It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User
Heavy Infant Car Seat

My daughter is 5 months old and is probably close to 18 pounds. I know the infant car seat is fine to use until she is 22 pounds, but I have to tell you, it's getting HEAVY! It is convenient because it's as simple as popping her out of the car and into the shopping cart; however, I'm noticing more and more lately that I'm having a difficult time lifting her back into her base and it's taking it's toll on my shoulders and lower back.

My concern is, although she sits in her exersaucer at home, she does not sit up by herself yet and I'm concerned about situations such as when I do need to food shop and would need to put her in the front of the cart - it makes me nervous because she can't sit up on her own yet and am afraid she will wobble around in there. I do have one of those covers for the shopping cart seat, but not sure if that will help with holding her up.

Did anyone else have this problem or concern, and if so, how did you handle it? Should I just suck it up and leave her in her infant car seat for a while longer?

Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Heavy Infant Car Seat

Hi there,

I am currently having the same problem! My son is just over 4 months old, and he weighs about 16 lbs, but his carseat alone probably weighs almost 10 lbs (I'm not a very big person, so lugging that thing around is tough!), AND we have an SUV, so it's quite hard for me to get him in and out of the base by myself. I have to crawl up into the truck and use all my upper body strength to get that darn thing out. I will continue to use the seat until he is either 22 lbs, or 29 inches (whichever comes first I guess), because even with the heaviness issue, I think it is more convienient to have one that is able to be removed from the car. With the cart issue however, I'm not too sure what you can do about that since she's not able to sit on her own yet... I would probably just wait to get her into a bigger seat, because as you said the stationary ones are so darn inconvienient... Sorry I don't have any advice for you--I just wanted you to know you're not alone!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I have 3 kids under 4 years and grocery shopping is very hectic. My 3 month old goes in a carrier. I strap her in to the front carrier and she loves to sleep against my chest while we shop. This way I can put my 2 year old in the seat and my 3 year old can walk. You might want to try this. It can get a bit heavy on your back and shoulders, but it's easier than trying to fit your stuff in the cart around them. I would wait on the cart cover. If they fall to the side, they can really bump their head.

Unfortunately they only get heavier! They have to remain in the rear-facing seat until 1 year regardless of size b/c of the ability to control neck movements in the case of an accident. You'll find soon enough, when they can sit up on their own, that it's easier to just take them out of the car w/out the seat.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i got rid of our infant seat a couple of months too soon and i regretted it horribly!!! my baby sat well on her own, but she was so little, the middle of her head hit right on the edge of the grocery cart seat and when the cart went over any little bump, she bumped her little head and would just cry and cry. stupid me it took a few trips to the grocery store before i figured this out and i felt like the worst parent ever!!!

anyway, yes, it's heavy, but it's not near as bad as having to deal with keeping your baby comfortable and happy without it!

i did have a friend who would take her baby out of the infant seat, then carry baby and the infant seat seperately into the store and then put the baby back in to the infant seat in the grocery cart once inside -- she had terrible back problems and this was her solution. it worked for her, but i thought she was nuts!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

It'll only be for a month or two until your baby can sit up, but why don't you get the convertible carseat and start using that awhile. (Remember, it will have to be backwards until your baby is one.) But you could keep the infant seat that you were using in the trunk and still use it when you are using a cart. That way you're just lifting your baby from one seat to the other.

I didn't do this...I lugged mine until about 7 months old. But it is a thought.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should enjoy the convenience (not the back pain) for as long as I can. My daughter behaves wonderfully to new situations and whenever I have to lug her to stores, so I guess as long as she is comfortable then I should just go with it for a bit longer.

Thanks very much for all the opinions - greatly appreciated!!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sem627 View Post
It'll only be for a month or two until your baby can sit up, but why don't you get the convertible carseat and start using that awhile. (Remember, it will have to be backwards until your baby is one.) But you could keep the infant seat that you were using in the trunk and still use it when you are using a cart. That way you're just lifting your baby from one seat to the other.

I didn't do this...I lugged mine until about 7 months old. But it is a thought.
just a word about convertible seats.... i wouldn't do it until you have to! i thought it was hard reaching my daughter from the front seat when she was in her infant seat, until we moved her into the convertible seat! it's so tall, and awkward to reach around! plus it's sitting up, so it's tough for babies to drink their bottles - especially if they're not really good at holding them!

anyway, obviously most babies outgrow their infant seats before they're a year old, and you'll HAVE to go convertible rear facing, but i wouldn't until you have to! of course, i take a lot of roadtrips with my two, and no husband, so i have a lot of bad memories of driving, and trying to reach around that dreaded seat!!!

Last edited by mcr285; 09-14-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

We love our convertible seat. Never had a problem with it. And as an added bonus, instead of having slots that the straps have to be moved to, ours has sliding straps for a perfect fit!

Closed Thread