It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
1 month old sick

Hi everyone. My 1 month old DS is sick. Caught it from my DD. His nose is really stuffy, that is all that is bothering him. No fever or anything. Anyways how can I help him? I bought a sucksioner (sp?) for his nose and I have given him some saline drops. But the nose sucksioner hasn't worked to well and you can only give the saline drops 3x a day. Is there anything else I can do for him? I don't have a humidifier, I am going to ask to borrow my mother's tommorow. Thanks for the help. Sherri

Old 09-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User
Re: 1 month old sick

its awful when you have a sick newborn as there isnt really much you can do, but if your baby is really stuffy, just run a hot bath with the door closed, and sit in the room with newborn, the steam always helped alot with mine when they were small. you can get a baby balsam run where you rub on their chest tp help clear it but if i remember rightly you can only ise this when they are 4+ months.

sorry i couldnt be more help but i hope your baby gets better soon x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

use a cool mist vaporizor,not warm,also i always have used the sudacare plug ins

Old 09-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

You definitely want a vaporizer. We got a Vicks one at Walmart (I think pharamacies carry them as well). We really noticed a difference when we got it - it worked well. We close up everything in DS's room when he sleeps and allow the room to get warm and humid. It really helps with breathing.

Also, I thought it was a warm steam that you want - not cool? We use warm. The warm steam is similar to the shower like gemma mentioned. You can put some Vicks menthol in the water and the room will steam up and smell like menthol. It helps a lot.

Best of luck, I hope your little one feels better soon.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 09-15-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I was always told by my ped to use a cool mist humidifier, not warm. I suppose it is a matter of preference by the doc. Also, the saline drops and suction will work wonders although you little one is going to be very unhappy. I hope your little one feels better soon.

Amy

Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i think the difference between warm and cool mist has more to do with the safety of the appliance being used, and not the mist itself (the warm mist humidifier can get pretty hot and dangerous for a child to be around). i could totally be making this up, but i'm pretty sure that is what my doc told me.

do you close up one of baby's nostrils before aspirating the other? it's the only way i could ever get it to work on my girls.

also, i have always used vicks baby rub on my girls when they get sick. it works great! i put a little bit directly under their noses, and then rub some on their chests and even some on their pajamas too. i don't know how old they are supposed to be to use it on them, but i started using it on my younger daughter before she was a month old. you might check with your doctor though.

hope he clears up soon!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

They now sell a Vicks vapo rub for babies. It's the same only a little less strong.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I believe for the baby rub they have to be 3 months old?? Oh, and the reason that you shouldn't use a warm mist humidifier is that it is easy to inhibit mold and mildew. It can still happen in a cool one too. But, mold likes the warm damp air more. However, I think no matter what you use, if you clean it weekly you will be just fine. I know how this is. My DD had a cold at 2 weeks old, and so far (knock on wood) Hunter hasn't had one!! Another suggestion is to give a menthol bath. You can buy (Grins and Giggles) Vapor Bath. You just add it into their bath....this is soothing and warm. Also, elevate the head of his mattress, or get a wedge positioner. This will keep his airways more open. Also helps for acid reflux with my guy. Sorry he is going through this, but know that they last about 10-14 days and then he will be all better.

Closed Thread