It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User
6 month old sick, what to do?!

so my youngest turned 6 months today, he caught a cold form his older brother. he has a cough and I think a slight sore throat, had it for about 4 days now, i have used the cook mist humidifier but its not doing anything, also, i know you can elevate the crib matress but its pointless because he dont sleep in one spot, he does mainly cough when he is in bed though, he is also sneezing, the doc said to give him pediacare, ok well when i do that, he throws up, not spits out the meds, he actually throws up! his nose is not running or anything, idk what else to do for him, he is getting worse, im gonna call the doctor but they always say let it run its course...he has had a sligh fever of 100 since he became sick

Old 09-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User
Re: 6 month old sick, what to do?!

My daughter was never one to sleep in one place either, but elevating her crib matteress did help somewhat. I was constantly up checking on her when she was sick so I kept repositioning her.

The other thing I got was the vics vaporizor. It plugs in and has a little "night light". You put the little medicated pad onto the light inside and it disperses the vapors throughout the room. It worked wonders for both of my girls when they have colds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

My little man hasn't been sick yet but I'm sure it's terrible watching your little one feel so yucky. It really just sounds like he has a bug and it will have to run its course. I know that's not what you want to hear. My sister has two boys and they are ALWAYS sick in the winter. Her youngest always seems to get the cough and congestion. I know that she would run really hot water in the shower and get the bathroom full of steam and then run a bath for him and let him play for as long as he wanted and his cough and congestion would clear up for awhile. At least long enough for him to get some restful sleep. Also I have Johnson's "soothing vapor bath", it's supposed to comfort babies with colds. You might want to give it a try. I haven't had to use it yet but it sure smells like it would work. Hope your little one feels better soon.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for an infant when they have a cold.
I never elevated the crib with my middle child because he ended up upside down! Try a humidifier. It doesn't really do anything but keep the boogies around their nose from getting hard and crusty, which in turn makes for a miserable child! Tylenol for the fever of course. If you think they are running a high fever, bathe in a lukewarm bath. It will help lower their temp. I haven't tried the vapor plugs yet, but I think I might next time!! Hope your little one feels better soon!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

ok so here we go, i have the plug in thingy, i tried the hot shower in the bathroom, we are using the vapor bath, the humidifier is not working.
so last night he did not eat or sleep so come 6 am after a terrible night i called after hours care, they said to go to the hospital and they will check him out and try and give me something because he is so restless and not eatting well

Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorsMommy929 View Post
ok so here we go, i have the plug in thingy, i tried the hot shower in the bathroom, we are using the vapor bath, the humidifier is not working.
so last night he did not eat or sleep so come 6 am after a terrible night i called after hours care, they said to go to the hospital and they will check him out and try and give me something because he is so restless and not eatting well
I'm so sorry that nothing was able to help. I know those nights can be really tough. Let us know how everything goes at the hospital. Poor baby!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Poor little thing. Keep us posted on what's going on.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

so yesterday we went to the hospital, waited in the waiting room for over 2 hours, sat in the pediatrics area on a bed for an hour, then was finally seen...only to be told, everything is clear and she dont know why he is coughing, its just a little cold, well last night he slept better and today he playin a little more, but he has almost completely lost his voice and his cough is super deep, how can he not have a sore throat with this? i dont understand

Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

when he starts coughing, try taking him into a steamy bathroom for 15-20 minutes to see if that helps calm it down. it really sounds like he has croup. did he have the deep coughing while at the hospital? what kind of tests did they do on him? my daughter had croup over the summer, and she had the deep cough, and lost her voice too. no runny nose until she'd been sick for several days. when she'd start the bad coughing, we'd take her into the steamy bathroom and it would clear up for a few hours before it would get bad again. i sure hope he gets to feeling better!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

JuniorsMommy929 HB User

they did no tests at the hospital, it wasnt as deep then. they checked him out and told me to hit on his chest? every once in a while to loosen up the mucas...idk sounds weird but i have done it lightly, he is doin pretty good today the cough is not so deep anymore and he is coughing less

Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorsMommy929 View Post
they did no tests at the hospital, it wasnt as deep then. they checked him out and told me to hit on his chest? every once in a while to loosen up the mucas...idk sounds weird but i have done it lightly, he is doin pretty good today the cough is not so deep anymore and he is coughing less
glad to hear his cough isn't as bad today! it's so frustrating when our babies get sick and they can't tell us what's wrong with them! just so you are aware, when my daughter had croup, her cough was significantly better during the day, and got worse at night (that's when we did the steamy bathroom thing). SOOO, if your little one's cough gets worse and deeper at night, definitely do the steamy bathroom - it should clear it up for a few hours at least!

i hope your baby just has a yucky cold and is on the mend now, but i wanted to let you know about what my daughter went through so if it happens it doesn't catch you completely off guard! good news is that she got over it within a couple of nights!

Closed Thread