It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Exclamation Constipated 3 month old

About a month ago I switched my son from breastmilk to formula. (There were a lot of reasons for the switch.) Before the switch he would have a BM with almost every diaper change, so about 8- 10 a day. When he first switched entirely to formula he went about 3 days without a BM. Then he got into pattern of going about 2 times a day. (Only 2 poopie diapers a day? Yay for ME! lol) Anyway, for about a week now he's been having a REALLY hard time getting them out. He'll fuss and cry for as much as 2 hours and have really bad gas the whole time (even if I've given mylicon) before anything comes out. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything to do for the constipation. He is SO miserable when he needs to go. I can't even put him down or he starts balling. Oh, and he's on Nutramigen so I can't just try a different formula to see if that's what's causing the problem. Ok, any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User
Re: Constipated 3 month old

My son was constipated TERRIBLE, like... he went once every 3 days and cried while he did. It broke my heart. He was about 2.5 months when it got really bad. We tried pear juice, which worked well for about a week. Then we tried Karo syrup in his bottle which worked for a day or two. Finally at 3 months I was fed up with his dr. not doing anything, so I made a decision against what was recommended and gave him baby oatmeal. He loved it and finally started going to the bathroom everyday with no pain. It was great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

something i did when my girls were infants (my oldest got constipated one time around 2-3 months, and my youngest was constipated off and on from about 3-6 months!) was boil up a bunch of prunes using watered down apple juice. then after they've been cooking for about 15 minutes or so, i took about 2 ounces of the juice and mixed it with 2 ounces of water and gave it to my babies in a bottle.... OR i used the juice and mixed it with their oatmeal. when they got older, i took the actual prunes and pureed them to a good baby food consistancy and either fed that to them directly, or mixed it with their oatmeal and fed it to them. hope that made sense!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

An-
Check with your pediatrition first, but I had to resort to using the infant glycerin supositories with my daughter. Poor little thing had to strain so hard for her bowel movements- it just broke my heart. I also used dark Karyo syrup in her morning and evening bottles every day until I started noticing her bowel movements becoming a little more regular.

Another thing my pediatrician recommended was to give her 2 ounces of warm sugar water once a day to help.

I know it hurts to watch your little one suffer with something as simple as trying to go poop. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I read online (more than 1 place) that you can use 1/2 prune juice, 1/2 water in babies who are over 2 months old. Let me tell you, 2 ounces of that mixture worked WONDERS overnight. He had 7 bowl movements in 6 hours. And not just little dinky ones, I'm talking, it's a good thing he got changed when he did because he was about to leak out ones. I KNEW he was plugged up, lol. He's MUCH happier today. I think powdered infant formula was the culprit. He normally gets liquid concentrate, but I had powder that was expiring in less than a month I wanted to use up. (Trust me, I wouldn't have if I'd known THAT was gonna happen.) Well, thanks everyone.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Well, you poor thing! We have gone through so much with our little ones. I am sorry he is constipated! My guy strains and cries some with movements. But are you sure he was constipated? I mean...my gastro always asks me that and she specifically says that they would be little balls and hard. Not soft or "normal" looking. So, I was just curious. If he has gone that much, he may have been blocked a little. Good luck with him. I hope he feels better. It is funny though...I tried the concentrate that has been sitting in my cupboard. I mixed it up and he hated it! It mad him gassier and fussier and very unhappy. So, our guys are a little different after all, LOL! Has your guy been going alot of hours in between his feeds (when he eats 5oz)? My guy is going like 5 hours! It is scary, and the gastro told me that my ped was wrong! He should be eating 18 oz a day no matter when or how. I have calculated this the last couple days....and he just barely gets there. I almost think that if he has 3 oz every 3 hours...he gets more!!! So, I am lost for what to do. But, I am doing my best...and now he wants to eat that much some times. Sigh. Motherhood! LOL!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Nope, still has a bad rash. I just care that he is gaining weight and getting bigger. I think you are correct with just doing a weekly average. Problem is that the last few days he has cared more about sleeping than eating. I am really guessing that he is gowing through a growth spurt. My DD would eat constantly for days then sleep constantly for days. I guess they are the same in that aspect. My ped said he should be eating 5 oz every 3 hours, so like 40oz a day! LOL! The gastro really made me feel better by saying at least 18. Some days it has been less, some a little more. I am sure once this spurt is over, it will level off. As long as he is growing well, I guess I shouldn't worry. I am just your typical mom who listens to her stupid doc! LOL!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

oh i HATED those days when my daughter just wanted to sleep and wouldn't wake up to eat (i was nursing her then too!). so frustrating!!! but if i remember correctly, she was having a growth spurt and it didn't last too long.... thankfully! so sorry to hear he's still having the rash! that's so awful! i hate when our babies are hurting! i hope it clears soon!

ps - hey, it's generally good to listen to the doctor.... but be sure to listen to your mommy instincts as well!

Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

If you are using well water and an iron fortified formula mix, that can cause constipation. God bless

Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
If you are using well water and an iron fortified formula mix, that can cause constipation. God bless
We're on city water and it's proven that iron has no effect on constipation. Anyway, it was a one time thing and I've all ready talked to his doctor about it. I think it was probably from using powdered formula instead of liquid concentrate. I'm not sure WHY that would make a difference, but it's the only thing that was different. So, easy fix, just don't use powder in excess.
Thanks for the thought.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

sam673 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyre View Post
"it's proven that iron has no effect on constipation."
Where in the world did you hear that from? I know plenty of people who get constipated from iron!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

I was just going to say to get prune juice and water 1/2 ounce each and your little one will go the next day! I use this with my daughter. Im glad you had success!

Koukla

Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam673 View Post
Where in the world did you hear that from? I know plenty of people who get constipated from iron!
It's posted on every website I visited in search of help getting him "cleaned out" so to speak. Of course, I guess the doctors who posted those things didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

koukla:
That's exactly what I did, except it was an ounce of each. It worked WONDERS! lol

Last edited by baj406; 09-25-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Closed Thread