It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Babies 9-12 months - how many bottles a day?

My DS is 10 1/2 months and still takes about five bottles a day (about 5-6 oz. each). I was reading that babies at this age will only need about 3 bottles (7-8 oz. each) a day. I was wondering how many bottles your baby is taking?

My son gets plenty to eat during the day. I give him breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between.

I can't get him to drink bigger bottles though. I am not sure if it is even important, but I am curious as to what other babies are drinking?

I also posted about a month ago b/c my son still wakes at 4 a.m. each day for a bottle and then goes back to sleep. I think he is hungry (after 8 hours of sleep) b/c he is not getting more to drink during the day. If I could get him to take all of his formula between 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. then maybe he would sleep through the night and not wake early in the morning for a feeding?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Babies 9-12 months - how many bottles a day?

Kelto-
You know, there really isn't a "one size fits all"- especially when it comes to babies and feeding. My daughter was having rice cereal in two bottles a day when she was 4 weeks old, and then was actually being spoon fed rice cereal at 2 months old. My son on the other hand didn't actually start with rice cereal in his bottle until he was about 8 weeks old. And many moms absolutely won't do this because of the information out there about just when you are supposed to put babies on solids.

Babies don't usually over eat. They instinctively stop eating when they are full. I would venture to say that if your little one is ok as far as his weight and is not overweight, then he is ok.

Some babies burn those calories faster because of higher metabolisms or whatever so they require more frequent feedings. My daughter was one of those babies. She had a huge appetite but was never overweight. My son- not such a big eater but was not underweight.

Take care!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Hi Kelto, I actually was thinking about you this morning at 4am.
For a few days he was waking at 2am then again at 4 or 5 for his bottle. So I let him CIO at 2. NOW he sleeps through the 2am waking (then bottle at 4 or 5), but is waking at 12:30 now instead!!! I feel like I'm losing my mind!!

But, to your new question...
My DS takes 4oz early, 4 or 5, then another 4oz at 8am, 8oz at around 10:30, then at 3:30 sometimes 4oz sometimes 8oz. If he takes 8 oz he'll take another 8 oz at 7:30pm, But if he only takes 4oz, he'll take 4oz at 6pm then another 4 oz at 7:30pm....

Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Hey Jelly. Yeah, I am beginning to think our babies are just wired to wake! Seems like your little one is eating pretty well and should not be waking. Ho hum....hopefully we won't be doing this until they are 2 years old.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User

Kel -- Lorelei will be 10 months on Friday and is still drinking 30 oz./day -- 5 bottles of 6 oz. each. Though, she only drinks 4 oz. at a time, then the other 2 oz. 30-45 minutes later (due to her GERD, I guess).

I've tried starting to wean her from bottles by replacing one bottle a day with the formula in a sippy cup, but she literally just "sips" on it -- not drinking the whole 6 oz. Of course, this means she gets less calories as the day goes on, so she wakes up hungry at night. So, I went back to 5 bottles a day. sigh.

Since she had dropped from 50% to 20% on the weight chart at her 9 month checkup, I've figured I'll just forget about the "supposed to" rules and go with what works for her.

Closed Thread