It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Please help. am I alone!

Hi moms! I have a 17 month old daughter, she is just wonderful! I have a problem, I noticed my hair is much thinner now, in the front mostly! I don't think I loose to much! I did loose a lot after she was born but my hair is not what it used to be.....I had my thyroid checked out, all came back normal.
anyone else!
Also my daughter still drinks a bottle!! yikes

Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Please help. am I alone!

What was normal? Did they only check your TSH? If so was it with in the 0.3 - 3 normal range or one that predates this acceptance in 2003. Also Normal doesn't mean normal for you. You want optimal. Hair loss is a big sign of hypothyroid especially post partum hypothyroid. Post on the thyroid disorder board. Also get a copy of your lab results and post them with the ranges.

Also if they are just monitoring your TSH, this is insufficient. You should have your TSH, FT3, FT4, T3 Uptake and since this is beyond the 6-12 mo post partum reset phase you may be looking at an AI (autoimmune disorder) triggered by your pregnancy. In particular Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I know.. this is what happened to me. To confirm Hashi's you need an antibody blood work screening. This is a blood test for TPOAb and TGAb. Your OB should willinging draw and look into this for you.. or refer you to an endocrinologist. Most analytical labs are not up to code when it comes to current normal TSH ranges.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I'll have to check with my hairdresser, but they have this new line out especially for women that works WONDERS on hair loss. My sister lost a lot of hair from the Depo shot about 10 years ago. She started this regiment and her hair looks great! It consists of hair products and vitamins. I'll let you know what it is soon, I have to take my boys in for a haircut next week.

As to the bottle, don't worry, I would start trying now to get your daughter off the bottle and using a cup. My doctor was pretty strict on getting the bottle away by 18 months. With my first It took until 18 months to pry it from his grubby hands. My second was much easier. They do make cups that have a "bottle like" nipple you can start with. It's harder for the parent than the child! Remind yourself of that and hopefully you'll be able to do it Most parents, including myself, are afraid to take something away because they think the child won't be able to survive without it. To be honest, after a day or 2, my son forgot all about it!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I can ask my GP. I monitor what I am loosing now and it isn't a lot. I lost a lot after she was born, I have new little hairs sticking up but It just seems thinner in the front, maybe i am obsessing about it to much. I really appreciate your reply's. I would like to know what shampoo though.
My dd drinks form a cup but still likes a bottle before naps and bedtime.
she is soooo spoiled

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User

My daughter is almost 20 months and still has her night-night bottle before nap and bedtime. I see it as a form of comfort for her. I think as long as she is drinking from a cup or sippy cup during the day it is fine. She's still a baby. You will know when she is ready. It's going to be a big deal so actually make sure you are both ready.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

worrywort,

I was thinking about your hair loss and remember after having my son I noticed hair breakage. I had little hairs where my bangs used to be. I get highlights and didn't realize that the last girl who used to do my hair, ended up breaking off my hair while processing it. For the longest time I thought that I was loosing hair! Just a thought in case you do get your hair colored. The new girl doesn't touch those finer hairs to help prevent it from happening again.

Closed Thread