It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
(female)

jasminesmummy HB User
Baby 6 months - struggling with teething

Hi
I posted a thread on the diet and nutrition board for my 6 month old daughter but didn't get many replies.
Can anyone help?
For the last couple of months my daughter has been teething, she seems fine during the day but still struggling to sleep through at night (she never has done). Last week she developed a cold and a dry cough.

For a few weeks now her milk intake has slowly been reducing (she's been on solids since 4 months - and will eat anything) she now only has roughly 12 oz milk daily and most of that is at night! In fact she doesn't seem to like any type of fluid at all and am really struggling to get water, juice, milk or any other fluid into her. She will only drink a bottle when she's half asleep and i know i'm setting myself up for problems getting her to fall asleep alone later (as she 's always been very good at this before).

I was told that her reluctance to drink may be due to her teething and sucking on a teat/beaker may hurt her, so i tried to give her calpol 1/2 hour before her feed before bed and this seemed to help a bit. I've also increased her intake by adding to her food and giviong yogurt and cheese. I'm still worried about her fluid levels as she has been sore (i think her wee is too strong as undiluted by fluid) and also will she ever sleep through!!! I've now gone back to work so am finding it more difficult to get up with her in the night - but need to as it gets some milk in her - what should i do nexxt???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: Baby 6 months - struggling with teething

Have you tried giving her tylenol? I'm not sure what "calpol" is as I've never heard of it. As far as not eating, you need to talk to her doctor.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
(female)

jasminesmummy HB User

Thanks for your reply - i think the medicine you talked of is the same sort of thing - a paracetomol based liquid for babies. I spole to my health visitor today, she said that don't worry about the milk issue as she's having enough vitamins in her solid diet now and her weight gain is fantastic!! She also gave me a free flow beaker and she will drink water from this - so am feeling much better now!!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

biggreeneyes HB User

hello, i understand why you are concern. But it is really normal for children not to eat or drink when their teethare comming in. I sugest if you are really concerned then give your child ice pops maybe pedylite, or jice pops. Have you heard of Humphries 3 It's the best for teething will only find in old drug stores like Rite aide

Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

To keep my little one comfortable when her teeth start really bothering her, I give her Infant's Tylenol and then rub Baby Oragel on her gums. The Oragel doesn't last very long, but it definitely helps sooth her until the Tylenol kicks in for the pain. I would normally do this 1/2 hour to an hour before feeding.

Good luck!

Closed Thread