It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Infant Helmet to correct head shape - any experience?

Has anyone else's baby had to wear a helmet to correct his/her head shape? DS started out with a strong peference of sleeping with his head turned to the left (while sleeping on his back). At first we didn't think much of it, but it has caused the top of his head to skew severly to the left, a bulge on the back of his head, and his right ear to be farther back than the left. Thankfully, it's not noticable unless you're looking for it and he has hair to hide it, but when he's sitting on my lap facing out, I can see it. It's cosmetic but the dr. mentioned at his 2 month appointment (when I pointed out my concern) that he'll give us a month to try to force him on his right, and if his head shape doesn't go back to normal that way, he'll prescribe a helmet that he has to wear 23 hours a day. Next week is his 3 month checkup, and his head shape is getting better but it's still an issue, despite our efforts, so I'm pretty sure he's going to end up in a helmet.

I've never seen a baby with a helmet. Is it really attrocious? How long do they normally have to wear it? I'm hoping that since his head is still pliable he won't have to wear it very long. Does anyone else have experience with infant helmets?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User
Re: Infant Helmet to correct head shape - any experience?

Although it looks pretty weird, make sure you keep it on as long as the doctor suggests. My niece had a completely flat head in back. My SIL took the helmet off a few weeks before she was supposed to and now that the baby is 2, her head is still relativity flat in back. Her hair kinda hides it, but it's enough when her hair is pulled into a ponytail, you can see the drop off. Your child most likely will not mind the helmet. My niece didn't mind it at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I know a lot of people who have had to use the helmets and all have been horrified at the prospect of it, but later say it was not that big of an issue at all. You would be surprised how often this does happen. A friend of mine had twins last year and they both needed to wear the helmets for only a few months. They look great now!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

have you attempted a side positioner to keep him turned on the other side? it might be worth a shot before having to resort to the helmet! i've only known one baby who had to wear a helmet and it wasn't that big a deal, you could tell she didn't love it, but she didn't seem to just hate it either. her mom was pretty self conscious about it though, and i always felt bad for her... anyway, hope it all works out!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Thank you for the reassurance. Yes, we've been using a sleep positioner and propping him up on the other side. We've also been feeding him on the other side, as well as doing everything we can to keep his attention focused in the other direction for the past few weeks. It's getting better but is still noticable when we look for it. Thankfully, it's not something anyone else notices. He goes to the doctor on Friday and my gut tells me that he's going to put him in a helmet at this point while his head's still pliable. I'll take your advice and not stop it earlier than the doctor recommends.

I hate the thought of him having to wear a helmet and am trying not to beat myself up over not noticing until it became noticable. I knew he had a strong preference for sleeping on his left side, but I didn't think anything of it, and no one ever told me to alternate sides and force the issue. He's my 3rd baby but I didn't have this issue with either of my girls. It is what it is, I guess, but I'm glad we still have time to correct it before it becomes a permanent problem.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

Thanks for this thread. I just realized my DD's head is not round, so I guess we'll have to see the doc about this. She definitely prefers her left side, and when I was looking at her today, I noticed it's more flat on the back left side. Also, I noticed her right ear is now lower than the left, and that was not the case when she was born. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I swear, my DD has to get everything, lol.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Closed Thread