It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User
Question on Bottles

For those Mommies who already had their babies, I would love to know which bottles you are using and how you like them. I am not planning on nursing, so I will be using formula. I was thinking about the Avent bottles. Any opinions or insights on bottles would be appreciated!!!! Congrats
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
(female)

cmsaint HB User
Re: Question on Bottles

I have 4 children and I used the AVENT and Playtex drop in kind. I prefered the AVENT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

The Dr. Brown's bottles are great!!! They come in both the small and bigger sizes. Economically, I would buy the bigger size because your baby will be drinking bigger portions sooner than you think. They look really funny, but they work so great! They prevent air from getting into baby's tummy, and leads to less gassiness and spit up. You can find them at your EVERYTHING store. They're a bit pricey, but completely worth it!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I bought an abundance of Avent bottles which my son refused from his first feed. I also had problems with the Avent bottles leaking. He was happy with the Dr. Brown's, but happiest with the cheap Gerber bottles. They are sturdy, cost effective and last until sippy cup time. You just have to upgrade the nipples from time to time.

Amy

Last edited by sobannon; 09-30-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I really liked the Playtex drop in bottles for the first 0-3 months. Once my son started to drink more than 4 oz., I switched to Avent and have been using them since. I really like the Avent, but they do leak at times. They say you shouldn't screw on the top too tightly or this does something to the seal. They are well made bottles though.

I suggest you only buy a few of what you like b/c you might need a certain bottle once your baby is born and then you could be stuck with many bottles that you don't use.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i really hated the avent bottles.... too many leaks, too big for baby's hands, too much trouble! like cheap gerber bottles and cheap evenflo bottles (they're pretty much the same). in my experience, a baby without feeding issues (colic, more gassiness than usual, etc...) does well on just about any bottle, just depends on what mommy likes. my first was this way, she took whatever bottle we gave her and was just happy to eat. my second was gassy and fussy and colicy, and she did best with playtex nursers (we used parent's choice drop-ins) and then we switched to evenflow bottle and got the tri-flow nipple after about 6-7 months.

someone else mentioned it, and i'd have to agree..... only buy a couple of bottles until you find the one baby likes best!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Okay, I have 2 children. One who is 3 1/2 years now. She liked the Platex nursers and I loved them (at first) and used them with her until she was 1. At a year, I just gave her whole milk and I tired of using the drop ins. So, I just got cheap regular Parent's Choice bottles. She did fine with these. I was bad and didn't take her off the bottle until 18 mos. Plus she refused to even hold her own bottle until 13 mos. She is lazy! LOL! Now, my son, has colic and gass and also a milk protein allergy. He is currently 3 months (1 adj.), so I have more experience trying to please him with bottles (and myself!). YOU have to like them too! LOL! I started with the Nursers, b/c I liked them so much with my DD. However, (He is a screamer when he is hungry, so I need to warm bottles quickly) I microwave the formula (very low, like 10-20 secs) and shake it well before feeding to prevent burns. Anyway, the liners (no matter WHAT brand) would leak every now and then. EVEN when I DIDN'T nuke them. They never did this with my DD, so they have been made cheaper over the years. After this kept happening, and I tried other brands, I decided to switch. I had to be careful about the gas, and he liked wider nipples. Fortunately, Playtex also makes Ventaire. These are great, love them! They come in wide and standard sizes, and are easy to clean and care for. I would have used Dr. Browns, but he likes the wider nipples. He does very well on these, hardly gets gassy. Whatever bottles you choose, he will do okay with. Truthfully, what they start out with is more likely what they are going to like.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Prior to having my daughter, I purchased both the Dr. Brown bottles and the cheaper Gerber bottles. She had a difficult time with the Gerber bottles because she was taking in a lot of air so I switched to the Dr. Brown bottles and they have worked great. I never tried the Avent bottles, but friends have told me they had problems with leaks, so I stayed away from them.

Congratulations and good luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Dr. Brown's first choice and Avent as second choice. Dr. Browns are a pain in the butt to clean, but well worth the extra couple of minutes of cleaning time.

good luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

srivera HB User

We use the Ventaire bottles and they work pretty well. Cleaning can be a pain sometimes but I like that the bottom screws off to make hand washing easier. The standard bottles have worked better for us than the wide ones have. We have tried a few different bottles and the Ventaire have worked the best for our munchkin.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi

Dr. Brown's bottles are the best!!! My daughter hasn't ever spit up and we have been using these since we started her on formula. I really think it is b/c of the dr. brown's bottles. I agree they are a pain to clean but definately well worth it!

Good luck!!!

koukla

Old 10-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

Dr. Brown's bottles are our first choice and Ventaires second choice. I've tried about 4 different bottles, and for my gassy, colicky, possibly milk allergy daughter, those two bottles work the best to keep the gas down as much as possible. Only problem with the Ventaires is if you use a bottle warmer, they don't recommend you use these with a bottle warmer, which is why I like the Dr. Browns bottles the best. By the way, if you ever do decide to use a bottle warmer, get the First Years Night & Day bottle warmer, it's the best and quickest and also has a cooler on the back so you can keep 2 other bottles cool at night and you don't have to even go to the kitchen. That's the main reason we even got a bottle warmer, and now I'm hooked--so we have another one for the kitchen during the day, but it's not as good as the one in the nursery.

Good luck with your bottle choice. I also recommend just to see what works for you and your baby. You'll probably end up buying other bottles, despite what you think you'll like...at least that's what happened to me.

Cmarie--I'm so excited for you upcoming miracle baby!!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Last edited by Heyknack; 10-01-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Thank you all so much for the help! Your advice really helps

Heyknack- It is so good to hear from you Congrats on your little baby girl.

cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

Thanks cmarie! She is such a blessing, we can't believe how lucky we are. I know you will feel the same--probably even more so with all you've been through. Just 2 more months left though!! I'll be thinking about you and I wish you a fairly discomfort-free next couple months and a smooth delivery and recovery for you and baby!!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

I bought every possible bottle & tried them all!!! Now I have a big huge bag of bottles to give away. Unfortunately I did the same with pacifiers since DS wouldnt suck the first one I got. I ended up using Dr. Browns. Let me tell you they were a huge life saver!!! Yeah its a bit of a pain to clean them out but soooooo worth it. If you fill them with cold water just after your feeding its much easier when cleaning time comes.

Closed Thread