It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

xpistiva77 HB User
my 6 month old will not drink her formula

my daughter is 6 months and only weights 14 pounds, she stopped drinking when i stopped nursing. doctors did not want to change formula but we went to a GI and he change it. she has always been on a hypoallergenic formula and still is but never wants to eat. doctors say its ok but she only eats 16 to 20 oz a day and they tell me its not from teething, also they tell me not to force her it could get worse. i don't know what to do anymore i've tried everything ....... please any suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: my 6 month old will not drink her formula

I would personally take cues from the child. My son is 3 months old and not even 10 pounds yet so I can appreciate the weight concern. I let him do his own thing. Right now he's eating great but is beginning to develop an adversion to his bottle. (I think it's b/c of his reflux, it seems to be painful for him to eat right now.) Anyway...I do believe that trying to force it will only create a battle of the wills. I just offer and when he makes it clear that he's had enough I stop. He takes anywhere from 18 - 24 oz/day. It just depends. I hope she starts eating better soon but just try and not stress until she does. Good luck to you.

Last edited by baj406; 09-30-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

vigette HB User

at 6 months old she should also be on foods too??? right??? SO if you try adding the 20 ounces of formula onto it, I would think she would be ok.

I would def. try incoeporating food into her diet ( unless the docs advised against it) but I dont see why??

Old 09-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
(female)

xpistiva77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigette View Post
at 6 months old she should also be on foods too??? right??? SO if you try adding the 20 ounces of formula onto it, I would think she would be ok.

I would def. try incoeporating food into her diet ( unless the docs advised against it) but I dont see why??

yes she is also on solids but really isnt in to them. only sometimes she eats them again only when she wants i guess

Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

xpistiva77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyre View Post
I would personally take cues from the child. My son is 3 months old and not even 10 pounds yet so I can appreciate the weight concern. I let him do his own thing. Right now he's eating great but is beginning to develop an adversion to his bottle. (I think it's b/c of his reflux, it seems to be painful for him to eat right now.) Anyway...I do believe that trying to force it will only create a battle of the wills. I just offer and when he makes it clear that he's had enough I stop. He takes anywhere from 18 - 24 oz/day. It just depends. I hope she starts eating better soon but just try and not stress until she does. Good luck to you.

thanks i know deap inside to just let her tell me but if i do that i feel like the oz will decrese

Old 09-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Also...keep track of her intake on a weekly basis rather than daily. If you watch it day by day you'll go nuts but watching it weekly will give you a better idea of her AVERAGE daily consumption.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

did she stop nursing because of weight gain problems, or digestive problems? did she have problems with eating when she was nursing? does she have to be on hypoallergenic formula for digestive reasons, or did the doctor put her on it because she wasn't eating? how are they sure it's not due to teething?

there are loads of reasons a baby refuses to eat. if she wasn't having any problems with nursing, but quit eating when you quit nursing, she may just be rebelling because she wants to nurse (yes, even at 6 months they rebel.... sigh!), and so will only take formula when she HAS to. it might be that she hates the formula, and again, will only take it when she HAS to.

have you tried a dose of ibuprofen 20-30 minutes before offering formula? have you tried a different bottle? did the doctor look at her ears to make sure she doesn't have an ear infection?

if she doesn't have an intolerance or an allergy, i'd recommend trying a different formula (not hypoallergenic) and a different bottle (playtex nursers are GREAT for transitioning from breast to bottle!). good luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
(female)

xpistiva77 HB User

i stopped nursing only because i had to go back to work and pumping was not working for me. she was doing very very well nursing she gained weight before leaving the hospital and i very much regret stopping because ever since then she stopped eating. also i had to be on a very strict non dairy diet because she had blood in her stool more than once, so it was very hard for me busy at work and not being able to eat much not even a drop of whey or casein and much more. so i really feel guilty and there is no way back
i do use the playtex bottles i had tryed a few bottles and she liked the playtex. i have never tryed the ibuprofen what would that do and is that healthy every feeding

Last edited by xpistiva77; 09-30-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

i am sorry, that was kind of vague! i was thinking if she is teething, ibuprofen 20-30 minutes before a bottle might ease the teething pain and she might be able to eat more comfortably. it lasts 8 hours, so if you gave it to her before her morning bottle, it should last through most of the day. i wouldn't do that for more than two weeks though (too much ibuprofen can cause stomach problems over time), and i'd only do it that long if it seems to help. you can alternate between tylenol and ibuprofen (infant drops) too. AND, homeopathic teething tablets are amazing for teething pain! i know you said the doctors said it wasn't from teething, but how can they be sure???

so she has a milk protein allergy then? from what i understand, some babies do outgrow those protein allergies. have you offered a non hypoallergenic formula to see if she'd take it better than the hypoallergenic stuff? i know the hypoallergenic stuff smells horrible, and my younger daughter was on it for like a day and she hated it and refused to drink it! perhaps a change in formulas??? if you feel that it is constipating, offer 4 ounces of water once a day too keep things moving.

i've read somewhere that when you're having a rough time transitioning your child from breast to bottle, it helps to have skin to skin contact with your baby during bottle feedings. i've never tried it, but i have friends who swear by it!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr285 View Post
so she has a milk protein allergy then? from what i understand, some babies do outgrow those protein allergies. have you offered a non hypoallergenic formula to see if she'd take it better than the hypoallergenic stuff? i know the hypoallergenic stuff smells horrible, and my younger daughter was on it for like a day and she hated it and refused to drink it! perhaps a change in formulas??? if you feel that it is constipating, offer 4 ounces of water once a day too keep things moving.
I don't mean to be an instigator, but that's a very bad idea. If a child is allergic to something then it should NOT be given. An allergic reaction will be worse each time the offending substance is ingested. I know this from personal experience, I have a food allergy myself. DS is also on hypoallergenic formula and the LAST thing I'll do is switch him to something else w/out the doctor's approval.
It very well could be an objection to the flavor though. DS did something similar. He was getting expressed breastmilk. I wasn't producing enough so I supplemented with formula. He got so he refused the formula and would only take my milk so I HAD to put him on formula exclusively. She'll probably take it better with time. Just be patient and trust her doctors. You and her doctor are a team and should decided what's best for her TOGETHER. Good luck to you.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyre View Post
I don't mean to be an instigator, but that's a very bad idea. If a child is allergic to something then it should NOT be given. An allergic reaction will be worse each time the offending substance is ingested. I know this from personal experience, I have a food allergy myself. DS is also on hypoallergenic formula and the LAST thing I'll do is s***** him to something else w/out the doctor's approval.
It very well could be an objection to the flavor though. DS did something similar. He was getting expressed breastmilk. I wasn't producing enough so I supplemented with formula. He got so he refused the formula and would only take my milk so I HAD to put him on formula exclusively. She'll probably take it better with time. Just be patient and trust her doctors. You and her doctor are a team and should decided what's best for her TOGETHER. Good luck to you.

anhyre,
NEVER feel bad for correcting bad sounding advice!!!!

sorry about that, i did mean to say that you should check with your doctor about the non hypoallergenic formula first!

Last edited by mcr285; 09-30-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Closed Thread