It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User
Best ways to incline crib for reflux?

I just was wondering how other parents of acid reflux babies had inclined their cribs? I think it's necessary for us to do this as our DD is uncomfortable lying flat and I've just been putting it off. I've heard some people have inclined their crib mattress by putting something under the mattress, but I guess my concern is that this could create a gap between the crib and mattress and then that would be an entrapement or suffocation hazard. I have also been told to put things under the legs of the crib (books, bed risers) or put a chair under one end of the crib. So, what has worked for anyone else? I need first hand opinions!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Re: Best ways to incline crib for reflux?

When ds had a cold a few months ago I finally came up with a good idea, maybe it will help. I have a belly wedge for my belly during pregnancy, that I put under his mattress, and it elevates it just enough. Maybe this will help you, how are you guys BTW?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

I don't know how old your DD is so this may not be an option. I haven't inclined DS's crib YET as he's still small enough to sleep in an inclined sleep positioner. Anyway, his ped told me to just put a book or something under the mattress. You're only trying to create about a 30 degree angle so it won't make that much of a gap. (I was thinking of using something about the size of Harry Potter, nice and thick, lol)

Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

I use an actual 3-in-1 positioner that elevates them for reflux, and keeps them from rolling over. It is also Memory foam so that his head won't go flat, or as flat as it may without one. My DD had that so it was a concern this time. ANYWAY...I think you can get them for less than 20 dollars at walmart, Target, Babierus or our favorite auction site! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

DS has reflux and we have a wedge that goes under his crib sheet and matress pad. The one I bought spans the width of the crib and about 1/3 the length, so there isn't a concern with him getting trapped next to it. We originally tried putting books under the legs of the crib and he would slide down the crib, even though it was only a slight angle. This one is better because it only elevates his head and chest so his whole body doesn't slide. The sleep positioners are great in the beginning, but, depending on which one you get, they outgrow them at about 6 months. The wedge we got goes through the toddler years with the toddler bed too.

Our doc also recommended not putting him down in his crib for a half an hour after he eats, unless it's the middle of the night. That forced us to keep him awake after his feedings during the day and, just like my infant care books said, making an effort to keep him awake after eating during the day really helped him to sleep longer at night and sleep through the night earlier. He started sleeping through the night a good 2 months before DD did (we let her fal asleep with her feedings, which caused issues in the long run).

Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

Thanks everyone for your input, that really helps. Good to know putting something under the mattress isn't a safety issue.

Yes, we do keep her elevated for 30 minutes after eating, but unfortunately she is still uncomfortable lying flat. It isn't until maybe an hour and half has gone by that she can lie flat without problems (spitting up, crying, etc.).

Oh, and Dizzy thanks for asking how we are. Much better now-a-days! She had colic and some gastrointestinal issues which improved on her 4th formula change. But everything is coming together now. Just trying to help her to sleep better now! How are you??

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Last edited by Heyknack; 10-02-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Closed Thread