It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Smile Good Results

We got back from DS's appt for an Upper G.I. just a little bit ago. They strapped him to a little board and had him drink a bottle of barium, which he seemed to really enjoy, go figure, LOL. Anyway by the time I got home I all ready had a message on the answering machine from his Dr's office saying that the results were normal, which I'd all ready basically been told by the tech doing the test. The tech also said that just because he didn't happen to reflux WHILE they were taking x-rays doesn't mean that he doesn't have reflux. So it's good to know that everything is where it belongs and all that good stuff.
Anyway, I'm not sure what they're going to do next as far as trying to make him comfortable. I'm hanging back HOPING that increased Zantac will make a difference. He's still just SO clingy and uncomfortable. The only 2 things that calm him down are car rides (ok, I can NOT afford to drive him around constantly until he outgrows this) and twilight strolls. WHY twilight I will never know. He tolerates sitting in his Bumbo for about 5 - 10 minutes but then is uncomfortable and starts crying. It's even starting to affect his sleeping...*sigh* At least nighttime HAD been a time of quiet. Maybe I'll send him to his grandparents, LOL, j/k.
It just feels like I'm doing something wrong. Why can't I make my baby happy!? Okay, enough for now. I'll let y'all know if he gets any better. *crossing fingers*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

trvlr76 HB User
Re: Good Results

I'm glad the test was normal. I understand how you feel about not being able to keep your baby happy. My husband can attest to many bouts of me crying because nothing I did could soothe my baby. He always seemed to be uncomfortable due to reflux, and feeding time was a nightmare instead of a time of joy for him. I hated seeing him in pain, and not being able to do anything.

We just switched formula, which the Dr. told me was not necessary, and he is getting a little bit better now. The Dr. wanted me to increase Prevacid to 2 times daily. Instead I switched formula, and stopped the Prevacid all together. He seems to be spitting up more, but there is no pain like before. It's only been a week, but things seem to be better. I'm sure my husband is happier now, not having to console 2 babies.

I have to say, there are times when I do tell my mother to come and help me. I have to. I need to give myself at least a few hours of "me" time, or else I'll fall apart. Granted, the "me" time usually consists of a bath, but it does help. It puts me in a better state to take care of Soren. I swear, nothing is worse than seeing your baby in pain, and the daily act of watching that can become overwhelming.

You are definitely in my thoughts.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Hi there. Oh, I am so happy the results are good. What happened to putting him on Reglan? Was that only if the results weren't good? I still would just try switching his formula for one can. OH!! Just had a thought! CALL SIMILAC!! Get a free sample! If you explain your situation, they will send to a sample, or 2. Free is always good. Just go to there site to get the number. I am glad to hear it went well though. Hunter has a cold and I have to take him to the ped this afternoon, which is not pleasent, but with the RSV thing, we have to be careful. I am hoping they will give him his synargis shot today too. Is you little one getting this? I know it is expensive, but worth it. Plus, his insurance will cover one season of it. Otherwise it is like 1000 dollars per shot (once a month) YIKES! Take care and know that I am praying for you.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

When he saw the doctor earlier this week she made it seem like Reglan would be used IF the Upper G.I. indicated that there was a delay in his stomach emptying. We haven't been back though, so I don't really know what the plan is from here yet. She also mentioned that if those things don't work she might put him on a PPI.

His doctor brought up formula herself and said that we'd leave that alone.

I've heard talk about Synargis from other preemie moms but nobody's mentioned it to me. Yah, $1000/shot every month is a bit steep for us. I'm glad we have REALLY good insurance. His doctor did ask if he was going to be in daycare, but I don't know why. I hope everything goes well at the Dr's and Hunter starts feeling better. (I SOOOO love that name. We couldn't use it though. I work with a girl who has the same name I do and she named her son Hunter. That just would have been weird, lol.)
Okay...now to a couple weird things that have happened today. For one I noticed a bit of a rash on DS's face. He's had this rash before and I honestly thought it was baby acne last time he had it. That is, until it went away with a formula change. (AND my nephew had the SAME rash. It TOO went away w/ a switch to a hypoallergenic formula. That's a little too coincidental for me.) Also, I was laying him in his playpen to go fix bottles for him and the scariest thing happened:
He got this kind of glazed look in his eyes. (That's the best way I can describe it.) He was LOOKING at me but it was like he wasn't seeing me. Also, his hands, arms, feet and legs were kind of twitching. (Not convulsing, just twitching) This went on for about 5 seconds. Then he just snapped out of it and looked at me like NOTHING in the world was wrong and took his binky. It was SOOOOOO scary. I wasn't really sure what I'd just witnessed but knew my mom had had a son w/ a SEVERE seizure disorder so I called her and described it to her. She said it sounded like a Petit Maul seizure and that if it happened again I'd have to call the doctor. I've barely let him out of my sight since. I also told DH and he asked if I'd called the doctor. I know that you can have a FLUKE thing like that but I'm still freaking out.

Last edited by baj406; 10-05-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Closed Thread