It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Question International travel with an infant? Need a lot of advice.

So I will be meeting my husband in France for New Years. He's going first and I'll be traveling a week later with our DD, who will be just a few days shy of a year old.
I've only taken one plane trip with her and she ended up with an ear infection. This flight will be 7 1/2 hours! I'm thinking of trying to book an overnight flight so she'll sleep. Does this sound like a good idea?
Any advice of helping her get over the jet lag?
Also, once there we will be staying with family. I guess I'll bring the pack-n-play? (although she hates sleeping in it.) There is just so much stuff to pack in my mind... car seat, stroller, pack-n-play, diapers, formula, etc... I'll have tp pay extra on the flight.
Any advice on what to bring and what not to bring? Anyone have experience going overseas with a baby?
Many thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
(male)

poeticheretic HB User
Re: International travel with an infant? Need a lot of advice.

Well, I've NEVER flown with a baby, so I'm no expert, but these things did come to mind:
1.Try to get an overnight flight, as you said, so she may sleep during.
2.Take as little as you possibly can and buy things you need when you get there, like the diapers and the formula. Contact your hubby or family, if possible, and have him/them stock up before you arrive.
3. If that's not feasible, look into the cost of shipping some items to your family ahead of time.
4. I know there are some meds that adults use to ease their anxiety/motion sickness during flight. Ask your pediatrician if there is anything you can give your babe to sooth her during transit (I am in no way saying you should "dope your baby up," but if international travel is hard on an adult, I can only imagine how hard it would be for an infant.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

A couple of points..Yes, the night flight sounds good, and you must also consider yourself and your own rest. The problems may be at the other end with the strange surroundings, etc, and you will need to be able to cope. I have travelled with babies, and I have found that on a long flight they are often quite soothed by the engine noise/vibrations, and sleep for quite long periods anyway. The worst times are the takeoff and landing when you have to restrain them and their ears may block up and they can get quite upset. Jet lag is not really an issue for babies, as they can gradually have their sleep times adjusted. You may have a wide-awake baby earlier than you want tho. I agree with the poster about buying stuff when you get there. You will have to carry enough just for the trip without humping along a lot of other stuff. Just think about it, to you it is an big deal, to the baby it is just a couple of rearranged naptimes. Good luck, Sera

Old 10-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Thanks for your input. I'm going to buy diapers there, but I looked into also buying her formula there and they don't have it. So I'll have to send some before the trip.
I'll definitely book a non-stop, overnight flight if possible. It's more money, but it might help me keep my sanity.
I called the pediatrician who gave me a travel clinic number to call. Hopefully they can also offer some advice.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Can she sleep with you while you are in France? Maybe to help save lugging a pack and play. Sometimes hotels can provide a crib too, call ahead and ask. Hopefully you have a stroller travel system. You can pop her carseat onto the stroller and when you board the plane check the stroller at the door. Bring your formula, and plenty of diapers, but hopefully you can buy more there. I would bring essentials, but no overdo it. I travel with my husband for work and I bring a small stroller and she sleeps with us in bed. I bring 1 or 2 toys because usually we are out and about or she is happy running around the hotel room. I flew with my daughter a few weeks after she turned one and it was one way because we moved across the country and I made it okay, she only cried for 5-8 minutes while waiting to take off from Las Vegas and I heard someone complaining behind me. She flew all day and that was the one time she was upset, but it was because she was tired. Now she is 18 months and more active and I am scared to fly with her, afraid she will throw a fit, etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
(female)

annieles HB User

I have been searching everywhere for some advice on travelling with a baby. It is actually quite difficult to find some! There is a great baby site called gurgle.com which has a whole section on travel - I found this the most useful. (also if you register you can win £200) Let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread