It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Vegetarian food for an 11 month old?

My son is just about eating everything my hubby and I are eating, assuming it is healthy. I was wondering if it is OK to feed a baby garden burgers, soy hot dogs, and the other vegetarian foods you might find at the store (fake "chicken" nuggets, etc.) I know the hot dogs and burgers have to be healthier. Not sure about the fake chicken nuggets, but I do feed DS chicken breast. Anyone else feed their little ones these foods?

We are not a vegetarian household. I am just trying to keep healthy foods around.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 10-16-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
Re: Vegetarian food for an 11 month old?

Well, I am not sure, but babies do get Soy yogurt, milk, etc. I would just read the nutritional info. I have a theory...if you can read ALL the ingredients on something, (and know it is safe), then it should be okay. You will be surprised at how many things you can read/say. LOL! I am guessing that they are fine. We are a "meat" family and don't buy those (also b/c they tend to be costly), so I cannot really say...but I bet if you call your ped/nutritionist they can give you more insight. I would assume as long as there is sufficient amounts of protein and iron, they are fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
(female)

Jakeysmom HB User

Hello! Kudos to you for wanting to feed your baby healthier fooods! Just a little info on fat though- "good fats" are crucial for brain development in a child until 2 years old. You really shouldn't skimp on that. If you are going to give veggie burgers, etc that are lower in fat, you could make up for it by cooking them with a good fat like olive oil. Your doc can give you an idea of what percentage of fat should be in you LO diet.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

What an idea! I hadn't thought of that, but when my little one is old enough, if doc says it's ok, I might do that as well. Please keep us posted on what your ped says.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Thanks for the replies. I know that fat is good for babies, but they need fat from milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. and not so much from burgers, hot dogs and fries. I am not so much worried about fat - but the whole package - sodium, cholesterol, etc.

My nephews love hot dogs but my SIL hates for my nephews to eat them b/c they are so bad for you. So, she gives them the veggie dogs and they don't even know the difference.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I think that is a great idea. I do not eat meat or fish of any kind, but I love dairy and I have been that way since I was about 4-5 years old. I just never liked it. My husband eats meat, but I do not feed it to my 18 month old daughter mostly because I don't make it often. I don't like she needs it and she gets everything she needs in other foods. I like the hotdog idea, etc. Thanks!

Closed Thread