It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
tubes in ears?

Hi,

My dd is 6 months old and she has had 4 ear infections in the past 5 weeks. Well, this last ear infection was a big one and she ended up having to get 3 injections of rocephin antibiotic to clear it up. (her 3rd shot is tomorrow). Anyway, i had an appointment at an ENT tomorrow to schedule tubes in her ears. Has anyone gone through this and what should I expect. I feel so bad for her!!!

Koukla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User
Re: tubes in ears?

My sister had to have them done, but not so young. She was 5 years old. I don't know if they would be necessary for your daughter this young. Usually if fluid stays on the ears for 3 or more months, then they consider tubes, but maybe b/c she is so young they don't want to wait? I will keep your DD in my thoughts. And prayers. I know that they will put her under for this, and I would do some research on the net about her being so young. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

If she eats any cow dairy, think about taking her off it. That alone can often clear out most ENT issues. Cow products make humans produce mega mucous leading to this type of stuff.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. She definately needs to have this done b/c antibiotics are not working to clear up the infections b/c they are so bad and the fluid is killing her! This definately will help her feel better. I am waiting for the surgery center to call me and tell me what day, it will be either friday or monday. I am hoping for friday so she feels better. She is up screaming at night b/c she is in so much pain. They do put her under but it is only with a mask (gas) and it takes no longer than 5 minutes, which is good. So by the time I get to the waiting room she should be done. THe hard part is that she can't eat anything after midnight and since her little ears hurt she isn't eating a ton during the day so she is up at night eating twice. So, this is going to be hard to let her starve. I just need to keep telling myself that it is for the best, even though she doesn't understand, I will just comfort her back to sleep...I hope.

About the dairy. She isn't on anything yet. She is only on formula which is soy based and she is just starting baby foods. So, we can rule that one out.

Thanks again, and keep her in your thoughts...

Koukla

Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User

Otitis media is a common adverse reaction to some vaccines. It would suck to ignore such warning signs and then have a more serious reaction occur next time she gets shots.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

sita_s12 HB User

My son had tubes put in when he was a year old, he had 7 ear infections in a span of 3 months. I was at first upset that it was something I did or did not do that made him get these infections. After a lot of research and talking to many doctors and parents I found out that otitis media can be caused by not just one but many different species of bacterium. It's not something any one can control, why do some kids get them and otherr do not. Anyway my point is after the tubes, my son improved his speech, never had another infection and his tubes are almost ready to fall out on their own after an year. I can only tell you that the whole process has been an extremely positive one for him.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
(female)

Green Frog HB User

Hi there!
Ditto to the experience that was posted right before this one. DD got tubes when she was 11 months. FABULOUS! No more ear infections. Here is a brief summary of what happened. They took her into the operating room. Like 10 minutes later, she was out with tubes in, no problems. She was a little cranky from the anesthesia, but by the time we got home, she was fine. She took a long nap, and then was completely fine after that. Then, ear drops for the next few days. I know, it just stinks to think about them going in for surgery, but really, it was so good for DD and she can't be happier. She has had one other ear infection, but we just gave her some drops (didn't even have to go into the doctor) and it cleared right up. Also, our doctor said we didn't have to worry about plugs for bath time so we don't even have to worry about that either. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Our experience was almost identical to that of Green Frog. The one bit of advice I have is to ask them to avoid the pre op meds if you can. That is the part that makes them so cranky afterwards. Our DD had it done three times, and the one time she had it she woke up frantic and just couldn't settle down for about an hour. The other two times she didn't have it. The first time she woke up smiling (literally) and the second time without it she woke up just quietly asking for daddy. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Nancy

Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi there,

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with your children's tubes!!! I am a little nervous for Monday but Im sure everything will be okay. My problem now is whether or not we should pull her out of daycare and find a nanny at home. Im thinking that I am going to give daycare another try and see what happens after her tubes. Daycare is so much more affordable than an in home nanny. I just don't know what to do. We are interviewing a girl on tuesday so depending on how much she wants will be our decision factor. DH and I are only residents so we don't make any money at ALL! Its horrible what we get paid. My parents were visiting this weekend and offered to help with the nanny expense but we really don't feel comfortable taking their money...I mean geez, I'm 28, a podiatrist and have my own kid. It is so nice of them to offer but it will be very hard to live with myself accepting the money every month. DH is finished with residency in June which is only 8 months away and then we should definately be able to afford a nanny.

Thanks again I will keep you all posted on her surgery...Its monday morning at 7am

Koukla

Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

By 9 AM she will probably be acting as if nothing had ever happened! Keep in mind that she can still get infections with tubes, but they will be less painful and treatable with antibiotic ear drops rather than the oral type.

Nancy

Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

I'll be thinking about your little girl. My son had to have hernia repair about a month ago. I was really freaked out about the no formula after midnight but it actually turned out fairly well. He didn't get incredibly upset until after surgery and then the hospital got to deal with it. He was pretty much the first kid his surgeon did that day so DH and I only had to deal with him without formula for about 7 hours and he was all ready going 4 between bottles at that point. I hope everything goes well. :-) *HUGS!*

Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI the whole time i was reading your posts I kept thinking is the baby in daycare? Well I went through this myself with my son who is now 14 months. He started daycare at 4.5 months and within 6 months had about 5 ear infections and lots of antibiotics. The ENT recommended the surgery. However I decided to do an experiment and see if him getting constantly sick was related to daycare or not. I kept him home the whole summer since I am a teacher. However I was planning on working over the summer anyway but decided to keep him home. HE was fine, no illness no ear infection and was perfectly healthy. We started back in Aug. and by the 3rd day of school he was sick and within a week had an ear infection. Now 2 months later he is on his 3rd. I had other issues with the daycare as now that he is with the toddler kids he is constantly getting bitten. So I quit my job in the middle of the school year (I worked at the school he attended) and decided to try to just stay home with him for now. I really feel his health is going to improve. I really cannot afford to do this and we are going to have to sell our second vehicle in order to do this and probably be very very poor (which we are already) but in your case, if you can't stay home maybe consider an nanny or private home daycare with just a few children instead of the large amounts of kids they have in centers. good luck your post caught my eye because i am dealing with the same concerns right now.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I think it is true that they more often get sick when in daycare, but not always. I too am a teacher and for us with our DD, the summer out of daycare each year made absolutely no difference at all. She got constant ear infections whether she was home or not.

As far as the no food after midnight (and it may be too late now for this advice) but we were told that for ear tube surgery no food (including milk products) for four hours prior and that clear liquids were allowed for up to two hours prior to the procedure. Sometimes the people who work at the surgery centers give the same advice to all patients, but since they are out so lightly and for such a short period of time, it is different for this type of thing. At least that is what we were told, and did, with our DD each time.

Let us know how it goes.

Nancy

Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
(female)

sita_s12 HB User

Hi,

I posted before about my son. I had the same thought as you about daycare, my son started when he was 4 months old but he only started getting ear infections after 5 months in daycare. My friend's son is in the same class as my son, they have been together since the beginning and he has maybe had 1 ear infection in the two years together. So I don't know if day care is the only factor, the only thing I can say is that they do get sick more often in daycare but some kids are predisposed to getting recurrent ear infections.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies about my little one's operation. Well she had her tubes placed this morning and it went well. The dr. said that her ears were a mess! . She is a bit fussy today but that is to be expected.

On the daycare issue...we have about 5 interviews lined up for a babysitter to come to the house. Cross your fingers for us that we find a great one.

Thanks again everyone!
Koukla

Closed Thread