It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

kristi6190 HB User
Solids/off The Bottle...please Help

i've posted this on childrens health and haven't gotten any answers...
please help...i'm a first time mom of a 8 month old and my question is how do i know how much of solids to feed my baby? (jars and just regular table food.) she gets a vegetable at lunch time and a fruit mixed with baby rice around 6pm and i give her just bites of bread or crackers/ricecakes whenever i'm eating something she can have. i just don't understand when to go all to tablefood. how much should i be giving her? when should i wean her off the bottle? it seems no matter how much other foods i give her she'll still always take a bottle afterwords. I'm so lost! this whole thing confuses me. when i go grocery shopping should i buy table food i can feed her? or keep just giving her peices of mine? and whats ok for her to eat? any meat? or just meat jars of food? i havent even given her that yet. shes never tasted meat. anyones who has gone through this stage already....
PLEASE HELP!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User
Re: Solids/off The Bottle...please Help

When my DD was about that age, we really had her only on the rice cereal and baby food fruit and all of the stage 2 foods I think. She is 16 months now. You daughter is going to need her formula until she is age 1 when she can switch to whole milk so I wouldn't wean from the bottle until then. You can start giving her a sippy cup though with her formula in it, I did that around that age. As far as what foods, again, we stuck with the baby food only at that age. A sample of what we fed around that time was rice cereal mixed with stage 2 fruit then about a 4-5 oz. bottle of formula for breakfast, baby food for lunch and then formula and the same for dinner. She always liked green beans and carrots although now she hates regular green beans now . As far as table food, to me 8 months is too early, I think we really didn't start ours on table food until closer to 1 year but everyone is different. You can try yogurt and table foods to start with are maybe toast or grilled cheese sandwiches cut into tiny bites. But she is definitely going to need her formula for a while. Just feed her until she seems full and then give her the bottle. Just make sure she is still getting the recommended amount per day. You don't want to cut back on the formula too much because she is gettng all her vitamins that way. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
(female)

welsh_becca HB User

my little girl is 10 months today and has 3 solid meals a day with snacks in between she also has meat and loves it i would try her with a little bit just introuduce it slowley mine also loves fish she will eat crab sticks untill they come out of her ears i give her one has a snack also has ricecakes and bits and bobs but with the milk issue i would just start to try and give her 1 bottle in the morning with her breakfast 1 in the afternoon and 1 at bedtime my little 1 has 3-4 bottles a day with 7oz when my little one was your littles age i tried to introuduce as much food as i could so she had a different range not just borining veggies all the time

good luck

becca

Old 10-20-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
(female)

cassie2 HB User

First off....there is no set rules and regulations.
My 2 are now 22 and 20.
with my son ,first born, at 8 months, he would eat cereals or boiled egg in the morning, perhaps have a bottle mid morning, some mashed fruit around lunch-time, a bottle of juice( we lived in the tropics) or water, then mashed vegies for dinner...I also breastfed him till he was 18 months.Hes now 6ft tall, and eats take-aways and drinks coca-cola by the gallons!
my daughter was entirely different, she ate everything in site, had thunder thighs, was eating roast meat at 6 months....loads of fruit etc.
But the main rule, if they are hungry just fed them.You really cant go wrong.
ps, my daughter is now 20, 5'11, and a body to die for.and she still eats everything in sight.!
Just do what feels right, not what the books say.There is really no right or wrong way.If she seems hungry( grizzly ) then give her something to eat.
BY the way..both my children still had bottles at the age of 4, they just like to suck on something, be it a bottle of water, or juice.
She will be fine!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

thank you ladies sOoOoOo much for the advice! i think i kinda have an idea on how to do all this. I'll probly do the 3 solids a day thing(with snacks). oh Cassie2 she IS always hungry! she'll eat anything i put in her mouth!! her dads 6'2", and i weight less than 120lbs and shes got the most rolls i've ever seen on a baby! everyone always says she isn't our kid! i love it though...theres nothing like a chubby baby. shes beautiful. thanks again girls! if you have anymore suggestions i'd love to hear them! kristi

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I was so happy to see this post! I have so many people telling me my 6 month old should be eating so much more than she is and it makes my head spin thinking I'm a dope because I'm behind or something. Right now she is mainly on two veggies a day with some fruit and all the rest bottles and the thought of prepping for table foods soon seems so far away. Same with the sippy cup - I need a manual for when all this stuff should start!!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

yah thats another one...when do we start using the sippy? i've introduced it already, she didnt know what to do with it because the spill proof made it impossible to get any juice out! Luckydarlin i'm glad it helped you too...i thought surely i'm not the only one lost and confused about all of this! we do need manual's for all this. honestly we need a day by day, hour to hour manual to help us get the hang of it all!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 AM   #8
(female)

welsh_becca HB User

you can start using a sippy cup from around 6 months they will find it diffucult at first my little one is 10 months and still dont understand to drink from it you've got to tilt your head back good luck

becca

Closed Thread