It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User
he's out of hospital, update on him and his excema

ty to everyone who took the time to read my post and to all those who replied, he was discharged yesterday afternoon and will be on oral antibiotics for 7 days, his eye is so much better, but he still can only open it halfway and his eyelid is a bit purple. The dr's said that it was periorbital cellulitis and most likely cause by him rubbing his infected excema on his cheek then rubbing his eye, and because it was his excema that caused this they got us an appt with the dermatology dept.
So we had the appt this morning and saw a fantastic bunch of people, they prescribed him a stronger steriod than what he has previously been on, and antihistamines to try and relieve his itching, they also gave him some bandagy gauze stuff that we have to put on his arms legs and chest to try and stop him scratching and to help his skin absorb the emmolients.
They also took some swabs to make sure for definate that it is excema we are dealing with, they are putting him on the list to see the dermatologist and we have a follow up appt with the people we saw today again on monday.
you cant imagin how relieved i am to have him back home and that his infection was treated before it came even more serious, and it feels like such a weight has been lifted to finnaly be seeing someone who can help him with his skin.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User
Re: he's out of hospital, update on him and his excema

We also got the tubes to put in my little one. It's fun putting them on a squirmy 2 year old! I'm glad your little one is doing better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi Gemmalou, I'm glad you finally got some answers for your son. My son also had terrible excema as a baby. He's 5 now and still gets some patches here and there but nothing like he used to.
A word of caution, Please be careful with the antihistamine. My son had a horrible reaction to a prescribed anthistamine, his heart rate shot up over 200 with pain down his left arm. I had to call an ambulance. Now he was 4 when this happened so was able to tell me his symptoms. Anyway I was told the dosage may have been too high and the emt told me next time only give half of what is prescribed and see if it helps. Needless to say I do not give ANY. Too scary for me. I am not in any way trying to scare you, I just would like you to be aware since some doctors don't bother to discuss side effects especially the rare or dangerous ones. What antihistamine did they give?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

hi kdel, ty for your reply, its good to know that there may be side effect so i can watch out for them, the dr's say that if you have excema you may have allergies to other things. when we went to a and e in the morning and the dr prescribed (the completely wrong thing) allerief, and even that says all over it that its only suitable for babies over a year (he's 6 and a half months) but i have thrown that away now, but the new one he has is called chlorphenamine and im supposed to give him 2.5mls of that but we will see, they said just to give him that so he wont be so itchy and hopefully sleep through but if its not neccesary im more than happy to get up with him at night.
i can omagine how scary it was for you when your son had that reaction and it has certainly made me aware and i will look out for that. what signs did your son have with it?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

just read the bottle of the antihistamines and it says that its not suitable for babies under a year and that 2.5mls twice a day is for a baby aged 1-2 years so i think we wont be using that one.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi gemmalou,

I am so happy to hear that your baby is doing much better. They actually just took off the market OTC cold/cough meds here in the US which contain antihistamines for children under the age of 2 because they are not safe! ALOT of babies were getting seriously ill and have died due to overdosing the medications which is why it was pulled. I would see if you can go without it for your ds and double check the dosage with your pharmacist with his weight etc. before giving it to him.

Good luck
Koukla

Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

hi koukla, hows your Lo doing? the only reason they prescribed him the antihistamines was to make him drowsy and less itchy so he would sleep through the night, but we normally put his cream right before he goes to bed anyway so that should help him itching and i dont want to risk his health just so i can get an unbroken nights sleep, im so used to being woken up now anyway lol, but he had a great night last night and only woke up once , even though ive only put the steriod cream on his face once it is definately starting to improve

Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

gemmalou, My son's reaction was to Zyrtec (also an antihistamine) This is what happened- I gave him the recommended dose of 1 teaspoon, he layed down to watch tv and about 30-40 min. later he called out to me. I could tell by his voice something was wrong. I went in the room and he was cold and clammy he said mommy I don't feel right my heart feels like a race car so I looked at his chest and I could see (through thick feet pajamas) his heart pounding out of his chest. He said I can't stay still-yet he didn't move. I tried to get a pulse but it was way too fast and irregular (I had already called 911). He got up suddenly and screamed while grabbing his left arm. I said what's wrong he said my arm hurts. His eyes were glassy and he was generally out of it and extremely pale. I called 911 again as they still weren't here. The dispatcher then said ok I'll upgrade the call. (this is a whole other story but basically they didn't consider my first call very urgent!) His heart rate came down on it's own but he wasn't himself for a couple of days. I finally got some answers from Pfeizer (the drug co.) They said that 1 teaspoon is not usually recommended for his age and weight but that the dose should have been 1/2 a teaspoon. I had clearly written instuctions from the doctor for 1 teaspoon! I still had the rx because the doc gave us samples to try. I suggest that in order to prove your case you make copies of any prescriptions the doctor writes just in case you need to prove it and if given samples have the doc write out the instructions anyway because the 911 dispatcher practically accused me of giving too much medication in one dose. Thank God I had the written rx to show the police and emts. Emts also said it was too much!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

oh kdel that must have been so scary for you and especially when they didnt at first see it as an urgent call. thats what they did with my son when we first took him to A & E, his condition needed treatment and iv anitbiotics within 4 hours, they sent us home with an antihistamine
they are always so quick to put the blame on other people because they trust doctors and think they dont make mistakes (ha!)
we definately wont be using the anithistamines as it looks like he is doing just fine without them, his eczema is clearing up amazingly, he doesnt seem so itchy and i think he actually slept through last night well i cant remember waking up anyway lol
ty so much for letting me know what happened with your son, i was dubious with it anyway as it says on the box for babies and children over a year, and the does they said to give him is for babies aged 1-2 yrs, he's only 6 and a half months!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi gemmalou, I'm so glad your baby is doing well without the antihistamine.
I just wanted to add one more thing in regards to the 911 call where they didn't respond quickly because in their opinion it wasn't priority. When I took my son to the cardiologist for tests and follow up care I told her what had happened and that the response time was close to 30 min. She said if it happens again- tell them that your child is having trouble breathing (even if he's not) That will get them there quicker and you can worry about explaing it later- AFTER your child has been checked thouroughly or taken to the hospital! She said you can always just say well, it seemed to me that he was.
I think sometimes the doctors prescribe medication that is not really necessary simply so it looks to the parents like they are doing something!

Last edited by kdel; 10-26-2007 at 06:18 AM.

Closed Thread