It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Cradle Cap

I was wondering if anyone has used the Gentle Natuals Cradle Cap Care. I bought it at Wal Mart today bc DS has cradle cap something awful and I'm desperate to get rid of it. Otherwise I'm going to start making him wear a hat. LOL I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it and, if so, how many uses it took to clear it up? Thanks

Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User
Re: Cradle Cap

Hi,

my dd's scalp would get a little dry and form a few little plaques. what i did was put baby oil on her head and let it stay on there for a few minutes, then I would give her a bath and wash her hair normally. within 2 days it was much better. also, the johnsons baby wash is really drying so i bought the johnson and johnson baby was with baby oil in it and i would us that on her hair as well as her body and that really helped. when you use the baby oil your ds hair will look a little greasy but it will clear it right up.

good luck
koukla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Yeah, baby oil wasn't doing anything. I use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo on his hair and baby wash for the rest of him. I used the Cradle Cap Care I mentioned earlier and it seemed to work REALLY well. Most of the scales are gone. It's a bit pricey, but worth it for how well it worked. I was getting REALLY annoyed with it and kept accusing him of turning into a lizard, LOL. His head had a funny smell too, but it's all gone, and the scales are MUCH better. It was literally his WHOLE head. *sigh* I'm SO glad I stumbled on this stuff.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

hi anhyre, my ds had to visit the derm yesterday, and he has cradle cap, they suggested putting olive oil over it. i havent tried it yet as i havent got any in but im getting some later and will see

Old 10-25-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

Hi Gemma!

My DS had terrible cradle cap to go along with his terrible skin. He actually still has the bad head and he's now 2 1/2. After our trip to the pediatric Dermatologist this week, they prescribed Derma-Smooth. It's an oil that you rub on their head. I'm not sure if it can be used on infants, but you could ask. At that age, the doctor prescribed a lotion mixture (with Aquapohor) and had us put it everywhere, including his head. He looked like a grease ball all the time! Just keep away from anything that might disagree with his skin, baby products (wash, lotions and shampoo) and so on. I had no success with the cradle cap lotion you asked about. My best advice would be to seek out a pediatric dermatologist. I had little to no success after talking to several pediatricians and a regular dermatologist. The pediatrician is not as knowledgeable as a pediatric dermatologist would be. I couldn't believe the difference in our success after our appt on Monday. His skin and cradle cap have made an immediate turn around!

Last edited by athome1; 10-25-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

When my son had cradle cap, I used regular baby wash and they sent us home with a little plastic scrub brush (the one they use to bathe the baby right after birth). I used the brush to scrub the little plaques off of his head and only had to do it a couple of times and we have not had any problems since. I don't know where you could buy one of these scrub brushes if you were not sent home with one. It is like the kind surgeons use when scrubbing in for a surgery.

Amy

Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

You can also use a soft tooth brush!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

Thanks for all your info, I've been wondering what this stuff was on my DD's scalp and eyebrows. I figured it was just dry skin, lol. Very helpful.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
(female)

jstin HB User

I read about this in What to Expect the First Year. Whatever you do don't put on a hat. The skin needs to breath and sweating or moisture from the body heat will make it worse. Now of course if it is cold out put on a hat, but remove it once your inside or in the car. I have been putting burts bees apricot oil on my ds head for about 15 minutes before his bath and I wash his hair with a tiny drop of selsun blue. I was recommended the shampoo by another mom she said do it 2x a week for 2 weeks and it should be better. I have only done it once so I will let you know if it works.
#1 08/07/2007 - It's a boy!
#2 EDD 09/04/2010

Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnetelles View Post
I read about this in What to Expect the First Year. Whatever you do don't put on a hat. The skin needs to breath and sweating or moisture from the body heat will make it worse. Now of course if it is cold out put on a hat, but remove it once your inside or in the car. I have been putting burts bees apricot oil on my ds head for about 15 minutes before his bath and I wash his hair with a tiny drop of selsun blue. I was recommended the shampoo by another mom she said do it 2x a week for 2 weeks and it should be better. I have only done it once so I will let you know if it works.
Yah, his doctor told me yesterday to use selsun or head and shoulders 3 times a week. So I used Head & Shoulders last night. It seems slightly better. Oh, she said to put baby oil on his head and let that sit before washing his hair and to also flake it up with a fingernail or brush and not to worry about the soft spot because it's actually very strong and I won't hurt it. :-)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
(female)

Blondie527 HB User

Is that the one with the Disney characters on the front? If so, then it worked awesome for DS! It is a bit stinky but totally got the job done!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Yup, it has Pooh and Eeyore. I think I'm done with it though. It worked, but then 2 days later it was back WAY worse than ever and I can't get rid of it.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #13
(female)

jstin HB User

My ds cradle cap is just about gone. I used selsun blue twice and the burts bees apricot baby oil three time. his scalp looks good.
#1 08/07/2007 - It's a boy!
#2 EDD 09/04/2010

Closed Thread