It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

jstin HB User
Does your baby sleep through the night?

Hello ladies. I am looking for suggestions on how to get my little one to sleep longer at night. He is 12 weeks and currently still wakes up for two feedings. I am returning to work next week and am afraid that I am going to be absolutely exhausted. A friend told me to put a little rice cereal in his bottle but he isn't 4 months yet. Any suggestions?
#1 08/07/2007 - It's a boy!
#2 EDD 09/04/2010

Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Re: Does your baby sleep through the night?

The old rice cereal in the bottle is a myth and doesn't work. At least that is what I've heard and my dr. said.
I remember going back to work at 12 weeks too and being exhausted. I was still getting up a lot. I don't think you can expect a full night sleep at that age, but maybe you could get it down to one feeding during the night. You also will want to check with your dr. on how long your little one can go without eating. Assuming he's growing well, they may say it's ok to go the night, but you should ask anyway first.
I don't know you're schedule, but perhaps you could try to get your baby to go back to sleep (it will be hard) without eating when he first wakes and then feed him on the second time he gets up. Eventually he'll sleep through the first waking.
Honestly, at 3-4 months, I was just happy to get my baby to sleep in her crib for more than 4 hours at a time.
I just accepted the fact that I'd be exhausted for a couple of months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

If you have him flat on his back try swaddling him (if he is willing to accept it at this age), letting him sleep on his tummy (unless he is rolling on his own now anyway), placing him in the carseat to sleep for awhile or letting him sleep in his bouncy. Most babies do not sleep very well, nor nearly as long flat on their backs as they do in other places or positions.

Nancy

Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

I just had to kind of wait for it to come. He finally started sleeping through when he was able to take in more formula at a time. He was about 15 weeks, and drinking 5.5oz at a time when he started to sleep through the night. So, now he's 4 months 1 week and hasn't woken during the night any since the first night he slept through.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

Blondie527 HB User

Hi! DS is 11 weeks and mostly sleeps through the night. I have found that if I give him 6 oz at each of 2 feedings before bedtime he sleeps longer. Usually, he eats around 7 or 8pm and then again between 9 and 10pm. Last night he cried for a little bit in his bassinet but was sleeping by 11:30 and then did not wake to eat again until 7:30am. So far this is working. I hear you about being exhausted. I have been back to work for 2 weeks now and the nights that he wakes up make for REALLY long days. You will get through it. My suggestion: COFFEE!

Old 11-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

SteffiM HB User

Waking up twice at 12 weeks is really good. What we did at that age for him to sleep though was... we fed him at 4 and 6. Then woke him up at 10 pm for a night feed. Didn't REALLY wake him, just fed him half asleep in the dark.

Then he would wake again at around 3 or 4 am. Quick feed, no nappy change, no light and right back to bed.

He dropped the night 4 am feed at around 4 months, the 10 pm feed at 8 months.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by SteffiM; 11-03-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
(female)

StaceyLee HB User

My dd at 10 months still doesn't sleep through the night. we co-sleep and are nursing so a lot of her waking is just to 'comfort nurse'. The whole cereal in a bottle to help them sleep is not true, babies shouldn't even have cereal under most circumstances until 6 months of age. Some peds okay it at 4 months...maybe because of low iron reasons? Not sure really. The average age for a child to start sleeping through the night is actually 2-3 years of age! So anything before then and your just lucky, lol.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
(female)

SteffiM HB User

Cereal helps only those babies sleep through who are truly hungry. It does NOT work for habitual waking.

Last edited by SteffiM; 11-03-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyLee View Post
The average age for a child to start sleeping through the night is actually 2-3 years of age! So anything before then and your just lucky, lol.
I would be an absolute crazy lady if my children were 2 and 3 years old and just starting to sleep through the night!!!! That is not average at all in my opinion. In fact, I believe that is not normal at all. Yes, normal to wake when sick, potty training, bad dream at that age....but those are a once in a while or a phase kind of thing.

I have three children and all were sleeping through the night by 8 to 10 weeks. My second daughter who was exclusively breastfed slept 12 consecutive hours at 3 months of age. My son now is 18 months old and just last week he was sick and I needed to tend to him in the middle of the night. When I thought about it, it was the first time I needed to go to him at night since he was 4 months old.

Although mine were sleeping well at 12 weeks, I wouldn't necessary expect all babies too. I do remember, though, trying to feed more frequently in the later evening. I was breastfeeding, so I would try to put them on often in the couple hours before bed.

Also try putting your baby down drowsy but still awake. When babies wake, they look to fall back to sleep the same way they went to sleep in the first place. So if you've rocked, given a bottle, nursed, paci, etc, you're baby will look for that to fall back to sleep. Teaching them early on to fall asleep on their own is a big one when it comes to sleeping through the night. If your baby fusses, don't run back in right away. Give it a couple minutes before you return to comfort. And don't pick your baby up...just rub and let her know you are there, but then leave promptly. I did this with my second when she was 12 weeks. I knew she was fine because I had just changed and fed her and she had been fine, but cried when I laid her down awake. I went back in after a couple minutes, reassured her and left. She cried only a minute or two more and that was that...asleep and slept all night. We never did CIO with her. A little fussing is different than CIO, in my opinion.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
(female)

SteffiM HB User

I totally disagree, too. Every child can learn to sleep independantly and learn the skill of self-soothing. Methods to achieve that can be gentle (like gentle withdrawal, walk in walk out,) or not so gentle (CIO, doesn't usually work as well though).

Some children do not sleep through until three or older, and this is not a problem if the parents don't ave a problem with it.

If they do, then sleep can be "learned"

Old 11-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Maybe 3 years old is a little old but MOST babies still wake up once during the night at 1 year old. These babies that sleep through the night at 6,7,8 weeks ect... are NOT the norm at all. And honestly I think sometimes the parents may be exaggerating the truth a little.
I don't know why people get so upset about the getting up at night. The way I look at it is that I signed up for this when I decided to get pregnant.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I can totally see why people get upset! Waking twice a night and working full-time? Once a night is manageable, but twice a night will definitely give you bags under your eyes. LOL!

I don't have much advice, but I feel for you. My son is 12 months and sometimes I am still up 1-3 times a night with him - to give a pacifier. He has never been a great sleeper, and I firmly believe some children are just wired that way (to sleep poorly).

It should get better with time. I think it was around 4-5 months that I was only waking once a night.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User

We got lucky and our DD has been sleeping through the night since 10-11 weeks. We didn't have to do anything special to get her to do this, she started sleeping through the night on her own. And she's a terrible napper, and really hates to go to sleep, LOL. But once she's asleep, she sleeps. We have never let her CIO, it's not something I think is right for us. So, I agree, I think some babies are just wired one way or the other, but I do think a routine helps.

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1979 View Post
Maybe 3 years old is a little old but MOST babies still wake up once during the night at 1 year old. These babies that sleep through the night at 6,7,8 weeks ect... are NOT the norm at all. And honestly I think sometimes the parents may be exaggerating the truth a little.
That all depends on what people consider "through the night" My doctor always said that "through the night" about 6 hours of consecutive sleeping. So with that, you're only looking at midnight to 6. What I considered through the night at 7-8 weeks old was nursing at 10 p.m and the baby waking at 5 a.m to nurse again. 5:00 is a little early, but in my book at 7 weeks old, that was pretty darn good! I was thrilled. Now, if my 1 year old did that, I wouldn't really consider that a full-nights sleep. I would expect a 1 year old to go to bed much earlier than 10 and certainly sleep past 5, without waking. A 1 year old certainly does not need to eat in the middle of the night, so there comes an age where you need to decide if the waking is truely for nurishment or is it out of habit?

12 weeks (the age of the original poster's baby) is a little early to say the baby doesn't need to eat at night. But for older babies...say 5-6 months old...I believe those nightly wakings are habit and a baby must learn to fall asleep on his own so he can put himself back to sleep (without a bottle, rocking, nursing, paci put back in, etc) when he wakes in the middle of the night.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by E1979 View Post
These babies that sleep through the night at 6,7,8 weeks ect... are NOT the norm at all. And honestly I think sometimes the parents may be exaggerating the truth a little.
im not exaggerating when i say that my dd was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old, ds tho is almost 7 months and has only just started sleeping through. each baby is different and there isnt a set time that they should or should be sleeping through the night.

if your baby does wake during the night it is very important that you keep the room as dark as possible as light causes the brain to release a chemical that wakes you up. im so glad that here in the uk we get 9 months paid maternity leave, (im due to go back to work next week,,,, ugh,,,,)

Closed Thread