It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User
Weening from a bottle?

So at my sons 9 month check up his dr. said she would like him to be weened from the bottle by 1 year. I'm not sure how to do that. Here's his schedule:
6-6:30 wakes and has bottle
7:00 cereal
8:30 bottle and nap
12:00 lunch
1:30 bottle and nap
3:30 bottle
5:00 dinner
6:30 bath and bottle
7:00 bed

I know it is totally going to screw up his schedule. He uses a sippy cup but I've never put his formula in it. How did everyone else do this? Should I wait 'til he's 1 and then stop cold turkey? He doesn't have a security item so I really don't think he will have a problem giving up the bottle but I don't know since he gets them before his naps.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: Weening from a bottle?

If he can drink from sippy all ready then I'd start replacing the formula bottles with siipies 1 at a time. Like the first bottle of the day, when he's REAL hungry, I'd replace that first, because he's most eager to eat then. As he got used to that, I'd replace another one working through the day until all bottles are gone and he's on sippies instead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Thanks! I will be trying that tomorrow morning.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User

Let me know how it works, because this is how I INTEND to wean DS to a sippy.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

the thing to keep in mind though, is that you are in charge of your son's health. you know your son better than anyone else does, so if he's not ready to wean by a year old, then don't worry or stress about it. doctor's have this tiny little box they like to cram every single kid into, but not all kids fit into that little box. why don't doctors ever like to think outside that box??? makes me crazy!!! there is absolutely no reason why a kid should have to quit drinking from a bottle by a year old. you don't see any doctor forcing a mother to quit nursing her child by a year old, why do they think you have to quit bottle feeding???

neither of my two wanted anything to do with their sippy cups if they had milk in them! they could drink water or juice all day from their sippy cups, but milk??? not a chance! i tried it warm, cold, and even with a tiny hint of chocolate once out of sheer curiosity if it would work... it didn't! they just hated milk in a cup! my oldest had her bottle until she was 2 1/2. i'll probably let my youngest do the same thing (she's almost 2 now). oh, and we did just take a trip to the dentist a few weeks ago, and my oldest's teeth were perfect (didn't take the younger one)....

ANYWAY.... i'm not saying your doctor is wrong. if you think your son is ready to wean, then by all means, go for it. what the previous poster said about cutting one bottle a day, is a good way to go about it. but if he doesn't love the sippy cup and freaks out about it, don't stress. you are still a good mommy! keeping the bottle past a year old isn't a bad thing. a lot of kids will wean quickly with no problems and just love their sippy cups. others (like mine) hate the sippy cups no matter what you try. either way, you know your son, so do what works best for him. good luck!

(a good sippy cup to try is the nuby cup with the soft spout!)

Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

one more thing....

if your son doesn't know how to use a sippy cup yet, you might try getting him used to drinking out of it before taking away his bottles. i sat my oldest in her highchair and give her the sippy cup without the valve in it so she could know that there was something in there (before i did that, all she did was bite on the cup). you don't have to lock him in the highchair, but it limits the mess a bit that way! oh, and i did this when i was cooking dinner, so i was in the kitchen anyway, and it kept her confined and busy while i cooked.... anyway, after a few days of locking her up and giving her the cup without the valve (and she had a GREAT time pouring water all over her tray and playing in it!), she figured out she could actually drink the water and so i kept putting her in the highchair with the cup for a few more days, only i put the valve in the cup, and she drank from the cup just fine.... it was smooth sailing from then on.... except for that whole she hated milk in the cup thing..... and she was kind of ticked off that she couldn't dump out the cup and make a mess anymore....

i did the same thing for my youngest, but she caught on a lot quicker and didn't do so much of the messy thing.... thank goodness!!!! still hates the milk in the cup though....

Last edited by mcr285; 11-08-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I agree with MCR. Don't stress over it. My son just turned 1 year and still takes bottles a couple of times a day - mostly at night and in the morning. I think what you are doing is fine and you are already ahead of the game.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

Thanks ladies! I'm not really stressed about it, I just had no idea how to go about it. I really don't think he will have a problem if I do it gradually. I am a little worried that he will decide not to drink milk from the sippy. He loves juice and water in it though. Thanks again!!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

I agree with MCR also. my son is one and I was feeling the same way at nine months. Its funny though how suddenly he seemed to mature within just a few months and suddenly his needs changed. At nine months we were doing bottles throughout day and I couldn't imagine how I could change that. But as he began cruising then walking around 11-12 months suddenly his energy needs changed. HE began eating and wanting much more table foods and not finishing bottles. The more food I introduced the less hungry he was for the formula. One thing I did was once he really started eating table foods as meals, I tried to cut out all of the middle of the day bottles and make sure he was hungry by meal and snack time. We did morning and before bed until 12 or 13 months now we just do bed.

It took him awhile to learn to use and enjoy the sippy cup but now loves it. Hates milik in it and all cold milk. I do one bottle a night still while I rock him and warm it. HE loves it. Mornings he loves juice. He drinks a lot of water and juice. I dilute the juice so much that it is practically water. I make sure he eats plenty of dairy foods instead he loves cheese, yogurt and loves milk in his cheerios/rice krispies.

I researched the concerns about bottles and I think a lot of it has to do with babies who are let to drink bottles in cribs and fall asleep and milk pools in mouth causing tooth decay. Also, babies who drink laying down can contribute to ear infections.

I was very reluctant to give up formula I felt like that was all his nutrients and vitamins. But at 14 months he is eating 3 good meals a day and a snack and drinks plenty. I am so glad to not have to spend the money anymore. I couldn't continue breastfeeding due to medical issues, so I hated having to use the formula to begin with. Funny how I had a hard time letting it go in the end.

Good luck and just pay attention to your baby and his cues. Every kid is different.

Last edited by Hope2Heal; 11-09-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
(female)

AGemini HB User

My son will be 1 next Tuesday and has 2 bottles a day. One in the morning and one before bed. I give him sippy cups during the day. I'm not going to worry too much about it. He doesn't really mind having milk in a sippy cup anyway.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Wow, my dd is 10 1/2 months old and my dr. didn't mentioned anything at her 9 month check up, and I guess I didn't really think of starting to replace the bottle with the sippy cup. My dd drinks from the sippy cup (without the valve, hardly ever used it really) and enjoys drinking from it, so maybe I should start trying to replace the bottle now.
I imagine she'll still want the bedtime one for a little while longer.
By the way, I saw a photo of Suri Cruise and now at 18 months, she's still toting a bottle around during the day.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

We've replaced his morning bottle with a sippy sup and it seems to be going good. I'm not ready to replace any other ones yet. He boy's getting too big!! I don't see any reason why he will still be taking a bottle at 1 since he's taken to milk in the sippy so well. Thanks for the help ladies!

Closed Thread