It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User
Heating Formula

Hello,
I am starting to get all freaked out about heating my plastic bottles because of the chemicals in the plastic (BPA). I am using the Dr. Brown's bottles and formula. How do you all heat your formula? I don't know if I should switch bottles or not. My daughter was a 34 week preemie born on 10/23 and she seems to be doing very well with the Dr. Brown's, no vomit since we started using them a few days ago.
Thanks!
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User
Re: Heating Formula

Hi Cmarie!

First off, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!!

I used to use Dr. Brown's, still love them. My DD had colic, gas issues, still is quite the spitter, and those bottles were great. I am now trying the Born Free glass bottles, but they only make them in wide-neck version and my DD isn't used to the wide-neck nipples. She is a bit gassier on these simply because the nipple is so much bigger, and she doesn't "latch" the same way. But I'm continuing to try them. I really like the glass actually, didn't think I would.

Anyway, the heating. When I first brought my DD home, I was heating water in a cup in the microwave and putting the bottle in that warmed cup of water to warm the formula. But that was taking awhile, so then I bought a bottle warmer and loved it (now we have 2 of them, one for the nursery and one in the kitchen). So that's what we've used ever since.

As far as worrying about the heating issue, evidently it just doesn't matter HOW you heat the polycarbonate plastic, just that it's heated at all, that's what causes the chemicals to leach out of the plastic (so ANY method of heating it can release the chemicals). I guess even if you use the plastic after being in the dishwasher, this also can be a problem. However, some scientists feel the amount of chemicals released is not significant enough to worry. Others feel it's very significant. California just banned phthalates in plastics there. I would suggest research as much as you can before you make your own decision. I won't try to persuade you one way or the other.

Do you use wide-neck Dr. Brown's or standard? If you are thinking of switching, and if you use wide-neck, I bet you'd like the Born Free bottles (either glass or "safe" plastic), because they are also a vented type bottle. But they are pricey. I really like them, but as I said my DD doesn't really like the wide nipple--we'll see what happens. But also, Dr. Brown's is coming out with a glass version in December, and a "safe" plastic in Spring 2008, if you want to wait to switch. There are other alternatives too. There are Evenflo glass bottles in standard, but they are not truly vented. Also there are both wide and standard "safe" plastic through Green To Grow bottles, but they are also not vented. Playtex Drop-ins and Avent Tempo (drop-in type) are also "safe" but again not vented. Gerber Gentle flow is another, unsure if truly vented or not. But I share your concern, because my DD had a heck of a time with gas and spitting up and has acid reflux. Good luck making your decision!

DD, conceived after infertility (3rd IUI), Born July 2007
Baby #2, conceived naturally! EDD March 16, 2009

Last edited by Heyknack; 11-10-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I never heat the formula. I just use warm filtered tap water. I don't do this b/c I'm worried about heating plastic bottles, but mainly b/c I'm lazy. My kids are used to room temp bottles.

Some may think this is horrible to say, but don't worry too much. If you watch the news, you'll see something about how recent testing has found that EVERYONE has high levels of chemicals in their systems from everyday use of things such as shampoo, plastics and other things that you would never think of. It's affecting reproduction in animals such as fish and lab mice. I think they have a piece on it tonight on our local news (philly). I'm sure soon enough we'll hear how disposable diapers cause cancer. lol. I want my kids to be healthy and "chemical free" like any mom would, but I can't spend my day worrying about everything. If I did I would probably have to move my family in to a tree hut on some deserted island. Do what you can, but at the end of the day we all have to think that is even that enough?? Good luck and congrats on your little one.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I agree with aelliot. However, to give you an idea - make all your formula in a pitcher or some other container and leave it in the fridge for the day.

When baby is hungry, measure out the amount of formula you need in a glass measuring cup and heat it in the microwave.

Poor the formula into the Dr. Brown's bottle and serve to baby.

This way, you are heating in a safe container and then pouring it into the bottle.

Just a thought.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Thank you all for your replies! We can totally drive ourselves crazy with worry
cmarie

Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Just so you are aware....the Gerber Gentle Flow ARE vented, and my DS LOVES them....they are just hard to find. You have to make a choice for yourself and your little ones. I say that the little things count, so I switched my bottles as well. He is actually eating more on these and doing better. So, I am thrilled that I did....AND i can heat them up in the mic (cause I am lazy) and shake up and give to him. It is quick, easy and I don't have to think twice about the "chemicals" in his food. Bad enough everything else has it!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Question for you...the Gerber vented bottles, are those similar to the Dr. Brown's? Where did you find them? For right now I have decided to warm the formula in a glass container and then put it into my Dr. Brown's. I think I will then buy the glass dr. brown's in December when they come out. In the mean time, maybe I will try the Gerber.
Thanks!
cmarie

Old 11-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Hi Cmarie!

Congratulations on your baby! What name did you decide on.

For the bottle warming issue. I think that we all are a little nuts! If we worried about every single thing then we wouldn't have anything and we wouldn't get anything done. ha! At first I warmed water and stuck the bottle into it with the formula. Now, I stick the formula in the bottle and into the microwave! I know people are probably going to think Im crazy but Elliana is fine and it is MUCH easier.

I love the dr. brown's bottles. elliana has never spit up with them. they are the BEST!!!!!!!

good luck

koukla

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Hi Koukla!
I named the baby Olivia Grace. Thanks for the input on the bottles and the heating issue
cmarie

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

cmarie----You can buy the Gerber Gentle Flows at Walgreens. That is where I got mine. They DON"T (at least where I am from) sell the nipples...but they will intermix with Avent. They are EXACTLY like Avent bottles. I know a lot of people have complained about them leaking....and up until this morning, I didn't have a problem....but realized that I had tightened the top too much and it also had some formula along the rim. Easy fix! You just don't tighten them too much...just go to the first "snug fit" and you are good to go. I LOVE these bottles....But they are wide nipples. Just so you know. If your DD is on the Dr. Brown's wide, there shouldn't be an issue. My DS will suck ANYTHING, LOL, so he was fine switching from the Playtex Ventaire. Anyway...good luck. I have heard that CVS, and P+C grocery stores may also sell them. You can also call gerber and ask. I have never tried Dr. Brown's...but the fact that they are making "safer" bottles is wonderful. Glad companies are finally getting concerned as well.

Closed Thread