It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

ratterrierlover HB User
My Newborn Is Up All Night

She is 10 days old. She sleeps all day until about 5:00pm (with the exception of being fed and changed every 3 hours) and it up all night until about 3:00am. I have been told that this is common and she will eventually get her days and nights turned around. In the meantime, I try to sleep when she does. I was just wondering at about what age do they start sleeping at night? I'm on maternity leave from work now, but I do have to go back to work at the end of January, so I was just wondering if most babies sleep through the night after a few weeks? Thanks in advance.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: My Newborn Is Up All Night

You need to do your best to wake your baby during the day so that you can turn her sleeping habits around. My son never got his days and nights mixed up so it doesn't necessarily happen to every baby. It is something you can control.

During the day, let your baby sleep in a well lit room. Make sure it is noisy, etc. Wake her to sing or play.

At night, keep the room dark.

Soon she will learn her days and nights.

Congrats on your baby.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
(female)

SteffiM HB User

Congrats

It is common at that age... Fro 5pm - 3 am is a LOOOONG Activity time for a 10 day old, my DS can't stay awake for 10 hours and he is two!

So... what I would do, feed every three hours, 7,10,1, 4, 6,7, and feed her in her sleep at 10 pm. The last feeds are so close cause it's called cluster feeding, to stock up.

Make sure during and after a feed... that she is awake for an hour before putting her back down. Like from 7-8, 10-11, etc.

Make the room dark at night (which starts at 7) and no playing, stimulation, eye contact, etc after that.

She will get it eventually...

Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
(female)

ratterrierlover HB User

I should clarify that when I say she is up from 5:00pm til 3:00am, I mean she will doze off in our arms or laying down next to us off and on during that time but once we try to put her in her bassinet, she cries.

Thanks you both for your suggestions.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Oh yes, putting the baby down and the crying! Happened to me as well, and there I was sleeping on the couch at night with my son on me. It was the longest week. I then discovered the swaddle. Try swaddling your daughter very tightly. Many people say they do, but often it isn't tight enough. My son always broke out of his swaddle - until we learned to do it right. Once we were able to swaddle him properly, he would sleep 4 hours at night before he needed a feeding.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
(female)

SteffiM HB User

Yeah, check Tracy Hogg's Aussie Swaddle, works a treat

Old 11-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

This is probably going to sound crazy (and it is an old wives tale...) but you need to flip her. She has her days and nights mixed, and this should help get her on track....it worked for my sister!! You have to be gentle (obviously!) and slowly turn her over (head over feet) from the top of her crib/bassinet to the bottom. You can research it...I know for some it works, for some it doesn't, but isn't it worth a try to get some shut eye? LOL! Good luck!

Closed Thread