It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User
Crib bumper pads

I want to know some of your opinions. My husband and I went to a prenatal class with a teacher that we were not fond of. She was very opinionated and her facts didn't always add up. Anyhow, she said that you cannot use bumber pads in the crib for fear of suffocation for the baby (even a newborn that can't move over to them). Your thoughts? I think they are fine and my husband wants them off of the crib.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Re: Crib bumper pads

Hi hon
They say that using a bumper pad there is no air flow for the baby. Thus it can cause suffocation. What is suggested that if you would like to use a bumper pad is to only use it for the top part of the crib. Therefore allowing the air to circulate in the crib from the bottom. But I don't know where to get those types of bumper pads although I have seen them somewhere. The other option is to use a mesh bumper pad. Then they get the air flow and are protected. They say as well that they can get there faces stuck up to the bumper pad and suffocate or strangle themselves on the ties. In the end it is up to you. I myself don't use a bumper pad. But he still doesn't sleep in his crib. If I were to get one it would definatley be the mesh one. I hope that helps. Sherri

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 11-30-2007 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User

I personally don't see any problem with them. My 17 month old still has her's on her crib. I have a friend who took her's off when her daughter was 5 months old though because she thought she was getting stuck underneath them. Until they are old enough to start climbing on them and using them to try and step up out of the crib I think they are fine, but that is just my opinion. I have heard of the mesh ones too so you could look into those if you are concerned.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I have to agree with Cookiem26. My son is 10 months old and I still have the bumper in his crib. My feelings are that if they can roll over to the bumper they can roll away if they need to. We've never had a problem with it. I was more nervous about him getting stuck in the tiny gap between the mattress and crib then him suffocating in the bumper. When he starting standing in his crib at 9 months, I actually pushed the bumper down so it's between the mattress and crib because I was too freaked out to take it out.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

They can be a suffocation hazard, but it really depends on the baby I think, whether or not you need to worry too much. My second child, even as a newborn, was a squirmer. I could not have a bumper b/c he always ended up by it in the middle of the night with his face pushed against it, even when he was 1 month!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

My son slept swaddled for 4 months so I never had to worry much. Once he was done with his swaddle, then he was rolling around and lifting his head. He never got caught up in the bumper.

I would use your own judgment. Like Aelliot said, it depends on the baby. They do make mesh bumpers so that things can't fall out of the crib and they are not bulky.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

A pediatrician in my moms' group (2 years ago) said it's okay to use a bumper but by 6 months you should drop the crib matress to the bottom rung and take the bumper out because they can prop themselves up on it and fall out of the crib (not actually climb at that age, but they're top heavy, so if they get ahold of the crib rail, they can get themselves out and over head first). We've had the bumper in for DS. He is 5 months and a squirmer. He was fine until he moved around too much to be swaddled anymore and pushes up against the bumper, so we took it out because we were afraid of suffocation. That night he didn't sleep a wink because he kept getting his arms and legs stuck and bumping his face on the crib rails...stinker! So, last week I bought the breatheable mesh bumper, which keeps his arms and legs from getting stuck, and he doesn't like the feel of it, so he doesn't bury his face in it anymore. I'm still a little concerned about him using it to fall out of the crib relatively soon, although it's lighter and more collapsable than a normal fabric padded bumper, so I ordered the breatheable mesh crib shield that goes over the rail and all the way down. I could only find it on-line (free shipping if you have it shipped to a Walmart store, and you can return it at the store if it doesn't work out). It hasn't come in yet, but I'd really be lost without the breatheable mesh bumper right now.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

At the baby class that I took they told us we could keep the bumper in the crib until the baby was old enough to use it to climb. I thought it would be the other way around. I assumed that they could suffocate at a young age and it would be safe at an older age. Shows how much I know! They also told us if we put the baby in the crib when it's a newborn, you have to put their feet all the way at the foot of the crib and put a blanket over the baby and under all three sides of the cib to keep the baby from moving. I'm planning to use a bassinet in our bedroom for a few months anyway.

Closed Thread