It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

VelvetSky101 HB User
Son does not sleep......HELP!

My son is 8 mths old and does not sleep. At birth up until he was about 6 mths old he had colic. The doctor informed me that the colic has subsided. My sons still does not sleep. He may sleep a total of 3 hours at night. It is literally killing my husband and myself. I have talked to his doctor numerous times and was told its normal he'll grow out of it. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with him. He screams and wines all day along with not sleeping. Someone please help. Thank you

Old 12-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: Son does not sleep......HELP!

Wow, that sounds incredibly frustrating. I'm so sorry you and your family are having such difficult nights (and days!). I think that I may switch doctors at this point. Sounds like your pediatrician is blowing you off as if your son is "just in a phase." I would not accept that because it sounds like something more.
Have you considered your son's formula may be the culprit? My daughter was miserable for the first month of her life until we put her on soy. Now she's a different child.
Is his room temperature comfortable - not too cool, but not too warm?
Just a couple of things to consider, although I'm sure you've already thought of these.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

are you sure he isn't cutting teeth now??? could be that he's over the colic, but is now teething and miserable from that?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Ah someone else who doesn't get much sleep! My daughter is 8 1/2 months old and wakes up three times throughout the night as well. During the day, she takes two naps that last approximately 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. It sounds like your little one could be teething. My daughter has been cutting teeth since she was 3 1/2 months old - her 7th tooth just popped through.

At the beginning of December she had three weeks where she was absolutely MISERABLE - crying, whining and fussing allllllllllll day long. Finally, another tooth popped through and she calmed down immensely. Trust me, I know how difficult it is especially when they aren't sleeping during this. I've had many days when I've been reduced to tears so I 100% feel for you right now. Before you worry too much, do you think it could be teething?

Last edited by luckydarlin; 12-29-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

macdo1 HB User

Hi, I would recommend I book I read that will help you put your son on a schedule, which in return will increase his sleeping. The book is "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam, M.D. My son sleeps through the night in addition to 4 naps during the day and he is under 4 months old. Good luck and let me know if it works for you.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdo1 View Post
Hi, I would recommend I book I read that will help you put your son on a schedule, which in return will increase his sleeping. The book is "On Becoming Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam, M.D. My son sleeps through the night in addition to 4 naps during the day and he is under 4 months old. Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
This book is highly controversial. Our ped office does not recommend it and even has it their literature they hand out a newborn visits to NOT use it. I've never read it, but I was told by someone who did that it says to slap the hands of a maybe 8 mos. old baby who's banging his hands on the highchair. I think as infants it does not promote feeding on demand, but on a strict schedule. As I mentioned, I never read it, but was told from many not to use it.

To the original poster....does your son fall asleep on his own or is he rocked, given a bottle, or whatever by you? If you help him to fall asleep every time, he's going to need you and call for you every time he wakes during the night. All babies and adults wake periodically at night and just fall back to sleep. Babies need to be taught to fall asleep on their own. If he wakes up he's going to look to fall back to sleep the same way he did in the first place. So if he was rocked, bottle, etc, he's going to look for that crutch in the middle of the night. Is he sleeping with you? If so, I would recommend getting him into his own room as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

sem627 ~ my question for you is, ok my DD(10 months) is rocked/bottle fed to sleep and like you said when she wakes she screams for me and exspects me to give her a bottle to go back to sleep. i've heard after 6 months old no baby wakes at night out of hunger. my question is how do you suggest i stop this? i've tried the whole "ferberizing method" ,well sorta, i mean i've tried laying her in bed and she cries so i let her cry a while then i check on her...anyways it doesnt' work. any suggestions?

Closed Thread