It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

Juniorandtaisma HB User
10 month old drinking cows milk

anyone on here switched there little ones to straight cows milk before they were a year old? my oldest hated milk and could not stomach it and wasnt the greatest of eatters.
now my son that is almost 10 months, eats solids 3-4 times a day and when he drinks formula it seems like it does nothing for him. so yesterday i put a ounce of milk in a bottle and he drank it and liked it and did not get sick, so today I tried him with 2 ounces and he drank it and i am now waiting to see how his belly reacts to it.

is there any reason I should not switch him, he is a great eatter so i dont see why not

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: 10 month old drinking cows milk

One of the biggest concerns with starting milk before a year is that it can lead to anemia. The infant formulas are iron fortified to prevent this from happening. I wouldn't go to cow's milk, personally, without checking with a dr first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

koukla3 HB User

Anemia is a huge reason why you shouldn't start you child on cow's milk before the age of one unless your pediatrician recommends it and supplements your baby with iron. Another reason is a high rate of food allergies dairy/milk that can develop later on in life if food is introduced to soon in babies.

Good luck
Koukla

Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I started giving my son whole milk at 11 months with breakfast instead of juice and he loved it! After a week or so he wouldn't take his formula so we only give him the whole milk now. He drinks SO much milk it's ridiculous! I don't see anything wrong with giving your 10 month old milk but I think I would just give it as a treat. Maybe with meals but still give him formula at his regular times. My sister told me that she didn't give her 4 year old son cows milk 'til he was a year and he hates milk now but she gave her 3 year old son milk when he was about 10-11 months and he drinks it all the time.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

vegemite HB User

My 9 months old has cows milk on cereal, in baby rice, and in a sippy cup for a drink. We he still drinks 3 bottles of formula per day (200ml each) ... he is on 3 square meals + snacks and I am mindful of his iron intake (ie, it's in a lot of infant baby rices, etc) so as long as you are sensible and give him a well rounded & balanced diet then introducing cows milk now shouldn't be an issue. Over here they advocate that they are off their formula by 1 year anyway .. no more bottles just milk from a cup so you would have to start weaning before that anyway.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

My daughter stopped nursing at 10 months and I went straight to milk. I am always very careful about nutrition so I made sure she was getting what she needed from other sources. Most rice cereals are Iron fortified and by then my DD was eating other food with iron. She would NOT take a bottle - went straight to a sippy cup and I couldn't see spending that kind of money on formula to put into a cup.

She is now 2.5 and has never been sick a day in her life so I guess it turned out ok. I was careful about using organic milk with no hormones or anything in it.

Last edited by Elliesmom; 01-15-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

as long as he is getting a well balanced diet, there is no reason why you can't start him on whole milk now. just be sure he is eating enough foods rich in iron and other essentials that a baby needs for proper growth.

i've found that it's best not to "ask" permission from the pediatrician, but to TELL the pediatrician that this is what i'm going to do, and i'd like to know if you have any advice on how to best go about doing it. talk to your pediatrician and get some advice on what foods to include in your son's diet that will have all the vitamins and essential things he needs.

Last edited by mcr285; 01-15-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Closed Thread