It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User
Unhappy Breastfed baby vomiting

I have 3 children, all who are in various stages of the stomach flu right now. My son Nathaniel, who is almost 10 months, has suffered with it longer than my other kids. He has been vomiting since Saturday. I took him to the doctor on Monday and they gave him an anti-nausea medicine, but they only gave me enough for one day. When that was finished, he started to seem like he was getting better, but then the older kids got worse and then he began getting worse too. He has since started vomiting again and I took him to the ER yesterday. They said he had mild dehydration, but didn't give me any meds or even a prescription for pedialyte. I went out and bought pedialyte anyway, and my son won't drink the stuff. He spits it out and won't take anything else. The doctor advised me not to breastfeed him, but that is all that he will eat. Yet after every feeding, he vomits it back up.

So, am I doing the wrong thing by breastfeeding, since he won't take anything else? My husband keeps yelling me at and telling me not to nurse him. I don't know what to do.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: Breastfed baby vomiting

Which kind of pedialyte did you buy? Did you buy the clear, unflavored one? That one has an almost salty flavor. Remember, breastmilk is sweet, so you might have to use one of the flavored ones. DS likes the apple, which is only available in the "single serve sizes" which are 4-8oz bottles, but it's the same price. He also likes the punch flavor, either Gerber's Liquilytes or the Parent's Choice Pediatric Electrolyte Punch flavor. He'll take the plain but that's probably b/c his formula is REALLY bitter.
So, maybe try a flavored Pedialyte. But, if he won't take ANYTHING else, your only option is to bf, or else he'll end up in the ER again getting a saline IV. Good luck to you and I hope he feels better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

You need to pump some breastmilk and mix the milk with the pedialite. My son needed pedialite once and he also didn't like it. My doc advised me to mix it with his formula - half formula, half pedialite. If half doesn't work, do 3/4 milk and 1/4 pedialite - anything to get some in him.

Poor you! I hope your family feels better soon.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

have you tried watered down apple juice? my oldest got sick with something like that around that age, and she wouldn't touch pedialyte either. i don't blame her, it's pretty gross! but milk was making her throw up worse, so i couldn't give her that. so we tried watering down apple juice and she took it great and it seemed to help her stomach settle down a little too.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

No you are not wrong to breastfeed him!! Nurse him as much as he wants. It is better than anything else when they are sick. I wouldn't even bother with the pedialyte if he is nursing enough. Breastmilk is NOT the same as cows milk. I am shocked that the doctor would tell you not to breastfeed him.

Last edited by Mom22greatkids; 01-12-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

BigMomma24 HB User

Yes, I was shocked that the doctor would tell me not to breastfeed. I've heard that breastmilk is best, regardless if they're sick or not. I would think that it's better than anything because of the antibodies in it. Well, he seems to be showing some signs of improvement. He still spits up now and then, but not vomiting like he was before. I read something on the boards about Gripe Water... has anyone used that before? where can you find it?

Closed Thread