It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

bap104 HB User
16 month old temper tantrums

My 16 month old is starting to throw "real" temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way. I used to be able to just distract him with a toy or something but now nothing works. He just keeps banging his head on the floor (usually carpet but not always), screams and cries. He gets aggresive during these tantrums too by throwing toys and when I try to pick him up he pulls my hair and kicks me. Sometimes these last for 15 minutes before he calms down. I called his dr. but haven't heard back yet, should I be concerned? Other than this he is an angel. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to bap104 For This Useful Post:
MEAW (12-16-2010)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
Re: 16 month old temper tantrums

If it makes you feel better ..
My 13 month old is doing the same..
She stands and falls back without breaking her fall and I hear a BIG BANG with her head hitting the floor.
She does this when she doesn't get what she expects, when she doesn't get what she wants and alot of these times I can't even figure out what she wants

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

the easiest (and sometimes hardest) way to correct this behavior, is not react at all and walk away. go do something else where you can see him, but act like you are not at all interested in what he is doing, because what you're doing is way more interesting than his temper tantrum. once he sees you're not reacting to his tantrum, AND that you've moved on to something else, he'll quit doing it. my now two year old started throwing these kinds of tantrums at around 9 months old. i was sooooo worried she was going to get hurt i would grab her and talk to her soothingly and try so hard to calm her down.... this only got her going more and she'd scream more and longer. it wasn't until she was around a year old or more that i realized i needed to completely ignore her screaming. she didn't quit the tantrums immediately, but they got shorter and shorter and now she almost never has a tantrum ever.

Last edited by mcr285; 01-15-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
(female)

bap104 HB User

Glad to know it's not just my child...thanks for the advice.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
(female)

jukaam HB User

Yes my 16month old girl loves to throw tantrums for mom! One of her favourites is that she doesn't want me in the kitchen, the whole time I'm in the kitchen she is screaming bloody murder and pulling my legs. I have been ignoring her for the most part, but last night aweful! How long do these things last?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

spyrogirlkim HB User
Talking Re: 16 month old temper tantrums

My 16 mo Old Grandson does the same thing.Look out here come the terrible two's.I just walk away from him and let him have his fit unless he starts hitting,pinching etc then I just tell him not to hit,pinch that it hurts grandma and he quits.It worked on his Mom and Aunts for me when they went through this STAGE...LOL Watch out its just a Stage AND the next ones WORSE.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI my son is also 16mo. I posted about 6 weeks ago about similar situation. It scared me because he had always been very easy going.

the tantrums would include hitting himself on the head, constantly whining, screaming, throwing things, and having meltdowns of sobbing.

I decided to cut back on amount of sugar. he likes to drink a lot of juice and i used to dilute it but my doc said not to do that he needed the calories. so i stopped and it seems around that time the tantrums started. however this was also the same time he got his MMR vac.

anyway i went back to diluting the juice to mostly water with a splash of juice and only giving milk with meals. his tantrums have compelelty stopped. I mean he still gets frustrated at times but a little fussing and he is ok. haven't seen the meltdowns.

However i don't know if this is just a coincidence. I heard that kids can feel effects of MMR for about 6 weeks after, such as irritability, so maybe he finally fought off the viruses and feels better.

The only other thing I can think is that he gets particularly irritable when hungry and hasn't had much in the way of protein. He is not big on meat and somedays it seems like we are doing carbs all day, which i think can convert to sugar. Protein slows down the sugar. however it is frustrating when i know he is hungry and i try to give him something nutritious and he won't eat and continues to be irritable. then finally eventually he eats and is happy the rest of the day.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

along the lines of adding protein to your child's diet.... my girls LOVE to eat dark red kidney beans. they'll eat them right from the can (rinsed, of course), or cold from the fridge, or heated up in the microwave. i also mix black beans and corn with the kidney beans and add a little mexican seasoning... they LOVE that! and for some reason, it doesn't make for horrible diapers or potty issues.... unless you give it to them more than once a day (husband gave it to them at lunch, snack and dinner.... it was BAD!).

Closed Thread