It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

zeesmom HB User
Co Sleeping with 4 month old

My baby has been sleeping in my bed for about 2 months now. It is was something that we swore that we would never do, but after her birth we changed our minds.

It began with me wanting to watch her sleep when she was a newborn, and now I watch her because she experiences alot of itching and discomfort from exzema. Additionally, her dad works at night, and I feel more comfortable with her in my room. We moved her bed into our room, but she protests when we lay her down at night. Other times, I can lay her down, and she wakes up crying for me. She calms down when I pick her up and lay her next to me. I have read many studies which say that cosleeping is not reccommended. What are some of your experiences with cosleeping, and suggestions to encourage my baby to sleep in her crib?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
Re: Co Sleeping with 4 month old

When my son was born we had him in a crib in our room for the first week. Then the second and third week he was in a children's hospital with a heart problem. When we brought him home from that hospital, I didn't want to let him out of my sight. So he slept with us until my husband almost squashed him. We had him in a little sleep positioner up between our heads thinking that was good. Well, hubby rolled all 250 pounds of himself toward the middle, popping DS out of the postioner. I woke up to DS wedged between hubby and the bed, both sleeping soundly. After I got done FREAKING OUT, DS went in his crib and we all had a typical new baby sleepless night.

The next day we went to Target and spent $160 bucks on a video monitor. Best money I have ever spent. That way we could see him in his room safe in his crib and we didn't go get him at every peep. We just watched and waited to see if he'd settle himself back down. If not, we'd go feed him. A lot of time he would put himself back to sleep after thrashing around quite a bit. If we hadn't been able to see him on the monitor, we'd have been going and getting him all night long! Using this method, he eventually slept through the night at 10 weeks old. He just turned four months and he sleeps from 8:30 pm to 7 am no problem.

I don't want to scare you or start a debate, but a huge percentage of crib deaths are from smothering from co-sleeping. I sounds like you have it under control tho, if you have been doing it this long. Just be careful and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

If you want her in the crib try placing her on her tummy in there unless of course she is already rolling over on her own anyway now. If not and you are not comfortable with that, place the carseat in the crib and let her sleep there, or place it on the floor by your bed and let her sleep in it. Then once she is rolling over, which could happen anytime now, just try the crib again. Chances are she will be content there when she can sleep in any position she wants.

Nancy

Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I know a lot of people who have let the baby sleep with them, and to be honest, the kids are still sleeping with them. I even did this myself with my daughter for a few weeks while she was teething but finally got to the point where it was becoming such a habit she wouldn't sleep in her crib at all - she wanted me. She would cry and cry until I picked her up and put her in my bed and then she would laugh, roll over and go right to sleep. That's when I knew! It took one weekend to get her back into the habit of her crib.

It's definitely difficult when you want to have them sleep next to you, but I just didn't want to be like a friend of mine who has a 9 year old, 5 year old and 3 year old all come into her bed at night still. Those who do it tell me not to do it because it's the hardest habit to break, so that's why she's back in her crib. ...plus, sometimes you need time to yourself.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

HI

it really is a personal choice. my friend cosleeps with her 2 kids, the oldest finally is sleeping alone she is 6 but the 3 year old refuses to sleep alone. Her kids end up staying up really late until she is ready to go to bed.

Personally I really need some evenng time to myself, whether to do some chores, homework( I am back to college) or just sit down and watch TV or take a bath or spend time with my husband.

I slept with my son for about 3 months, alone in a seperate bed in the baby's room and used a snuggle nest. Then I finally put him in his own crib and continuted to sleep in his room with him until he was about 6-7 months old. I finally put the baby monitor to use and moved back to my own bed. It was wonderful to start actually sleeping at night and the baby slept better too. However I should say I did put hm on his belly, since he was not a good back sleeper. I was scared of SIDS and checked on him constantly, but he just wouldn't sleep on his back. I used a pacifier at night that supposedly cuts down on Sids as it keeps airways open.

It is up to you how much you need your evening or not. For some people it is all baby all the time. I think it is harder for them to seperate from you the older they get and harder for you to seperate from them the younger they are. That is my theory. Sometimes I take a nap with him and it is nice to cuddle but it is very rare.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyroo View Post

I don't want to scare you or start a debate, but a huge percentage of crib deaths are from smothering from co-sleeping. I sounds like you have it under control tho, if you have been doing it this long. Just be careful and good luck.
A huge percentage? Actually that statement is so false I don't know where to start, I can't post links here, but trust me. It's actually the other way around where SIDS is concerned. Most of the world co-sleeps with their babies, the US has the highest rate of SIDS, we co-sleep the least. There are other things that aer responsible for it, IMO.

Anyway.....I have co-slept with both of my kids. I have really enjoyed it. My son is now 2 1/2. and sleeps in his own room. I sleep with my infant dd, 5 months. Honestly, it's up to you. I think that it's great that you're co-sleeping, babies tend to sleep better, and if you're breastfeeding, then it just makes sense to me. Enjoy these moments sleeping with the LO, they grow up fast. You're doing a great job!!!

Don't worry about the future, they will sleep on their own someday. Your baby just spent 9 months growing in your body, hearing your voice etc. A seperation isn't natural for them at that age.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

I co-sleep with my 3 month old. Its really the only way we get long sleep at night. During the day she naps in her crib.

I say do what you want to do and feel comfortable with

Old 01-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Hi hon
Both my kids co-sleep with me. My DS is 5 months old and he will only sleep in his swing or beside me. (Right now I sleep on the couch downstairs with him) My DD is almost 5 and she still likes to be in the same room as me. She doesn't sleep in my bed but she does have a couch on the floor in our room. She will start out the night in her room, but some point in time she always ends up in our room on her little couch. But she also sleep walks. My DH works nights so I like both my kids in the same room. I just feel safer. With me being downstairs right now my DD has her couch down here. I feel the same way as dizzygirl. There will be a time when they sleep in there own room, when they want nothing to do with us etc... so I just enjoy this time with them right now cause I know it won't last forever. But do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck Sherri

Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

meluca HB User

anna will be 5 months this friday and we cosleep. she slept in her crib for about 3 weeks then got terribly sick and congested and i put her back in my bed. that was about a month ago. she is all better now, but i love having her near me and i am a light sleeper, so i listen for her all night. and when she fusses, i am right there to help her.

our babies only have so many baby days and i just want to be near her all the time for each one of those days.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

My daughter is 21 months and I still co-sleep with her. I swore before I had her that I wouldn't either. I was in for a rude awakening when she came home, I didn't realize that I had to feed her every couple of hours all night, it was exhausting and I spent even more time trying to lay her down. So, I spent the first year sleeping sitting up on the chaise section of the couch holding my baby because it was easy and I didn't want my wake my husband because had had to work.

After my daughter turned one, we moved back to California and she slept with my husband and I in our bed for a few months until we found a permament residence until we buy here again. Now, my daughter and I sleep in her own full size bed in her room, because I do not want to disturb my husband because he has to work .

I also started this because when she was about 6 months old, I tried to put her in a crib in her room, but I worried too much because the other bedrooms in our new home were all in the front out of house and I didn't like that the windows were close to the ground. Now I sleep with her because I always have and her bedroom is on a different floor than ours.

Knowing my daughter she won't want to do this forever and within a couple of years max. when she can speak that sleeping arrangements will change. She is our only child. Also in many other countries it is natural for a young child to sleep with the parents, but in America that isn't really the "norm."

Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
(female)

felix61379 HB User

I guess I'll be the minority, but here goes! My best friend has a younger sister. During the holiday's of 2006 (christmas) her sister had a 3 month old daughter, Lucy. She died 2 days before Christmas. It was HORRIBLE. Her and her husband were asleep in the bed beside their daughter. Her husband rolled and smothered her before anyone knew what happened. They were overtired and had no idea until they woke up to find Lucy was dead.

I have 4 children and never did this, mainly b/c I wanted my husband and I to have our own space and our own bed. When this happened, it was even more of a reason to avoid having any of my small children sleep with us. I also had a coworker a few years back who had an 8 year old son who would not get out of their bed. She was at her witts end and said he had been there since he was an infant.

It sounds like you are looking for ways to get your child in to their crib. I snuggle with them for awhile around bedtime. I give them a bottle and get them to a drowsy state. When they are close to falling asleep, I put them in the crib. Rub their back or head and they should fall asleep. If you choose to co-sleep, buy a "co-sleeper". You can get them at any baby supply store. It goes in the bed or pulls up next to it and allows your child to safely sleep next to you. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
(female)

Lozzy_04 HB User

LOL - I sleep with my son and while I adore it and he adores it, I fear it is the worst mistake I have made. When he was a little baby he was perfect he went to sleep in his own bed and even settled himself to sleep and would sleep all night. Then we moved interstae and spent some time in an apartment while we were waiting for the house to be ready and he was teething and unsettled because of the move and I let him sleep in my bed. He was 5 months old at the time and he hasnt left since. And he wakes up several times a night still looking for breastmilk. While I do enjoy being close to him it is proving very difficult to get him back to his own bed so I would prolly encourage others not to do it lol. However I do have a friend who slept with her son from birth and moved him into his own bed at 6 months and he went in and never looked back so I guess it depends on the child.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I slept sitting up with my baby in my arms, I was too afraid to ay down with her.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
(female)

spyrogirlkim HB User

I think co sleeping is up to you.How long do you want the children in your bed.Mine slept with us forever.They are now 14,15,and 17 years old and sleep in there own rooms but end up in with eachother.I wonder if its cause they are so use to someone being there they need it.I really dont see a problem since all mine are girls.Eventually they will get married and have someone new to sleep with have kids and there kids will sleep with them.Its something that will never end.

Closed Thread