It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
(female)

Juniorandtaisma HB User
Help for 10 month old with cold

I resorted to this to see what everyone else does for their little ones when they are sick! Doctors don't do crap now a days unless your baby is running a high fever or has some severe infections which is too late to me! My 10 month old has a cold ice done evetthing from vapor baths to vapor rub and humidifiers. I suction his nose and use saline drops too. Anything else besides this?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

baj406 HB User
Re: Help for 10 month old with cold

You're doing everything I know to do. Also, if he's congested keep him as active as possible during the day to keep that congestion broken up. Other than that, I don't know much else since they took all infant cold meds off the market.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

I find with my DS a hot steam shower works best. I turn it on hot and sit in the bathroom with him for 10-15 min. Sleep with head slightly elevated. And keep temp low in the house when you sleep. Enough that you are comfortable but not hot. I think they say 65-70 degrees? Good Luck. I know how awful it can be when they are sick.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

I would take my baby into the shower right before bed and in the morning. I would turn it on hot, put a sudafed vapor tab in, and nurse them. I found nursing was the only way to force them to breath the moist vapor air through their noses and clear out their heads. I suppose a bottle would work the same way. Though if it was a chest cold - I guess I'd want them to breath it is through the mouth.

After the shower I would suction the nose, rub real vaporub (the baby stuff is useless) on their chests and lotion on the rest of them (2 showers a day is alot for a baby!). I have one of those battery powered nose-suckers now that I absolutely LOVE. It works so much better.

Sleeping in the infant carseat or holding them in the recliner all night can help them sleep a little better.

And I ALWAYS give Motrin regularly. I myself always take it with a cold, because it helps with all kinds of inflammation - red nose, scratchy throat, throbbing head-in-a-bucket feeling etc.

I read somewhere that rubbing vicks vaporub on a child's feet and putting socks on before bed provided more relief for coughing than any cough medicine. I haven't tried it on my kids, but DH had a terrible cough and was desperate so he tried it - and we both slept that night.

Closed Thread