It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User
Whole milk on the airplane...what should I bring?

So, we are flying with our 13 month old to France next week and I called the airline to see if they have whole milk. They said, they couldn't be sure they will have it and to bring my own. How do I bring my own when it needs to be fresh and refrigerated? I checked the Horizon single serving boxes, but those are only 2% low-fat milk. Can she even drink the boxed milk on the shelf?

Does anyone have any advice?

Does anyone have any other advice for flying with an energetic walking toddler? I got her first DVD, but I think that'll only hold her attention for about 30 minutes. The flight is 8 hours!

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Whole milk on the airplane...what should I bring?

Wow! You are far more brave than I am! I flew with my daughter one way when she was 12 months because we were moving, she was good. Now she is nearly two and on the go. I want to fly back to the midwest next month to visit family and I am already worried. I have a PSP (handheld Sony Playstation) that you can buy movies for, so I am hunting for some Disney/Pixar movies. I brought some new books when I traveled with her last time and I am going to do the same this time. She is starting to soak up everything and I buy the search and find or I Spy books or toddlers, or BrainQuest for 2-3 year olds, so we can learn new words, number, colors, etc. When I try to distract her, we do the itsy bitsy spider and pat a cake. FOOD is ALWAYS a great distraction too. I bought some milk at the airport at one of the cafes. I don't think that drinking 2% milk while on travel is bad. My daughter drinks it when I traveled with her. I also buy the Horizons "boxed" milk, sometimes I buy her chocolate too. I am wondering if you could even take those with you because you can only carry less than a couple of ounces of lotion, etc. and only breast milk through the security check point. They do sell the Horizons milk at Starbucks, so you could find it there once you are checked in, I hope this helps. Buy some new toys and books and get a few more DVD's for that flight!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wanted to ask you, what kind of carseat are you using to travel with? I had the regular infant carseat when I traveled last time with my daughter and it was fairly easy, although a little heavy, but I would carry her easily and when boarding. Now, we have a regular toddler carseat and I am unable to carry that and her and my bag. I know you can buy wheels to strap to the carseat and let her sit in it and push her through the airport, but the wheels are pricey and then I would have to undo everything to get her though the plane and seated. She she is really small 23 pounds and 28" tall, I am going to buy a Graco Step 1 SafeSeat that is like the infant carseats, but holds up to 30 pounds and 32" in length. I am just wondering what everyone else does?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

as long as the airline provides some milk, i wouldn't worry about if it's whole or 2% or even skim. save yourself the trouble and don't attempt to pack your own! it won't hurt her to go without the whole milk for a day or two.

i don't fly with my two anymore (can't afford it), but i do drive with them back and forth between my house and my family's house and that is an eight hour drive.... and i do it alone most of the time because my husband has to work! so these ideas are based some on what i did when i flew with my first when she was about a year old, but more based on what we've done since my second was born and we've been driving back and forth a lot!

aquadoodle makes these great little coloring pages that you fill the pen with water and the pages change colors.... like those paint with water books.... BUT you can use the aquadoodle pages over and over again because the colors/pictures fade when the page dries. my girls love them! we got our first when my four year old was just a year old and she has loved them ever since! i've found them at walmart and target. actually, any of the travel aquadoodle products are great.

color wonder products are pretty good too, but they cost a lot more and they're not reusable. guess it depends on what you want!

another idea is playdough. i realize it might sound horrific, but it's not really that messy and since you're right there, you can keep the mess to a minimum.... just pull the seat tray down and let her go crazy with it. they have the small fun sized packs that are perfect for travel. and if you're not terribly anal about it, let her mix the colors together and experiment with that (i have issues about color mixing, but i'm trying to let it go!!!).

the disney store has some new magnet board toys (similar to colorforms) that i wouldn't normally say to get for a 13 month old, but since you will be right with her playing with her, you might look at those for your trip. my sis-in-law got some for her 15 month old (they travel a lot too) and she just loves them!

picture flash cards are good too. when my two year old was probably your daughters age, we discovered some picture cards in the dollar spot at target and they've been on her favorite toys list ever since!

there are also some foam puzzle books made for toddlers. my grandma just got one made from fisher price for my two year old this past christmas and she absolutely loves it.... my one year old nephew loves it too and he's contantly stealing it from her every time he comes over!

if you plan on bringing a laptop, one really soothing thing my husband does with my little one (and has done since she was a baby) is to set up the slide show with all our family pictures and he'd just hold her and let her watch the family slide show and he'd talk to her really softly and tell her about all the pictures and the people in the pictures..... i think you could do it with a dvd player if you put a slide show onto a dvd (you'd have to make sure it was compatible though!).

dora dvds have always been great at capturing the attention of my daughters from about 10 months old! i would definitely recommend grabbing a dora dvd or two!

snacks! lots of snacks! that is one thing that can always make my kids happy! gold fish, dry cereals, fruit puffs, raisins, fruit snacks, etc....

and if all else fails, there is always benadryl!!!

OH! one thing i feel i should mention...... make sure you have more than plenty of diapers and wipes on hand! when we flew with my daughter, our plane was delayed by several hours due to the weather and all of a sudden we were out of diapers!!! it was horrible! also pack at least two spare outfits in your diaper bag/carry on too because you just never know what might happen!

hope some of these ideas can help! good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

I wouldn't worry at all about not having whole milk for a day or two either. 2% is fine. I do it all the time when we run out of whole milk for my son. I just use the 2% the rest of the family uses until I can get him more. It's certainly not going to hurt them.

The previous poster had great ideas. I would just make sure whatever you buy for her, don't let her see it until you actually give it to her on the plane. That way it's all new.

Along with new things I bought, I used to bring very simple things too that would occupy mine. Like a straw to chew on, a plastic spoon. Mine were fascinated watching the water slosh around in clear water bottle. And yes, snacks, snacks, snacks are a must!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

Alexa- we are using our convertible car seat and just going to put it on a cart and hopefully they'll be room on the plane for it. Otherwise, we'll gate check it.
Thanks to everyone for your great ideas. I'm not going to worry about the milk for a day and I'm going to check out the aquadoodles, straw, DVDs, etc... Maybe an "I spy for toddlers" book since she loves books.
Unfortunately she's sick with an upper respiratory virus now so I hope she feels better before the flight. I'm coming down with a cold too.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

For the person who asked about the carseat - I traveled with my toddler and found those wheely things a bit pricey as well. I used 2 bungy cords crosswise to attach the carseat to my rectangular wheeled carry on. I also used the small bag attachement at the top as a back up. As long as they are short enough that they fit snugly around the suitcase - mine didn't move the whole time. I just undid them when we got to our seat and redid them as we were leaving. Also - a backpack leash was a MUST.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Alexa- we are using our convertible car seat and just going to put it on a cart and hopefully they'll be room on the plane for it. Otherwise, we'll gate check it.
Thanks to everyone for your great ideas. I'm not going to worry about the milk for a day and I'm going to check out the aquadoodles, straw, DVDs, etc... Maybe an "I spy for toddlers" book since she loves books.
Unfortunately she's sick with an upper respiratory virus now so I hope she feels better before the flight. I'm coming down with a cold too.
oh no! being sick is no fun!!! if she is still sniffly by the time you guys are ready to fly, it might be a good idea to have something chewy on hand for her for take off and landing (something like raisins or fruit snacks maybe?) because her ears are likely to pop and that can be painful with a cold! chewing will help her ears pop.... pack some gum or something for yourself too!

good luck with it all!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Does anyone know for sure if you can bring sealed juice/milk boxes with you through security? I would rather bring my own and have plenty for our 4.5 hour flight. I am thinking that isn't allowed anymore. Also, I purchased the Graco Step 1 Safeseat for my 22 month old daughte because she is only 23 pounds and 28 inches tall. This seat also gives you the option to use it without the base too which will be great for travel, because the base weighs the same as the seat itself.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

if it's a long flight, they almost always have apple juice and orange juice on hand. i am fairly certain they won't let you bring your own, sealed or not, but it might depend on the airline. you'd have to call to know for sure. all the regulations and rules on airplanes sure do make it hard to travel with a child, don't they??? if you talk to them ahead of time and explain that you have a toddler who will be quite unhappy if she doesn't have her milk/juice when she needs it, i'm sure they'll make sure to keep up a steady supply for you! nobody wants to deal with an unhappy toddler on an airplane, so the flight attendants are usually pretty good about doing what it takes to keep that toddler happy! hopefully it all goes well for you!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I read you can bring 3 oz. or less sealed in a sealed quart size ziploc bag through security, but you have to take it out of your bag and place in in the tray and you also have to let them know you have that for further inspection......(sigh) I don't know what Alexa will do without her organic Clifford juice boxes for 6 hours!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

if it's just the fact that it's clifford on the juice that she is attached to, and she won't do without, you could go find some clifford stickers and stick them to whatever juice boxes they have on the plane.... my sis-in-law has done something similar with princess stickers! i'm a bit meaner than that. i figure if my kids are thirsty enough, they'll drink what they're offered and be grateful for it!

if you're worried that the airplane isn't serving organic.... well.... i've never really bought into the organics anyway.... but it certainly won't hurt her to go non-organic for half a day. if you're really worried about it, water it down in a sippy cup.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

The stickers are a great idea, even just to keep her busy on the airplane. She prefers Clifford juice boxes when she has a choice, and they are a good distraction, but they don't havr to be that kind, she will drink anything. Although I do buy organic, I am not a freak over it. We go out to eat and I love to bake sweets and I know those things are not organic and are made with chemicals, you can't completely free yourself of them, but I just try to minimize it by buying the organic counterpart at the store. I would have been nice to be able to bring my own drinks for her. Besides, the airport cafes are going to be way more expensive!

Closed Thread