It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
How many bottles should my 7 month old be taking each day?

I am a little confused on this whole thing. How many bottles should she be taking a day at 7 months, and how many ounces per bottle? I thought for sure she should be taking 6 ounces at a time. When she is at home, that is what I give her. What I've been doing is giving her a bottle first thing, then cereal and fruit, then a bottle, then cereal and fruit then a bottle, then veggies for dinner, then a bottle before bed. Does this sound right?

My MIL watches her while I work in the morning. I give her a bottle before leaving, six ounces. I drop her off at 6:00 and pick her back up at 11:45. I told my MIL to start giving her a six ounce bottle and cereal with fruit during the time she has her. I even provided her with a bigger bottle. However, she is still just giving her 4 ounces at a time. I am not sure why. She is one of those know it all MILs, but maybe she is right. Am I feeding her too much?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Re: How many bottles should my 7 month old be taking each day?

Hey Delia!
I think your schedule sounds about right. It also depends on how far apart her feedings are. I am pretty much doing the same thing with Madeline. She drinks 7 oz at 8am, then she has cereal and solids around 11-11:30am(we're still introducing, so it depends on the food of the week!), and she only takes about 2-4 oz with her food. I think she gets too full, so I don't push it. Then we do another bottle around 2:30pm, then cereal and 4 oz around 5-6pm, then about 6 oz before bed.
I think you and your MIL are doing what's best for Ella and just taking her cues. I'm sure your MIL is not starving her! I think I would be concerned if when you take Ella home and she's STILL hungry. Then I would definitely say something. If she's spitting up, then she's probably getting too much at once and I may back off the bottle. Solids definitely don't replace the formula, but when she's eating a lot of solids, she may be getting too full. You know your baby best!
How are you feeling??? Are you going to find out the sex of baby #2? I can't wait to hear all about it! Keep us posted!
Take Care! Laura

Last edited by LauraLu; 02-12-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I am not sure exactly how she is spreading them out. I just know she is eating about 24 ounces of formula a day when she is with me all day long. I just figured at this age that she should be eating more at a time and spreading them out. Also, I never give her formula with her food. She has food alone and then the next time it's time to eat, she just has the bottle...I kind of just switch off every other time. Does that make sense? I had the hardest time to get her to take more than 2 ounces at a time when she first started bottle feeding. It seemed like forever before she would eat 4 ounces. Then she stayed like that for a long time. I've really just started giving her 6 ounces per feeding in the last month really. And like I said, since my MIL isn't doing the same, it's not consistent unless she is home with me all day (weekends etc.) She doesn't seem full to me. She eats like a champ. Always finishes her food and bottles (unless she falls asleep during her bottle at night) and she never spits up. So I guess she is doing ok. I just never have gotten this feeding thing down right. I always feel like I am doing something wrong.

I am feeling great. I have my first appointment next Tuesday and can't wait. We are definitely finding out the sex this time too! I would never have the patience to wait until the baby was born. I will keep you updated on how things are going.

Thanks for your advice too!

Last edited by Delia79; 02-12-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Doesn't sound like you're doing a thing wrong! Just remember - Ella doesn't know the difference...she's just happy for the food! As long as you love her!

Last edited by LauraLu; 02-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Delia! So you're expecting again. Congrats!!!
Tanner has 3 6oz bottles (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
Then an 8oz bottle before bed and sometimes he wakes up in the night and he has a little 4oz bottle then. Sometimes he may leave an ounce here or there from one of the bottles.
As for solids, he is not really interested at all. I try to keep giving him some in the morning and evening. But most times he doesn't eat, just plays around and does anything else OTHER than eat!

Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Hey Delia-

My Ella is on a similar schedule. She takes a 7oz bottle when I get her up in the morning (between 6 and 7) and then (at daycare) her next feeding is cereal and fruit and about 4-5oz bottle, then her next feeding is fruit and veggies and then a 6 oz bottle later, then she has more fruits and veggies for dinner and a 6oz bottle. She doesn't always drink all of her bottle either, especially now that she's getting the fruits and veggies- she refuses the bottle and starts looking for the food.

In all- my Ella is eating about 3/4-a full jar of fruit a day, 1/2-3/4 jar of veggies a day, a bit of cereal and around 24oz of formula...and she seems content. Our doctors are good with her schedule.

GOOD LUCK with baby #2,
Sarah

Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

Delia - first of all, congrats on baby #2! How exciting!

Your feeding schedule sounds about right. Babies eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. As long as your MIL is feeding her until she's full with the bottle, I'm sure she's fine. They don't need as much formula when they're on solids and they get full with the solids and won't eat as much formula. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I'm glad Ella's doing well!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

WOW! My DS is not eating anywhere near what your girls are eating. He just doesn't have any interest in food. I have a very picky eater on my hands.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

it really depends on the baby.... when my first was a baby, she ate and drank a TON!!! my second was a completely different story! she completely stressed me out because i thought she was going to be malnourished because she didn't eat even half of what her sister had eaten at that age!!! she didn't really start eating until she was almost a year old, too.... but she turned out perfectly healthy.....

point being, don't stress about it. mothers and mothers in law can be a royal pain to deal with when it comes to raising our children!!! and telling them they're wrong can spark world war III and put a strain on all family involved....

kids never perform the same way with other people as they do for their parents! i think they just develop their routine with certain people and that is what they are comfortable with.... as long as your daughter is happy when you pick her up from grandma's house, i wouldn't stress too much about it. keep the peace in your family and let grandma do what grandma wants to do....

one thing that might help grandma start following your routine is to bring the formula in a divided container and fill each section with six ounce servings, and have the bottles already filled with 6 ounces of water.... you know, to make it "easier" for her....

hope this helps, and good luck!

Closed Thread