It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Question Yellow tinge to 9 mo, and orange nose?

Hi everyone,

I wrote a post a few months ago about my now 9 mo ds and his "orange" nose. I asked his doctor about this at his 6 month check up and basically he had no idea what I was talking about, or why that would happen. It really seems to be off and on, and I mentioned to him that maybe it's that he's eating too many orange fruits and veggies, and he really didn't seem to think that could be the problem. I tried reducing the amounts of orange stuff he eats anyway (which is really, really hard!), and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Now, within the last month or so I've noticed that sometimes he also has a yellowish tinge to him! I don't know if this could be jaundice, or if this can even happen to babies this old, I've only ever heard of newborns getting it. He does have a check up on Feb. 25, so I will ask the doctor about it then (oh, and I have a picture of the orange nose this time to show him), but I was just wondering in the meantime if anyone has any ideas? I asked my mom what she thought about his color just last week, and she said she wasn't sure if she should mention it, but that she noticed he did have a bit of a yellow color to him, so that confirmed that I'm not imagining it! Not everyone notices it, but like I said it seems to come and go... And it also seems to be in any lighting. His eyes don't have any yellowing and he seems very healthy (has a good appetite, is still drinking about 32oz of breast milk a day, and is gaining sufficient weight). Any thoughts??

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Re: Yellow tinge to 9 mo, and orange nose?

Hi hon,
Well I thought only newborns could get jaundice too but that is not true. A baby in the family she was 1 year had yellow/orange skin for a while. Kept asking the doc about it and he kept saying that she was eating too much orange food. To cut back. Well did that no difference. Went on for months and mom knew something wasn't right kept asking doc and said she was fine. I don't remeber what happened but the baby ended up really sick and was taken to the hospital and found out she was jaundice was really bad. She was in the hospital for days. Anyways if it were me I would again ask the doc and if he brushes it off go get a second opinion. But that is just me. Good luck I hope your little one is okay. Sherri

Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gemmalou HB User

i agree with what sherri-lynne said, its not just babies that get jaundice. when my son went into hospital with his eye problem when he was 6 months old he was also very yellow. my father-in-law also gets jaundiced when he is unwell (he has some serious stomach problems so gets it frequently) id say if his eyes aren't yellow and he is healthy otherwise it may just be one of those things, my ds still has a yellow nose and cheeks every now and again (which other people also comment on) the dr's show little concern but after the trouble i went through with his eye problem i always go on gut instinct, if you are still worried go for a second opinion, (if i didnt get a second opinion my son could have become very seriously ill)

Old 02-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

Check the whites of his eyes. If they aren't yellow I'd say its not jaundice. All I have to do to turn my babes yellow/orange is feed them one serving of carrots. And this went on until my oldest was well over a year. It's not unusual.

Closed Thread