It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
At what age could your baby sit without support?

My dd is almost 7 months and can sit for a few seconds before toppling over. I was just curious as to what the "standard" age is for most babies to be sitting without support. We have one of those bumbo chairs, but she tries to worm her way out of it. What do other moms do to assist their babies in sitting independently? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User
Re: At what age could your baby sit without support?

Hey LauraLu-

I don't know the "standard" age, Ella's a chunky baby, she had the support of her big belly helping her, so she's been sitting up since around Christmas time (around 5.5 months), but there's another baby at Ella's daycare that was born 2 weeks before her(end of June) and she's not sitting up (she can with support)...so, obviously, all babies are different.

I have no support to back this up, but I feel like when I was in college and taking child development classes, sitting up should occur between 6-9 months. If I'm remembering correctly, of my nephews sat up without support around 6.5 or 7 months.

Is Madeline crawling yet? Ella started a few weeks ago, she's been "lunging" at stuff since the end of January, and the day before Valentine's Day (almost exactly at the 7 month mark) she started actually crawling, now she's literally into EVERYTHING!

Hope all is well!!!
Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Sarah ~ Thanks for the reply. I can't believe Ella is crawling already! I guess it is expected though...it was only a matter of time. I hear this is the time when most moms lose the rest of their baby weight, lol. Have fun with it! I cannot wait for Madeline to start...although I may regret just writing that ! So, yeah, no crawling yet, but she has started lunging and going after things, oh boy! Take Care!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

hey lauralu.... i recall a recent post where you said you had about 20 lbs left to lose, so get ready for it, cause once that baby starts crawling, you're done for!!!

my first was sitting pretty much on her own from about 6.5 months. i would usually put the boppy behind her (around her?) and i think that really helped her. i know it's awful, but i always had the tv on back when she was a baby, and she really got into it! but i think that helped her with sitting up because the tv was up off the floor and she had to sit up straighter to see it.....

my second.... shoot, i can't remember when she started sitting up. it was later than my first though.... maybe 9 months??? i was over that whole first time mom thing by then!

anyway, just sit and play with her.... hold fun toys up in front of her and keep them up out of her reach so she has to sit up and reach for them (that will help her strengthen her abdominal muscles). have fun and enjoy that baby!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

My son is 13 months and he's doing so many new things that I had to look in his baby book to see when he was sitting unsupported. He was 5 months when he was able to sit about 5 minutes at a time before he would lean the wrong way and tip. My boy was a little chunk so he had a big belly to help him balance.

I know this has nothing to do with the question you just asked but quite a few months ago you wrote asking the moms how they lost their baby weight. I just thought I would throw this in there.... I've been holding onto the last 20 lbs too and about a month ago I started "Fabulously Fit Moms" and I've lost a few inches. If you're still looking for ways to lose, you should give "Fabulously Fit Moms" a try.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mcr285 ~ Thanks for the reply! I have been propping her up and holding toys just a little beyond her grasp so that she would have more incentive to want to sit. So far so good ! You mentioned that it helps strengthen baby's abdominal muscles too...My child does crunches, I swear! She'll be laying flat and all of a sudden I'll see this little head pulling herself up, lol. It's a riot.

Tiff24 ~ I appreciate you taking the time to look in your son's baby book. Madeline also has "quite the tummy" to help her balance...who knew being chunky would come in helpful? I will have to check out "Fabulously Fit Moms." Is this a video that can be purchased in stores or online? I'm glad you're getting results. Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

It really sounds like you are doing the right thing by holding the toys just out of her grasp to try to get her to sit. I do think that we (as mommy's) should encourage and teach our babies new things (crawling, walking, potty training...) but I think a lot of it has to do with when your child is ready she'll sit by herself. And then when you make a big deal out of it she'll just look at you like you're crazy and with an attitude that she's been sitting forever! I love that attitude!

I bought those workout videos on-line. I actually don't think you can by them in stores, I might be wrong though. I saw an advertisement in "Parents" magazine and just searched for the cheapest price.

Closed Thread