It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
Loose Stools for One week and no other symptoms in 14 mo

in my 14 month dd.
she may be teething...not sure....i'm pretty sure though.
is this common?
she won't take pedialyte....trying to lighten up on the whole milk but she does need to stay hydrated...what do you suggest?
her diaper rash is so bad too....it's broken open in a couple of spots-either due to the teething or the loose poop. however, she's not going more than normal-just when she does, it's not formed.

any suggestions/experiences?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User
Re: Loose Stools for One week and no other symptoms in 14 mo

it could very well be her teeth.... all that excess drool can really screw up their little tummies and cause some really acidy, yucky (and painful) diapers!

i would treat it the same as a tummy bug though. only give her water (or very watered down juice) and skip the milk and all dairy until the loose stools (diarrhea?) stop. as long as she is having at least 3 wet diapers a day, dehydration isn't going to be an issue, so you don't have to worry about giving pedialyte (my kids HATE pedialyte!). go with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) for a few days.... those foods all seem to be good for settling upset tummies. stay away from milk and all other dairy until at least 48 hours after the last diarrhea diaper (it will NOT hurt her to go without milk for a week or two until her tummy gets back to normal!).

for her diaper rash, make sure she doesn't sit in a wet diaper long. rinse out the wipes completely, or use a soft wet washcloth, or wet paper towel to wipe her bottom.... some people just take their babies to the sink or tub and rinse them directly under the faucet. whatever works!

the quickest cure i know of is using a hairdryer on her bottom to dry up her bottom. a good method is to put her favorite tv show on and let her lay on her changing pad and watch tv while you hold the hairdryer on her bottom. just make sure it's on low heat and i always keep a hand right there so i can feel how hot it's getting. do this for about 30 minutes at least twice a day if she'll let you, and for at least 3-5 minutes with each diaper change just to make sure she's dry.

if she just won't let you hairdryer her bottom, at least use a soft dry towel to dry her bottom and let her air out for a good 5-10 minutes (or longer) before putting a new diaper on her.

the most important thing to remember is that a diaper rash will heal faster if it's allowed to dry out, so never put her diaper on her if her bottom isn't completely dry!

also, i would refrain from using any rash creams on her bottom (especially the open sores). do NOT use powder!!! if you think she just needs it, use vaseline.... and again, make sure she's completely dry before applying, or you're just sealing in the moisture!

i just went through this with my two year old last week, so i really understand what you are going through! good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

Very much appreciated!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

CoastieGirl7287 HB User

i just went thru this also. it took my husband and i both to change a diaper because she hurt so bad, but i think it was from teething

Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

It may be from teething. You can try a calendula cream on the bottom, it is from a marigold flower and has great skin healing abilities without the chemicals from commercial products. We just went through this and I still gave my daugher milk because she loves it and she wouldn't eat much, but she didn't have a rash. I still use the calendula cream anyways.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

Thank you.

Well, she still has one poop a day and it's soft. It's been two weeks offiically now so dr wants to see a sample tomorrow. she is now thinking it's from teething (like i thought all along) since she has no fever, no loss of appetite and no real crankiness (very clingy though!) she does have a new tooth that JUST popped thru this weekend-bottom one. makes it all seem linked to teething, doesn't it......

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

it still amazes me that so many doctors will still insist that your child has a virus inspite of the brand new teeth that happen to pop through at the exact same time!!! you're lucky your doctor will at least admit the possibility!

how is her diaper rash?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

well, she saw the dr yesterday afternoon and was checked out....since no fever, no irritability (except some new tantrums starting up because she doesn't get her way) and no lack of appetite, she's more than likely teething but they did send her diaper out for testing.

i just want her to be back to normal in the poop area soon! never thought i'd be so anxious to check her poop out each am!

as for her rash, it's gone! we do love Triple Paste and we used Neosporin when the rash actually opened.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User

Finally!!!!!
We've gone back to normal diapers!

Could i be more excited to see this??????

Closed Thread