It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

SimpleJoy HB User
How to put baby for a nap?

Hi
I have a 17 week old baby girl. She always stays little fussy. Either she is eating or sleeping or crying. She gets tired after 30 minute of awake period and than starts rubbing her eyes. Before I used to put her for a nap by using 5S method. ( Swaddling, swinging, side, Shhh, soothing) but as now she is getting bigger I can't do it any more. And I don't know how to put her to sleep. At night time I nurse her to sleep but it doesn't work for naptime. I tried to cuddle with her, put her in swing, sang to her but nothing is working.

Please let me know what method are you using to pur your baby for a nap and also if you have any naptime schedule...

Thanks in Advance...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User
Re: How to put baby for a nap?

Hi,

I started my DD on a schedule within the first couple of weeks. She is now ten months old. Naps were a challenge for the first couple of months, but finally we got in a good routine. I did feed/wake/sleep. So I would feed her, then she would have wake time, then after about 45 min, I would put her down for a nap.

I had a nap time routine that I used for every nap. Usually I would rock her for a min, but not let her fall asleep, and I would sing, then put her in her bed.

At first, she would protest. Then I would reach in the crib, and pat her back and make a shhhhh noise until she calmed down. I would stop before she fell asleep. After doing this for a month or so, I could finally put her down completely awake and she would fall asleep on her own.

She is an awesome sleeper now, and her naps are great and regular. Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

SimpleJoy HB User

Hi mjbrandon
Thanks for the reply.
Would you mind sahring your naptime/bedtime schedule? Also, feeding schedule at 4 month, you had?
Many time I thought about putting DD on a schedule always got confused with timeings I should follow for naptime...

Thanks again

Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Hmmmmm....I am trying to remember back to four months.....

It really depends on how many feeds per day. I would say at this age I was down to 5 feedings per day, and none for a 12-13 hour stretch at night. It also depends on how many naps. I think I was down to 3 naps per day. My DD took two 2 hour naps and one 1 hour nap per day. Here was her schedule at that time:

7:30 am Feed
Play time
9:30 am (whenever she started to seem tired, rubbing eyes yawning) put down for nap
11:30 am Wake, Feed
Play time
1:00 pm Put down for nap
3:00 pm Wake, Feed
Play time
4:30pm Put down for nap
5:30pm Wake, Feed (I usually would wake her up from this nap, so it didn't interfere with bed time)
7:00pm Bath, feed and in bed by 7 or 7:30. Sleep until 7-7:30 am the next morning

This is sort of approximate. Every child is different, so your baby may need more or less wake time between naps. I know from the reading I have done, most babies under 9 months old can't handle more than 2 hours of awake time without a nap. I know my daughter would get overtired if she was awake any longer that 2 consecutive hours. If your baby is having a hard time falling asleep, it may be an indication that they are getting overtired before their nap. I would try less awake time.

Also, like I previously stated, a nap/bedtime routine really helps too. It helps your baby to know that it is time for bed. We do dim lights, rocking, singing, reading a book, then straight to bed for naps. For bedtime we do bath, lotion, pajamas, bottle, reading a book, straight to bed.

This is what worked for me! Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
(female)

SimpleJoy HB User

Hi mjbrandon and all ladies

I have started putting my daughter on schedule from the Sunday and I have to say that she is doing really better. I have made some naptime routine so now she knows when we are heading towards the nap.
I do have some questions for you if you can help me with that.
1) When I put her on a morning nap at 9:00 she wakes up after 50 minutes. How can I extend this particular nap?
2) She still wakes up at least 2 times for middle of the night feeding. And after 4:00 am feeding, she doesn’t go to sleep easily. She will sleep if I will sleep with her or if I will put her in her crib than she will wake up after every 30 minutes. So, how can I reduce middle of night feeding?

Thanks again

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Ok....

The 50 minute nap thing is your baby going through one sleep cycle and not knowing how to put herself back to sleep. My daughter went through a phase of this, and I usually find that it ends in a week or two. My best advice is to give her a few minutes to resettle. I usually don't go in and soothe my daughter until she starts crying. If she isn't crying, just whining, then I will leave her and see if she goes back to sleep on her own.

If she starts crying, then I usually will go in and "Pat, shhhhh" her. That means I pat her on the back and make a "shhhhhhh" noise. Sometimes this will help her fall back asleep. I don't have to do this anymore, but when she was your daughter's age, I did.

As far as the night sleep, I have a couple of suggestions. I always made sure when I nursed my daughter at night, I kept the lights off and everything quiet. I didn't talk to her at all. I tried to treat the middle of the night feeding like a business transaction. Eat, and straight back to bed.

I would probably stop pulling her into bed with you (if you clearly don't want to co-sleep, not that there is anything wrong with co-sleeping) and I would instead expect a few nights of messed up sleep, and really focus on making her sleep in her crib. I would do the same trick that you do for naps. I would first give her time to resettle, then I would "pat, shhhh" her. Whatever you do, don't start picking her up, unless she is really REALLY upset. Then obviously you have to calm her down.

I hope that helps. Every baby is different, this is just what happens to have worked for us. Hope that helps!

Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

babyluv01 HB User

i thought i'd chime in on what we did...dd is now 5 1/2 months old and has a really good bedtime schedule. her last feeding is around 8 - 830pm and she sits up with us til 9. except on bath nights, she bathes around 730 - 8 then eats. since day 1, 9 has been her bedtime. even when we were feeding 3 -4 times a night. she'd wake at midnight, 2, 4, 6 then up at 6 or 7 for the day. eventually she started to drop her own feeding and by the time she was about 8 - 10 wks old she'd rarely wake to eat and sleep from 9pm to 6 -7am. when we started putting her in her own bed (1 month exactly dh made me ) first we'd rock and ssshhh til she fell asleep then put her to bed. after about 3 -4 wks of that we'd rock and sshhh til she got sleepy and put her to bed sleepy. then we transitioned to putting her right to bed with paci in mouth and mobile going and walked out. she'd spit out paci and fuss about 4 times. after about 2 wks of reinserting paci for bed she eventually started to go to sleep on her own and usually without paci. but we still give it to her for the initial falling asleep.

naps on the other hand have changed for us. before she'd get up at 7am then down for nap at 10, sleep about an hr then nap again around 1 or 2 then she'd sleep for 30 - 1 1/2 hrs then her evening nap was at 6 for usually an hr. now she's starting to make her own nap times. and we just play them by ear, if she starts to get fussy then its nap time. and thats usually around noon and 5 or 6. today though she slept once for a total of 20 min. she just didn't want to sleep but she never got cranky. just had energy. needed to wear her down more in her jumperoo!

GL and hope you get a schedule going!
2 fur babies - hershey (min pin) & socks (calico)

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
(female)

baylor_girl HB User

I have a 9 week old daughter who usually wakes two or three times from about 8pm - 7pm(which I am very grateful for) but am struggling with naps still.

For the last week I have been trying the ideas in "the no cry sleep solution" and have seen great results. For the past 4 days she has taken 2-3, 1-2 hour naps a day which is a major improvement from her 5-6 15 minute cat naps she would take on my shoulder (she would wake cranky and sleepy).

She is so young I am not too focused on the clock but know that she does need sleep during the day (and I need breaks).

I'm not usually a big fan of 'what the experts say' but I really believe in this book. It has great ideas and plans for all ages.

Closed Thread