It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Does your baby hold their own bottle?

My daughter just turned 7 months and has NO interest in holding her own bottle. Our pediatrician said that babies who don't hold their own bottles are easier to wean...I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Does your baby hold their own bottle?

DS would never hold his own bottle -- think I saw it twice. Apparently at daycare he'd hold it himself, but never for us. As for weaning, I do believe he preferred sippy cups and regular glasses at an early age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

Mine is 10 months and she still doesn't want to hold hers. I always thought it was because I never really tried to make her. I enjoy feeding her bottles. So, nope, you are not alone.

We haven't started to wean yet, but hopefully what your pediatrician said is true.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

My youngest daughter was 11 months old before she even attempted to hold her own bottle. She weaned at 12 months.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

My daughter is 13 months and doesn't even hold her own sippy cup, lol.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

neither of mine were interested in holding their bottles until they didn't have a choice.... i started putting them in their bouncy seats or carrier seats for bottles and rolled up a blanket to prop the bottle and would put their hands on either side of the bottle to show them how to keep it in place.... it took them about a week to figure it out. and i was always right there to help them when they dropped it.... i wouldn't just prop a bottle and leave them to fend for themselves!!!

it was a life saver for me because then i could give them their bottles when we were out shopping, or on a long drive, or when they wanted a bottle while i was making dinner or cleaning house or whatever....

oh, and they were both around 7 months when i started doing this.

Last edited by mcr285; 03-03-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
(female)

uagirl7 HB User

My DS is 9 months old and has been holding his own bottle for quite awhile. I think he was around 4 months when he held it for the first time. Of course, he didn't do it consistently but he has been really holding his own bottle since he was about 7 months. At daycare, he feeds himself. They put him on a boppy and he gives himself the whole bottle. I do this at home every once in awhile if there is something that I have to do but I still love giving him his bottle so I don't do it very often.

Closed Thread