It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User
Any of your babies have extreme fussiness after shots?

My baby just got her 1st vaccinations and she screamed like I've never heard her scream before for 12 hours after getting them. I was giving her Tylenol and nothing seemed to help. It's now several days later and she is still extremely fussy (but not as bad as the first 12 hours). She is crying much more than she ever had before and we can't take her out in public because she has meltdowns. We called the pediatrician last night and she thinks that this is from the shots and to continue giving her small amounts of infant Tylenol only when she is very fussy and said this could last up until 1 week after she got the shots (so, a few more days). She has not had a fever. Anyone else had this experience?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Re: Any of your babies have extreme fussiness after shots?

HI

My son did fine in all his vacs up until the MMR at about 15 months. He began throwing tantrums, hitting himself on the head with his hands, screaming and sobbing, etc. It really scared me and I was researching like crazy what could be causing this. people kept telling me welcome to terrible twos which made me mad he wasn't anywhere near two. and had never been like that before ,always a nice mellow kid. I even called the doctor office the nurse said, oh no that couldn't be from the shots, he is probably teething, (he wasn't) This went on for about 6 weeks and suddenly out of the blue it stopped. Once again, he is a laid back kid, a tantrum for him consists of making this "grrrr" sound when he gets mad and he hardley every cries unless he is hurt. I am convinced it was the vac.

As for young infants, I remember reading that excessive or unusual crying after a shot is a sign something isn't right. Definetly insist your baby be seen by the doc or go to ER if the extreme crying and fussiness persists after a week. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

I remember it was only after the first set of shots that my son was cranky. He is now 16 months and he hasn't acted this way with any of his other shots. Infact, he hardly cried with his last set.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

The difficult part is that if the vaccines are causing your baby to act like this, many doctors will not acknowledge it. If she is crying and cranky, I really don't think you should keep giving her Tylenol, that is a drug after all and if she is not sick and does not have a fever, I think it is dangerous personally. I have a couple of suggestions, if this isn't subsiding you need to try to find a doctor who will acknowledge this if you can or you could go to a naturopathic doctor and see what they say about this. Also, instead of Tylenol, try giving your baby a warm bath with some lavendar oil in it, it naturally relaxes and calms and there are no chemicals is lavendar essential oil and if you don't "wear" your baby or use a sling, try using one and keep her close so she feels safe and warm. PLEASE let us know what happens and please do some research about these vaccines, only because they contain toxic chemicals and babies bodies are unable to filter out these toxins therefore causing many problems that people debate about.......you could also look into at least staggering the shots in the future. I hope this help and good luck!!!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

I agree with the warm bath idea. My little one is always relaxed with a bath, especially after getting her shots. Her little legs just get so sore and this really helps her. Let her soak, and sing to her. You may feel funny at first, but it definitely helps with my daughter.
As far as giving her Tylenol, does she act less fussy after receiving it? If she's still fussy, then I would stop giving it to her. It's probably something else then. Be careful with the Tylenol. Too much is never good.
The next time your daughter has her vaccinations, make sure you give her Tylenol about an hour before she gets them so it's already in her system (I hope I didn't offend you, I don't know if you knew this or did this).
I hope your little girl is feeling better soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User

She was given the Tylenol right after her shots and she is only given it now if she is screaming (high pitched which she does when she's very uncomfortable). The Tylenol does calm her down a bit. She is doing better today so far and we will have to see what happens. Hopefully she continues feeling better.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Do a little homework on the subject and see how the idea of staggering the remaining shots grabs you. That is what we are doing and yes, the "pain-in-the-butt" factor rises, but its worth it to me to ensure my child's safety.

MY opinion ( just my opinion based on my research, don't anybody get excited )is that it is too many chemicals at once for their little bodies to handle, hence the bad reactions. Again, just MY PERSONAL thoughts, I'm not trying to start a debate.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I agree with Kitty, staggering if you choose that route may be more of a pain, but the truth is there are some very dangerous and toxic chemicals in all vaccines. Like I mentioned before, a babies body does not have the ability to deal with these harsh chemicals and they are more susceptable to a reaction. These chemicals are stored away in the tissues of the body because they body isn't sure how to process them.

I hope you take my adivce and try using a sling and lavendar oil instead of Tylenol, if you baby is only 2 months old, she is still a newborn and there were recently issues with parents giving their babies too much Tylenol. There are other ways to help a baby relax without drugs. Have you tried using a sling yet? I always found that to help a lot and I would keep my baby close to me, if I wasn't wearing her, I was holding her.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

To the original poster...........

I agree with Alexa, do some more research on the subject. What your baby is in the middle of is considered a pretty significant reaction to the shot. I would strongly consider having the baby's shots spaced out next time, or maybe even not giving that one at all again. Also, not to offend anyone by disagreeing...but giving Tylenol has nothing to do with helping your baby right now, it's just more chemicals to deal with, I would stop right away.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
(female)

twilson29621 HB User

I definitely agree with at least spacing the shots out from here on out. That is what I intend to do with my daughter. I saw on the nightly news a couple weeks ago where a couple won a government settlement because their child developed autism after being given 5 simultaneous vaccinations at 18 months. The couple said their daughter was developing normal. After the shots, she ran a fever and was irritable. Then she started doing odd things like spinning..etc. I personally think what others have said... those shots are too much on their developing immature immune system. I have decided to space my daughters shots out. Only one jab at a time. and also..I will not give her an immunization if she is already sick with something else because I figure her immune system is already trying to fight what she has and doesn't need to fight off anything else from a vaccination.

Closed Thread