It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User
17 month old's screaming/crying fits?

My daughter will be 17 months old this Thursday.

Last Thursday night when I got her home from daycare/work, she screamed her head off for 20 minutes. I could not console her or anything. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with her, other than she hadn’t pooped yet that day.

Friday she was at daycare and was fine. They said she was in a really good mood. Get her home, and same thing the night before – screaming for no reason.

Saturday morning another screaming fit for no reason. I could not console her. She didn’t want down, she didn’t want up. I couldn’t sit down with her, etc. I figured since she hadn’t pooped that she needed a suppository (it’s been 3 days). So we went to Walgreens and got her some. Worked like a charm. So I thought that was the problem.

Well Sunday morning, she has another screaming fit. Like she’s in pain. I mean these spells are ear piercing. And it’s to the point where she is gagging herself and almost throwing up.

My gut told me something wasn’t ‘right’ with her, so I took her to urgent care. After being there all afternoon, the doctor told me that her ears were ‘red’ and that her throat was ‘red’. Well, I’m going to assume that her throat was red from all the screaming (which the doctor witnessed – and even had the nerve to ask me “doesn’t that un-nerve you to have her scream like that”?)

Anyway, they gave me amoxicillian for the ear infections. But then she gave me a script for eye drops? Because if she got goop in her eyes, I would have it. Then she gave me a script for ear drops – but only to be used if I see puss coming out of her ears? Needless to say, I only got the amixicillian filled.

I’ve dealt with my daughters ear infections before – but this is different. She never has screamed like that before. And she is NOT running a fever at all.

I’m at a loss. Could it really be just her ears hurting her? Could it be growing pains?

She is sleeping, but waking up an hour earlier than she normally does.

Sorry this is all over the place, I’m REALLY concerned, but don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions?

And please tell me that she is not doing this out of habit???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User
Re: 17 month old's screaming/crying fits?

Hey Trooper, long time, no see!

I have heard that this can be so common at this age. They turn into little monsters and many believe it is part of the terrible twos. I had a mother of 3 children tell me last week that at 15 months all three of her girls turned into these "monsters" and she had no idea who the little person was! I was like, "Oh great!" since my son is 16 months.

I only think this b/c you said she is great all day at daycare. Maybe she is seeking attention and this is how she is getting it from you?

Now, if she isn't feeling well, then that could be all this is.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Hi Keltokel! Yeah, I haven't been on the boards much. Live has been super busy since the beginning of December.

I'm at my wits end with this. I need help!

Is it possible for a 17 month old to have growing pains? Based on the past, she grows in spurts. At one point, right after her first birthday, she grew 1.5 inches in a short 4 weeks.

Her antibiotic should have already kicked in by now. She was good on Monday, but yesterday was completely different. She had 2 screaming fits over nothing at all. Then at 9pm (she goes to bed at 7pm) she woke up screaming.

These screams are inconsolable. She doesn't want up, she doesn't want down, she doesn't want anything at all. I don't know what else to do for her!

After her bout last night, she screamed for 10 minutes, then stopped as quickly as it started and went back to sleep. During her fit, I just held her and sang to her and used her John Lennon musical elephant, which usually calms her down.

I don't get it. What is going on with my baby????

When she isn't screaming, she's happy, running around, exploring, singing, talking, etc.

Someone please offer advise! I'm going to call her pediatrician today too.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Could she be teething?? I heard the molars are horrible! it would normally bother them at night because after a full day, when things calm down the gums start to throb.
Also, my son was a nightmare before the time change. I think his body was all confused and he was exhausted by 6pm. He's all better now : )

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

Thanks JellyB_3, but she's got a full set of teeth - minus the 2nd set of molars and those don't come in until 25 - 33 months. She's got all 4 first set molars.

I'm at a loss.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
(female)

lesman6 HB User

I also have a 17 month old girl who does the same thing, and usually it is right after I pick her up from day care (her Grandma's) or when she gets too tired. She screams and stiffens her legs, she doesn't want held but gets mad if you put her down, etc. Other than these fits she really is a good little baby. I think possibly it has something to do with getting overstimulated and not being able to process all that is going on. I noticed it happens a lot right when we get home, too, and everyone is busy putting things away, doing other things, etc. and I think she wants attention. Then after about 10 minutes she settles back into the routine and is fine.

I hope that nothing is wrong but it is always good to follow your instinct and have it checked out. Hopefully it is just a stage and it will go away on it's own.

The other thing I have been thinking about is a milk allergy causing the misbehaviour. She had a milk allergy as a baby but our Dr. said she would probably grow out of it. We thought that she has but I have read that allergies can have different symptoms at different ages?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

It may be teeth or her ears if you have had problems with that before. Also, the terrible twos start at 18 months and last about 6 months on average and do not actually start when they are two.

I would be careful using suppositories. They are chemicals that are going into a small child and being absorbed by the body. I dealt with some major constipation with Alexa for a while, so instead you need to look at her diet and water intake to correct any issues with this. It can almost always be corrected this way. In our situation, it was pretty warm out and she wasn't drinking enough water and in addition having too much cheese, yogurt and milk in one day. It took me a couple of weeks to figure it out, but I did it naturally. When she was constipated I gave her apple juice and lots of water and let her push it out when she felt ready.

I hope this helps.....children can have fits like this anytime, she may be at an age that she knows how to do this. Alexa will sometimes do this and she also does not want up or down....and I become confused and exasperated. Hang in there.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User

It has/had nothing to do with her teeth - she's got them all. And as stated her ear infections (and we've been thru a lot) have never made her act that way, ever.

The suppository was a last resort since she hadn't gone in 3 days. I had never used one before and saw no problem in using one then since that could have been the source of her screaming problem. It's not like I use them every day.

Her diet is awesome and she drinks more water than I do in a day. She normally has BM 2x a day. That was the first time she'd been constipated since she was born.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
(female)

lesman6 HB User

I had posted earlier about my 17 month old daughter having screaming fits like you described and just wanted to add something I realized. I also believe part of the problem with my daughter is that she understands so much and tries her hardest to communicate but does not have the ability quite yet. She talks and we understand a lot of her words, but we also don't understand a lot more. I think she is at the age that she just gets frustrated because she is trying to tell us things but doesn't know how. Maybe this is part of the reason for your daughters screaming fits too.

Closed Thread