It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Teething and diaper rash

I have a question regarding diaper rash. I read somewhere that when babies are teething that they can get diaper rash. Is this true? My daughter has always seemed to have a sensitive bottom. From the day we brought her home from the hospital, she has been prone to diaper rash. Nothing big and it was always easily cleared up. She is 8 months old now and has just cut her first two teeth. It seems as soon as she poops and it touches her butt, it's red!!! I of course change her immediately but no matter how quickly I change her, it doesn't seem to help. She just immediately gets irritated. I have tried Desitin at every changing, but have recently swithced to Aquaphor as it seems to work a little better. Last night, she had pooped and needed changing and when I went to change her, she just screamed. It was almost impossible to even clean her off because she kept pushing my hands away because it hurt. And I had changed her not long before that and there was no rash, so this was a new thing. I feel awful for her and it makes me feel so bad that she is hurting. I am just not sure why she gets this so easily lately? I've tried to leave her without a diaper for small amounts of time, but of course that is not easy with her peeing on everything. I am just not sure what else to do and what is causing her to be so sensitive. Could it really be the teething?

Old 03-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Teething and diaper rash

People say that a lot of things are old wives tales....fever when teething, loose stools when teething etc. I believe in both of them. I actually refer it as "drool stools." Kids obviously produce more saliva during teething. It just makes sense that would cause looser stools and for them to be more acidic...causing more irritation to the skin...giving them terrible diaper rash.
You might want to try and avoid diaper wipes when she gets bad. They have a little alcohol and perfumes in them and tend to be harder on skin that is already irritated. Trying using just plain Dove or Ivory bar soap (for sensitive skin is even better) and warm water. We actually just wipe the majority of the poop off with a really soft paper towel and stick their little bottoms under the tub spout and wash them and rise them when the bottoms got cherry red. Exposing to the air is the best. We just try to play with them on their changing table for a little while so they would pee all over the place and give a chance for the air to get to them. I would stick to the diaper creams as well. It helps provide more of a barrier.
Hopefully it won't last long. Good luck

Last edited by meechieny; 03-15-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks for your help! The Dove sounds like a great idea, I never thought of that. I actually use the Dove for sensitive skin myself, so I have it around the house!

Thanks for your great ideas!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Hey Delia,

Just wanted to add my two cents! My Ella got her first teeth when she was 3 months old, she now has 6 and is getting 2 more that are about to pop any day now! With her first two teeth she didn't have a diaper rash, but with her next 4 she did, and now she has another (unfortunatly we're not allowed to use any creams with her because we're having some concerns with her kidneys and the doctor's don't want us to use anythign on her until after all the test results come back).

Anyway- I'm not much help, except to say, I believe the "old wives tale" and it's happened to me :-)

Sarah

Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Tanner gets diaper rash when teething too! It must be all that drool the poor things swallow. I found a cream that works miracles...at least it did for Tanner. His diaper rash with his first tooth was so bad there were actual sores on his bum. A friend told me about "Little Goat's" zinc cream. Not expensive at all, got it at Walmart. Well it cleared it up in 24 hrs. This stuff was great. Maybe give it a try. It comes in a red and yellow tub.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Both of my kids got diaper rash when cutting most of their teeth. The acidic theory sounds logical. Certain foods can cause this too--but I am big believer in logic, old fashioned advice.
Another thing I did was keep a hair dryer next to changing table and after cleaning them up--I would use the cool setting and blow dry thier bottom. It sure can not hurt and helps to dry it up.
I use to use A&D ointment (no white residue to clean) Walmart has their brand and is much cheaper. Coat their bottoms good after every change.
Adding some vasoline at night for a thicker barrier might help too.
It is so heart breaking when babies go through all of the pains of baby-hood, I think that is why we can't remember it because it is too tramatic.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Delia ~ How are you?? How's that baby to be doing? Madeline FINALLY has teeth! She got her first tooth last week, and two days later the second popped through. Considering she'll be 9 months soon, I was starting to worry. Take Care and keep us updated! Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Laura,
I am great! Ella is getting a lot of teeth all of the sudden. She has had her bottom two for about a month or so now, but now she has FOUR coming in on top! Luckily for me, she's a champ. If I didn't look for myself, I'd never know they were coming in at all. The baby to be is so far so good. I've had some issues here and there. I started bleeding at 11 weeks, which scared me to death, but luckily it turned out to be nothing. They also haven't been able to find the heartbeat at my last two appointments with the doppler, but found it right away with ultrasound. The baby was just curled up. So 16 weeks and already four ultrasounds! Seems like my pregnancy will end up turning out as exciting as my pregnancy with Ella! I have my next ultrasound on May 1st and am really hoping to find out what we are having, I can't wait! I am glad Madeline got her teeth. Don't feel bad, my best friend's girl had four before Ella had any. I think they come in their own time. How is Madeline doing otherwise? Is she walking or anything yet? Ella is not walking, but sure making a go of it. She wants to so bad and is practicing letting go while holding on to the couch or any other thing she can pull up on. She's all over the place which makes it exhausting for me, but so worth it. She is honestly the love of my life! Well, let me know how you and Madeline are. It's sooo good to hear from you!

Last edited by Delia79; 04-15-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Closed Thread