It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User
Need help quitting pumping!

I am trying to quit pumping, but the engorgement is so painful. I used to pump 6 times a day getting a total of about 50 ounces per day. Now I am down to a fairly comfortable 4 times per day getting a little less. I am trying to shorten up my pumping sessions and also get to 3 times per day. Now I am stuck pumping till I'm empty for those 3 times because the engorgement is so painful, I can't resist.

Anybody have any tips for drying out with less pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Need help quitting pumping!

Part of the problem is that you can't pump until you are empty. It's hard not to, but just do it until the immediate pain is gone but you are still uncomfortable. Try to lessen your fluid intake as well. You can also put cold cabbage leaves in your bra. Cabbage has natural estrogen which will help you dry up. The cold also helps with the pain....a bag of ice sounds like torture but it actually feels good and will help your ducts contract. Try to wear the tightest bra (sports bra) that you have after you pump. You may want to even wrap yourself in an ace bandage. Never go without a bra, EVER. You need to wear it to bed even. Try not to let the hot shower hit them too long. It will stimulate a let down. Motrin works better than Tylenol because of the added anti-inflammatory agent. The only other thing I can think of is going on the pill. That too having estrogen will help dry you up. I had such a hard time with each of my kids that at times I would of rather been in labor. I feel for you
Good luck. Hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited by meechieny; 03-20-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User

This can be such a painful process. One thing that helped me was Tylenol and a very tight bra worn at all times. I took a bra that was 1 to 2 sizes too small, put that on, and then wrapped an Ace bandage around (very tightly). It helped me. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

liloulou HB User

I'm sorry this is painful for you. Just be patient. When I stopped, I wanted to stop pretty quickly, but in the end it took a few months. I too was pumping a lot and just decreased by one pumping session a week (or longer than a week depending on how I was doing). I did pump completely too because otherwise I just felt "full" all the time or needed to pump sooner.
I got down to once in the morning and once in the evening. Then eliminated the evening pump. Then, nothing. (that was the hardest)
take Tylenol when needed and USE THE CABBAGE LEAVES. Put slices through them with a knife and then insert them in your bra. These helped a lot.
Good luck and just be patient.

Last edited by liloulou; 03-24-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User

I used to pump exclusivly. When it was time to stop I slowly decreased the pumping frequency by one every couple days, until i was down to only once a day.

I made sure to put NO pressure on my breasts - didn't let the hot water hit them in the shower, didn't sleep on them at all - only on my back (not even on my side), and wore a good bra to give support.

I took some motrin every 4 hours for the pain... and in a matter of a couple days- the pain got better and I dried up.

good luck!

Closed Thread