It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
(female)

trvlr76 HB User
sick of being sick

I am just a ball of nerves these days. My poor DS has been sick for 4 wks! First it was an infection on his uncircumsized penis. 10 days of antibiotics for that.
At the same time was a cold. He continued to have a residual cough and some chest congestion for a couple weeks.
The second week of the cold, he caught a horrible stomach bug and was vomitting with diarrhea for 5 days. My mom came to help me, and she caught it, too. Only she ended up in the ER, and was hospitalized for 3 days.
The day after he seemed to finally recover from the stomach bug, his cough changed, and started to get worse. My DH said it was allergies. I wasn't so sure.
The next day, he had a 103 fever. I took him to the Dr. His ears looked bad, and his throat was red and inflamed. 10 more days of antibiotics.
Now he has diarrhea from the antibiotics.
And he's teething.
He's been on the meds for 5 days, with almost little to no improvement.
Should I go back to Dr.? He doesn't have fever, and is eating well. Not sleeping well, though.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: sick of being sick

How old is your son? Can he eat food? Yogurt with probiotics helps the immune system. Antibiotics kill BOTH the bad and good bacteria in the body and you need the good bacteria to stay healthy. Probiotics should be taken to promote the regrowth of this bacteria. Also, if he is given medication they contain chemicals which further comprimise the immune system while giving immediate results by suppressing the symptoms. He isn't healthy and the goal should be to prevention of sickness. Maintain a healthy immune system, if you are truely healthy you will not get sick. Make sure he is getting his vitamins, minerals, probiotics. Get a neat and orderly clean home. If he has allergies these can often be kept in check by having a clean home environment. Try cleaning with homemade cleaning products instead of harsh chemicals. There are things you can do in your home to keep chemicals out which hurt the body and immune system. If you live in an area where it is cold and your windows are closed up, your air inside may be dry. Viruses thrive in dry air and can easily spread from person to person. Try using a humdifier and adding some peppermint essential oil to it. You can also add a drop of eucalyptus oil to a bath. Eucalyptus oil is naturally antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
(female)

trvlr76 HB User

Does baby yogurt have probiotics? I like that idea.

My DS is 8 mths old, BTW. He caught the initital cold and stomach bug at Gymboree. I realize this will happen, as he exposed to other children, but I am so hesitant now to take him back. I am petrified of what he might get the next time!

How long do y'all think I should give the antibiotics to work before I take him back to the Dr.?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

I looked at Wal-Mart the other day for baby yogurt with probiotics and they don't have any so I'm not really sure if anyone makes a baby yogurt with it. You might try the adult yogurt though.

I think I would wait a week to let the antibiotics do their thing before calling the dr back. Unless a new symptom shows up.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

He really could have picked up the sickness anywhere and you shouldn't be afraid to go out or take him somewhere, the goal is to build a healthy immune system. I am very set on this and I practive prevention and my daughter and I are never sick. I have taken her everywhere with him since she was a week old and she doesn't get sick. I do not use antibacterial products and I do not use medications of any sort. We mostly eat organic foods and I use essential oils, probiotics, vitamins and minerals, and plenty of sunshine to keep us healthy.

I am not really sure what the difference is between baby yogurt and non-baby yogurt. I buy organic Horizons yogurt and the probiotic factor I use Glen Oaks in a bottle, it is drinkable yogurt and is thick kinda like a shake and very tasty. I also buy the Lifeaway brand, they make both kids and regular yogurt with probiotics, just look in that section of the store. It is a good place for start to health.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I think baby yogurt is just whole-milk yogurt in small packages. Babies should not have "lowfat" foods generally.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

If it means they are getting probitoics and the yogurt is not whole milk it doesn't mean that they shouldn't have it, although whole milk is ideal, other milk is okay....it is most important to keep the baby healthy so he doesn't get sick.

Closed Thread