It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User
Weaning from the bottle issues...

Hey gals, I know you can help with this...

My DD is 11 months, and I know it is probably time to atleast start thinking about weaning from the bottle, however, we are having some problems.

First, she doesn't take a sippy well. She has never held her own bottle, and therefore will not hold her own sippy either. Sometimes she will hold it, but she doesn't get how to tilt it up. I have tried EVERY type of sippy imaginable, but still no luck.

Also, I don't see any signs that she is ready to give up the bottle. She is down to three bottles a day, but she is still taking a full 8oz at every feed. I keep trying to up the solids, but still no luck. It is like she knows the bottle is coming, and so she will hold out for it.

Lastly, I think I am having difficulties with giving it up as well. Breastfeeding did not go well, and when I finally gave it up, I tried to make bottle feeding a similar bonding experience. So, it is hard for me to give it up as well.

I know I can delay giving it up for awhile, but as time goes on, I see her getting more and more attached, so I think sooner rather than later will be better for her.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Trooper HB User
Re: Weaning from the bottle issues...

I had the exact same concerns as you. My dd at 11 months had no interest in the sippy cup either. Plus I didn't want to give up that time with her so I know how you feel. And my dd NEVER held her own bottle. She did at daycare, but never, ever with me. I thought there was going to be no way that she was going to hold her own sippy cup. But she did.

Honestly, she’ll just get the sippy cup. Just give her time. I remember letting my dd hold the sippy and then I’d tilt the sippy for her. After a couple of days, she realized that’s how to get the milk out. I cut off the bottle at 12 months. But honestly do what you feel is right. There is no right or wrong time to take away the bottle. I felt my daughter was ready to be off the bottle – probably more ready than I was to let it go. I started by cutting out her bedtime bottle and replaced it with a drinkable yogurt that she sipped from a straw. Then I cut the afternoon bottle. Then the morning one was replaced with a sippy of milk and oatmeal. With the morning bottle, I took a week where I fed her breakfast at home instead of daycare. So it was easy for me to feed her oatmeal and help her drink from the sippy. The transition happened quicker than I had thought it was going to.

I‘m sure you tried the Nuby brand of sippy. You also can try one of the straw ones. It helps to get her to understand that you can get liquid from other things than the bottle. My dd was on the straw by 9 months. She still loves to drink from a straw.

Just keep giving her the sippy cup all day long, make sure one is near her. She’ll pick it up. And I guarantee you in a couple of months you’ll be worrying about something else and the bottle/sippy situation will be a thing of the past.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

you know what? there is absolutely no reason you should have to take the bottle away from your baby right now! why in the world do doctors keep pushing this ridiculous idea that a baby has to be off the bottle by 12 months???????? they are babies!!!

i found it quite easy to take the bottle away from my oldest at 2 1/2, and with my youngest we did it at 25 months. at that age, they were old enough to understand the idea that they're big girls now and they could use big girl cups to drink out of. we went to the store and i let them pick out their own special sippies for milk and from that point on, the bottles were gone.

my oldest gave it up without a problem. she never ever asked for a bottle again. with my youngest (the very opinionated one!), she whined a little for a night or two, but i told her the bottle was all gone and if she wanted milk, she had to use the cup. so she accepted the cup and after a couple of nights, she started getting excited to pick out her own cup for milk.

let me emphasize again that this was at 2 1/2 and 2 years old!

if you don't want to give up the bottle, don't! why this is a trend right now is beyond me! as long as you take care of your babies teeth, there isn't any reason to get rid of the bottle!

ps - sorry if i sound like i'm "yelling" or being preachy (my family accuses me of that a lot!!!), i just get frustrated when my friends or siblings come to me all panicked because their doctor said their babies had to give up the bottle by a year old!!! it drives me CRAZY!!!! there is just no reason for it!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

My daughter turns one next week and I still give her a small bottle after each nap and at bedtime. I know I can switch that with a sippy cup, but in my opinion, she IS still a baby so why the heck not give her the bottle. My little one does do well with a sippy cup so when we go out, I only take a cup with me, not the bottle just so she's use to that now. Your little one will get the hang of the sippy cup - I think it's like anything, some kids walk, crawl, stand sooner - I think it's the same with the cups. I like the ones with the handles because it helped her get the hang of it better, and I just always had it near her with water in it and she eventually figured it out.

I definitely would take your time if that's what you want to do. I know a lot of people tell you to hurry and get them off the bottle because it's easier to break them of that habit while they're young - and a lot of those people have learned from that experience after their first child. All good advice, but if you still want to enjoy those moments with your little one, then do it. I wouldn't worry that she's going to start school with a bottle.

Closed Thread