It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Why won't my 1 month old poop?!

I recently switched my DS to mostly formula and he hasn't had a BM since Friday afternoon. He is peeing like a champ and filling up his diapers. I also smell him (like maybe he tooted, lol) and I expect to see poop when I open his diaper, but none! He hasn't been acting differently...any reasons why he hasn't gone BM? Any suggestions on how to get things moving? Would syrup work?

He started out with milk-based formula and now is on soy. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Re: Why won't my 1 month old poop?!

Hi Brooke! Im no expert, but Im thinking its probably just his system adjusting to the mostly formula rather than BM. Take into account the switch from milk based to soy and my guess would be that he is just a little backed up. When I switched Taylor from mainly BM to formula, I remember she didnt poop for a little over 24 hours and I was nervous...but she went the very next morning, much to my relief.

I have read over and over that you can use the karo syrup though, if he doesnt go soon. =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Formula is a common culprit for constipation in a baby. Call in to your pediatrician to find out the best way to get him unclogged. You shouldn't have to even take him in, the nurse will probably just tell you what to do over the phone.

Last edited by kittyroo; 04-07-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

befer70 HB User

When my DD was only a few days old she didn't go poop for 6(!) straight days!! We were freaked out and tried everything under the moon, rubbing her tummy (clock-wise), warm baths, excercising (bringing her knees gently up to her tummy), we tried to stimulate her anus with the thermometer, I even gave her fennel and chamomile tea in small doses because she also had massive gas! We called the Pedi and she said that if worst came to worst we could resort to a glycerine suppository to make her go. The latter is still in our fridge, untouched, because we decided to wait for her body to deal with it, and when it finally came, boy did it come!! haha

The pedi said that some babies can go this long without a bowel movement and be fine. This relaxed us a little bit, but still, you can't help but worry! She was exclusively on breastmilk by the way, so no switching to formula either.

I'd say, try all of the above things we tried and see if anything happens. Call your pedi and see if they have any other suggestions.

Hope any of this helps your little one go, Good Luck!

Befer70

Old 04-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
(female)

jill60 HB User

There is a really thick syrup call Malt-Sup-X, you will have to order it from a drug store. You put some in the bottle along with formula. This really works well.

Jill60

Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Clear Karo syrup in the bottle will work too. My daughter was constipated from day one--she had severe colic too--her pedi has us doing karo, baby peaches in the bottle very early to help ease this. If you can do the karo syrup with baby water--that might help too--trust me, she will fill that diaper soon--have the wipes ready.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User

Just a note - our pediatrician recommended Karo syrup and I checked its safety on the manufacturers website. They stated that they will not guarantee the safety for use in babies. Our doctor said there are very remote risks with it; however, it is believed to be safe. We did not take the chance. I just ask that you do your research before giving it to your baby.

My baby was constipated for about the first 2 months of her life. We tried everything we could think of (different formulas, rectal thermometer, wiping the butt with a wipe because the stimulation can help them to push and go, bicycle kicking her legs, gently rubbing her tummy, etc.). Almost nothing worked and we felt horrible for our baby when she would cry from pushing. She is now 3 months old and it is gone. I will say that we just recently switched her formula and that has also helped. She is now on Enfamil Gentlease. She has absolutely no problem pooping anymore and it used to be the #1 topic around here because we were so upset about it.

I wish you the best of luck.

As a side note...I wish that some of the other posters would be careful to say that something WILL FOR SURE do something. That is simply not true and all babies handle things differently. Formula does not ALWAYS constipate a baby. As I know because I have a baby on formula. I ask if you can please not state 100%'s on topic as I have seen this done several times by the same posters.

Last edited by dina08; 04-07-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

When i stopped Bf and switched to formula it took a few days for Jeremy s bowels to adapt and he didn t poop for 3 days either. The dr just told me to wait before giving him any syrup s etc.On the 4th day he pooped and is now pooping once a day . With breast milk he used to poop every 3 to 4 hrs.
Just wanted to share how things went for us.

AMy

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Thanks everyone! and thanks Amy for sharing your side. That makes me feel a bit better knowing DS may only poop once a day now & it's normal. He finally pooped today which I was relieved!

Closed Thread