It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Zantac for Infants

Reulctantly, we are going to start our little one on Zantac today. Her real problem seems to be gas, but the Dr said that we would at least give Zantac a try...as she wouldnt prescribe anything for the gas (other than Mylicom).

For those that have used Zantac for their babies, Im wondering what your experience was. Did it help? Will it help with spit up at all? Im so nervous about giving someone so small a prescription, Im terrified she will be allergic =(

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User
Re: Zantac for Infants

Lily is doing fine on Zantac and we do think it helps. However, she refused to take it at first. I mean she would throw it up every single time. The stuff apparently tastes like peppermint and is awful. We got it flavored grape and she can finally take it. She still coughs and gags; however, she usually gets it down. If not, we have to give it to her again (if she immediately throws it up). I am VERY happy that she is on it though and it definately seems to be helping. She still throws up many of her feedings; however, the gassiness and fussiness seem better.

We give her .5 ml three times a day.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ravaemarie HB User

I have an 11 week old on Prevacid (similar to Zantac). From what I understand, it's not meant to help them from spitting up, it's meant to neutralize the acid in their stomachs so that when they do spit up (and swallow it back down in our case) it doesn't burn and damage their esophogus. I have recently started adding rice cereal to her bottles to help her keep her formula down and it does seem to help, but now she's not having regular bowl movements and I think it's making her tummy hurt. I think I'll stop the rice for a while and see if she gets back her regularity.

I would highly reccommend giving your little one the Zantac, I know they are very little and it seems that they should not have medications when they are so little, but if you think about their burning esophogus, the medication is well worth it, in my opinion...

OH, and I asked about allergies to the Prevacid and was told it would be very HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be allergic to something like this.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Hi G8r

Cody was just put on Zantac as well. I haven't noticed a huge change yet as the Dr. said it will take about a week to see results. He still has the gas issues (I may try some gas drops from the store) but I noticed he hasn't been spitting up a lot. I was also told that the Zantac won't help the spitting up but will help with the pain and as a result, less fussiness.

My DD was also on Zantac at this age and she did fine. Thankfully most babies outgrow this by 9 mos.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

Hello!
My daughter is on Zantac as well. She used to projectile vomit and scream while eating and after eating. We never had issues with just spitting up, it was always flying across the room! After being on the Zantac, she has not vomitted in MONTHS!!!!! She no longer cries while eating and sleeps sooooo much better...it was an absolute LIFE SAVER It broke my heart to see her in so much pain before the medication so I was so thankful that there was something that would help her!

She was also very gassy and would scream when she would pass the gas. After trying everything that they suggested for the gas, the pedi finally prescribed Levsin drops. She was on them for 2 months and all is better...no more gas problems and no more Levsin.

I wish you lots of luck! Keep us posted on how your little one does
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmarie313 HB User

I forgot to add that the way we give the baby her Zantac is while she is drinking her bottle, we stick the syringe on the side of her mouth and slowly give her the medicine. We have never had any problems with her taking it this way. I think she barely can taste it while she is drinking the formula. If we push too much in at one time though, she does get upset Just wanted to share what worked for us! Good luck,
cmarie
*Olivia Grace born 10/23/07...our little miracle!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

My son has been on Zantac for 6 1/2 months. He had horrible back arching, screaming fits. He never spit up really though. He was a projectile vomiter. The solution for that, for us, was a hypo-allergenic formula. Zantac doesn't reduce the amount of spit up, but helps reduce the acid in it, thereby lessening the pain and preventing esophageal damage. It took about a month to take full effect but he's doing so well now. Its like a new baby.

Last edited by doodlebugsmom; 04-09-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Thanks so much for all the advice! We decided to switch to Similac Sensitive as a last resort, before trying the Zantac. So far, she is doing amazingly well on it. No spitting up in over 2 days and very little gas as well. I cant believe it, but I think we have finally found the right formula for her and we are so relieved! Its also comforting to know that we still have the Zantac if need be!

Closed Thread