It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Car Seat Question

My soon to be mother in law thinks that our daughter is too big for her infant seat. I told her that it has to last until her birthday in July because I'm not shedding out more money for a new seat until then.
My daughter is about 21 lbs and her little feet hang over the seat (so...she's a big girl for 8 months!).
I know that car seats must face the rear until baby reaches 20 lbs and one year (not one or the other). So, do I need to step it up and just purchase a bigger one or can I still use the infant seat I have? We just sprung for the extra base a couple of months ago! I really don't want to get another set of seats yet!
I looked up the details online (we have the Graco Snug Ride travel system by Metrolite). It says they're good up to 40 lbs, but it doesn't specify height. Any thoughts? I guess this isn't a health question but more of a safety question. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Car Seat Question

Hm, that's strange that it doesn't tell you a height. I would say though, that if it's good up to 40 lbs, it's probably ok to at least 32 inches I would think. I know the infant seat I had was only good to 22 lbs and 29 inches. And my sister just had to buy another one for her almost 9 mo ds (who's about 23 lbs), and that one is good up to 33 lbs (I believe), and 32 inches. We decided to buy the 3 in 1 carseat/booster before he reached 22 lbs though, because I just hated carting that heavy infant seat around, and we knew it wouldn't be long before we needed a new one anyway. So we had to shell out a bit extra for the fact that it is rear facing as well, but to me it was worth it.
Maybe call the company though, and double check about the height. I can't really see them saying 40 lbs and anything less than 32 inches. Good luck!

Whiskers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Whiskers, Thanks for the reply! I goofed! I was reading the stroller description and not the car seat description...mommy brain.
The car seat is up to 22 lbs and 29". So, not to ask a dumb question, but if my child reaches both these things before the age of one, do I need to buy another seat?? I'm so confused. What if she weighs more than 22 lbs but is shorter than 29"? Sorry to be so silly about the whole thing...I just don't know. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tiff24 HB User

"So, not to ask a dumb question, but if my child reaches both these things before the age of one, do I need to buy another seat?? I'm so confused. What if she weighs more than 22 lbs but is shorter than 29"?"

There's no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to our babies! To answer your question though, I think it's one or the other. If she's reached the weight limit but not the height limit (or visa-versa), it's time for a new seat. We bought a convertible car seat when our son was 7 or 8 months. It can be put rear facing 'til a year and then be switched to forward facing. I would highly recommend one like that. They last quite awhile, I think our's goes to 40 lbs. Aden is now 14.5 months and he just loves it.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Hey Laura,

I agree with Tiff--I think it's whatever comes first--either 22lbs or 29". That was the same as mine. So what you'll need to do when she reaches either one of those is (if you have your own vehicle, and don't need to be taking the seat in and out) get a 3 in 1 seat. We got ours at wal-mart and they're a bit pricey (I live in Canada, and it was about $150) but you can use it as a rear facing seat (from 5lbs), to front facing, to a booster. And I think the maximum weight is something like 45lbs. If you don't own your own vehicle you'll probably have to get a bigger version of what you have now (which is what my sister had to do), and then when she's a year, get yet ANOTHER seat that will be front facing. They're not kidding when they say babies are expensive!!

Whiskers

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

we got our bigger car seat from walmart for about $50. it is the cosco touriva and it has been wonderful with both my kids. the weight limit is like 5-35 pounds for rear facing, and then 22 to 40 pounds for forward facing. it's a no frills car seat, but i've been quite happy with it and both my kids did/do great in it.

as far as if you should get another seat right now.... i'd call the company and ask them....

Old 04-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

I had this same concern when my daughter was younger (she just turned one). She was a big baby and at six months old was really kind of hanging out of it length wise and was pretty heavy as well, but I held on as long as I could. Our Graco Snugfit was good until 22lbs - so when she hit 21 at 7 1/2 months, I decided it was time to switch seats. My concern was if I ever got into an accident, if she was above the weight limit could the seat possible come undone from the base. I ended up buying a convertible carseat which was a bit pricey ($150), BUT it was an infant seat for the five remaining months that she needed it rear-facing, has now converted into the front facing "toddler" seat, and will then convert into a booster seat. I didn't mind spending the money since I knew I was going to get a lot of use out of it. This should "hopefully" be the only seat I'll have to purchase for my car for the remainder of the time she is in one. I am going to purchase a much less expensive "extra" seat for my husband's car for the rare occassion that we use that instead of mine.

Makes you kind of wish they built these things to withstand bigger babies for a longer period of time, doesn't it? I feel like I didn't get enough use out of lots of my stuff.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

If her feet our touching the back seat they can get crushed in an accident.

Also, do no put babies in forward facing seats until 1 year of age. The'yre necks are not strong enough to withstand impact.

What the reccommend you do is buy a convertible car seat which is bigger but still rear facing.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyB_3 View Post
...and just so you know, if your baby is a long one like mine, even in her convertible carseat, her feet were touching the back seat but they had to stay that way until she just turned one because of the neck issue (and obviously state law).

Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyB_3 View Post
Also, do no put babies in forward facing seats until 1 year of age. The'yre necks are not strong enough to withstand impact.

What the reccommend you do is buy a convertible car seat which is bigger but still rear facing.
It doesn't matter. There's never been a reported case of a child suffering broken legs because their feet touched the back seat. It is far safer to keep them rear facing as long as possible, preferably past a year and to the weight limit of the seat for the rear facing position. A collision horrific enough to break a child's legs in the rear facing position would surely cause a broken neck if facing forward.
We have the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 for DS and he will remain rear facing until 33lbs, even if he has to be taught to cross his legs indian style or to prop them up on the back of the seat. It is much safer.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
(female)

beachlovr HB User

Nowhere does it say that an infant car seat is supposed to last until a child is 1 year old. The only thing that is allowed to happen at one year of age is that babies can be turned around to be forward facing (which now many people wait until they are a bit bigger).

Anyway all three of my kids were out of the infant car seat by 6 months of age and then into a convertible car seat (my one son by 4 months). My kids are very tall so always reached the height limit first and then reached the weight soon after. We love our Britax convertible car seat. It does cost more, but we tried a less expensive one and always felt like we were fighting to keep the straps from not twisting.

I have seen women lugging their enormous infants around in that infant car seat and it is just not safe for the obviously large infant to be in that seat or for the poor mothers to actually be straining their backs carrying that seat around. I so wanted to say to them convertible car seat and put it rear facing!!!

I will give this bit of advice. Because my kids were so young when I had to stop using the infant seat, they were still unable to sit up in a grocery cart. So I actually carried the infant car seat in my trunk just to use in the grocery carts until my kids could sit up unassisted.

Last edited by beachlovr; 04-15-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Yes, it is time to get the new seat and to keep it rear facing until 1 year of age. My son grew out of his Chicco infant seat by 10 months. I bought a Britax at BJ's and I love it. It is more expensive, but it will last for years.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I have been patiently reading all of the responses. Thanks so much for the great advice ladies. I am going to start my research now and see how far my dollar will go! Thanks again for the wonderful information!

Last edited by LauraLu; 04-15-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

babyluv01 HB User

also with the 3-in-1 convertible seats is most actually go up to 100 lbs if you get t he one with the built in booster seat. so you can get all the carseat you'll need for the rest of babies carseat time. we are getting the cosco elite, it is real comfortable, great safety ratings and about $150. it'll save you between $20-$40 because of the built in booster. another really great seat is by learningcurve truefit. it doesnt have a booster built in but looks real safe. hth!
2 fur babies - hershey (min pin) & socks (calico)

Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User

I had the Graco safety seat that was "supposed to" last until she was 30 lbs and I think 32 inches. I can't even imagine someone carrying an infant seat with a 30lb baby which, if you're child is thin, could be when they are 2 or 3 even. She didn't last either of those, I just could barely get her into the straps. Once she went to the top shoulder position, at around 9 months, there was so little room to strap her in. This was also during winter, which made it difficult too because I had to find a warm jacket that wasn't too thick for her to fit in the seat. If I had to do it all again, I NEVER would have bought this seat! It is bigger because they say the baby can stay in it longer, but that means it doesn't fit into grocery carts or high chairs like others do.
My convertible seat was the Alpha Omega (3 in 1) made by Costco but I hate it! The straps keep twisting and the buckle is very hard to attach together. I just bought the Britax which is more money but also the safest and more comfortable for the baby. I still have my daughter rear facing but she just turned 1 and I'm considering turning her around.

I would buy a convertible seat but keep your little one rear facing until they are at least 1. Don't worry about the cost, the other seat will last MUCH longer than the infant one and you're going to need it eventually!

Last edited by km7503; 04-22-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Closed Thread