It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User
To Buy or Not to Buy a Double Stroller

Hi everyone. I am expecting my 2nd child in July and my DD will be 2 then. I thought this was the best place to post this question. I had planned to purchase a double stroller since my daughter will only be 2 but wondered about other's experience, if you have one do you use it a lot or is it a lot of trouble? We have a really nice stroller and infant car seat and an umbrella stroller already which we used for my daughter. Thing is I have a friend who has a double stroller someone gave her a while back who offered to let me borrow it for a few months, she's due in Dec. Not sure if I should take her up on the offer or go ahead and buy my own. Just wondered how much use I might get out of it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: To Buy or Not to Buy a Double Stroller

Hey Cookie!!! Hope you are doing well. I think you need to consider your 2 year old daughter. Is she a runner? Would she stay by your side if you had to drop her hand for something or would she take off? Does she listen to you?
Another thing is how often would you use it? Are you a big walker? Does most of your shopping need a stroller or a shopping cart? Are you planning a vacation or summer trips?
I would not recommend the side by side type. They are too wide. The one we have allows you to recline the back seat, but not the front. It also takes the whole area in the back of our van. I have seen ones much smaller and both seats recline. I wanted to get ours because I knew we were going to have more children and I would get a lot of use of it over a couple of years. I just wish I got a different one.Good luck with your decision. Hope I helped a little

Last edited by meechieny; 04-14-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

i highly recommend the joovy sit-n-stand stroller. i use mine all the time and i love it! we got ours when my second child was born, and my first had just turned 2 years old (they're EXACTLY two years apart). my kids are now 2 and 4 years old and i still use the sit-n-stand all the time! my older daughter loves that she has the option of either sitting, kneeling, or standing, and i love that i have the option of strapping her in if i need to (when she doesn't listen to me!).

anyway, i think it's well worth having a double stroller. there are times when you'll especially be grateful to have it.... like when you're at the mall and it's crowded and your baby suddenly has issues, it's really nice to be able to give your attention to the baby without having to worry about where your two year old is wandering off too (another reason i love that i can strap my oldest in when i need to!). hope this helps!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
(female)

beachlovr HB User

I would recommend borrowing your friend's stroller to find out 1) if you actually use/need a double stroller AND 2) whether you like the style of this stroller or would you prefer something different. I bought one at a garage sale that was much older and didn't have a lot of whistles and bells. As it turned out, I really didn't need one that much. I do have friends though that use theirs ALL the time.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
(female)

Cookiem26 HB User

Thanks everyone! My daughter actually does listen to me and minds really well now- holds hands etc. However, I can see the point of when we go to the mall etc. a double stroller being important. I do use the shopping cart a lot more than a stroller when shopping. Also, my daughter is one of the few I know that will still sit in her stroller and not complain although given the chance I know she would rather walk The one stroller we were looking at was the Graco Duoglider, it's inexpensive and seems like it would fit our needs. I am not sure what kind my friend has but may ask her to dig it out, I don't even think she knows . I also was just thinking about the sit and stand one too because that might be another option. Glad to hear some feedback from all of you, it is definitely going to help us make a decision one way or another. Thank you!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

bleigh HB User

I had a duoglider and loved it. I wouldn't borrow from a friend as you she may decide it's not in the same good condition as when you borrowed it. Probably hard to imagine but it happens to the best of friends.
Anyway, you'll still get lots of use out of the double stroller. Many times I would push the stroller and pull the shopping cart on big grocery days. Was grateful the kids had a clean comfy place to sit while I used all the space in the shopping cart.
Go to the a baby store and try out a few of the strollers. I thought I wanted the most expensive I could buy but after pushing around several different ones, I didn't like it at all. They all maneuver differently.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

JellyB_3 HB User

Hi Cookie! Funny seeing you on this board : )

My DS will be 18 months when #2 arrives in July. We do a lot of festivals and all day events in the nice weather, so I"m getting a double so my DS can nap too if he feels like it. I wouldn't want him to stand or sit on a hard bench the whole time.
Also, I feel different about the side by side. I feel like it's easier to manuver than the front and back. THe best thing to do is borrow a stroller, and some kids : ) and see which you prefer!

Good Luck!

Closed Thread