It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

sum1sgirl155 HB User
14 month old wont stop hitting! help!

My 14 month old is constantly hitting. He doesnt think twice about wacking me or his dad in the face...hard! He doesn't only do it when he's mad but he does it all the time. He bites, pinches, and punches. I am starting to get very worried because if this is how he acts at 14 months, what is he going to do when he's older? I don't know where he got it from but I need to put an end to this because it can be very frustrating, and it hurts!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

sum1sgirl155 HB User
Re: 14 month old wont stop hitting! help!

anyone have any ideas??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

My granddaughter started to do this. Every time she did it, the adult holding her (the victim) firmly said "NO HITTING" and put her down on the floor. It must be every time, and never ever laugh or let him get away with it. Use your angry face and voice for this, it is something he must learn.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ament HB User

My daughter hits when she gets angry as well. I grab her arms firmly and say "No, don't hit Mommy." She usually throws a fit but I think eventually she'll get it.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

My 13 month old is going through this wonderful stage right now where she hits in the face, pulls hair, or grabs and pinches my cheek or bottom lip. She isn't doing it because she's angry, she's just doing it and it's kind of freaking me out a bit - like you said, it hurts. I always take her hand and say "No, No!!" and then put her down or move her away from me, but she's 13 months - she's not quite getting it and even laughs at me sometimes when I correct her. No, I'm not smiling at her at all at this point, and we can do the same routine for 1/2 hour - she lifts her hand, I hold it and say "NO", she lifts her hand, etc., etc. I think part of the problem is that everyone thought her tapping them in the face or on their hands was so cute and part of a game, but now she's older and stronger it's not so cute. The one thing she does when angry is on occassion when I am changing her diaper and she's tired and crabby is kick me like crazy - makes me nuts. Now I turn my body so she can't kick it because I don't want to grab her leg or keep trying to maneuver around her legs and accidentally hurt her.

I'm really a little stressed over this - like you, I think it needs to be addressed and stopped now or she'll be a complete nightmare within a few months...but then another part of me keeps thinking that I've got to just keep reinforcing the "no" and try to be patient because she is so young and is still really learning. Obviously a time out would not work because she's too young - the reasoning is not their yet, so I just keep doing what I'm doing.

Sorry this post wasn't too helpful - just thought you might like to know someone else has a very similar issue and is concerned about it as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by luckydarlin; 05-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

sum1sgirl155 HB User

Well that helps knowing I'm not alone. What really gets me is the look in his face when hes pinching my lip or has a chunk of my hair. It looks like he knows hes hurting me and is getting a kick out of it. Sometimes when he gets me really hard I have to walk away and take a breather so that I dont lose control.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1sgirl155 View Post
Sometimes when he gets me really hard I have to walk away and take a breather so that I dont lose control.
Two days ago my daughter had a block in each of her hands. I was laying on the floor and she crawled up on my chest and cracked me HARD in my eyes with the blocks. I had to place her on the floor and walk away because it hurt SO bad. I try my hardest not to react other than the "No, No!!" because I'm not sure if the reaction would encourage the behavior.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

When my daughter started this I also said no firmly, but it only made her laugh. Instead I began to act sad, that it hurts me and makes me feel sad when she treats me that way and I show her a lot of compassion, so now we will say, "I'm sorry mama, it's okay." and she will hug me and rub my back. Try to make the child see that it makes you sad when they hit and it isn't nice, it worked great for us.

Closed Thread