It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

benjack123 HB User
Best formula for reflux

My baby is about 2 months with pretty bad reflux. Right now he is on ready to feed good start soy. I changed him to soy because I was thinking he might have a milk allergy. I had a bad allergy to milk as a child. He seemed to be doing better on the soy, but at the same time I switched to soy I switched to ready to feed from powder. So now I am thinking he is doing better because it is ready to feed and not because its soy. See last night I bought the powder version of the soy and all of his symptoms returned with a vengenance, not that they were all gone, but it seems like maybe the powder version aggravates his reflux. i was thinking maybe because it is thinner than the ready to feed. SO now I am rethinking the whole formula thing. I was thinking about using the thickened formula, but I have heard some bad stuff about it. So any help would be appreciated in this regard.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dina08 HB User
Re: Best formula for reflux

My daughter has bad reflux and we finally found a formula that helped. We are on Enfamil AR and she takes Zantac 3 times a day. The formula is a little thicker to begin with (you may have to make the nipple hole bigger) and then when it encounters stomach acid, it thickens up making it more difficult to throw up (since it's more solid). A note about Zantac -apparently it tastes like mint and awful. Our pharmacy is making it from scratch at the pharmacy rather than taking it from the manufacturer because they can make it without adding the mint flavoring. This is the only way my daughter could take the medicine without throwing up.

We also keep her upright for feedings and some time afterwards and the head of her crib mattress is also raised.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #3
(female)

doodlebugsmom HB User

Well, its not uncommon for a reflux baby to have milk and/or soy allergies. Allergies also tend to intensify reflux symptoms. My son can't handle milk or soy, so we use Nutramigen. I didn't really notice a huge amount of difference between RTF, concentrate and powder other than that, when he was real young, the powder constipated him, so we used strictly liquid concentrate for about 2 months. To treat his reflux symptoms he's on Zantac and thickened feeds, using Thick It. I'd talk to the doctor about what formula would be best for your baby rather than switching around blindly.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

ivana27 HB User

Hi,
I saw your post, and knowing what a problem reflux is I said to myself I have to reply.
My baby was born at 34 weeks. She had bad reflux, would cry all the time, choke and we were so scared! Breast milk was better tolerated, but my milk supply wasn't enough. We tried different formulas, the one with rice starch as well (that made her so gassy and constipated that she couldn't sleep at night), but what saved our sanity was Similac Alimentum. It is miraculous! My daughter smiled for the first time after we started using it. It is the most expensive on the market I believe, but is worth it! It is lactose free and predigested or something like that, so is very gentle on baby's stomach. I read some bad stuff about Nutramigen over the internet (like is linked to learning problems later in life), I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't risk it. It is the equivalent of Alimentum, but from Enfamil.
I have also noticed that ready to feed is better than powder, but it's a matter of mixing it really well before you feed. I shake the bottle a lot.
Another thing that helped tremendously was to use Dr. Brown's bottles, not move her too much after she eats and keep her head elevated for an hour or so. I also don't put her to sleep on her back, but on her side.
My baby is 4 months now, we still use lots of bibs a day, but it is getting better each day and since Alimentum she is a happy spitter
Take care,
Ivana

Closed Thread