It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Infant Care (up to 18 months old) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
(female)

saskflash HB User
Stuffy Nose at 1 week old??

HI
My one week old daughter has a very snotty/stuffy nose and it scares me to listen to her breath (she hasn't seemed to grasp the concept of breathing out of her mouth!). Is she in danger because of her stuffed nose?? Will this make it so she can't breath at all??? Is this normal??

Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Re: Stuffy Nose at 1 week old??

I think most babies have this. It's their way of getting the rest of the liquid out of their bodies that was in the womb. Did you have a C section? I think babies who are born from C's usually have more issues with this because they may not have been able to get it all out on the way out so to speak. I think if you use one of those aspirators that pull mucus out of the nose, it will help her to breathe a bit more normally. It will go away. You should have a pediatrician visit soon though right? You can also ask then. BTW, it is normal for babies this young to not breathe through their nose...I'm not sure when they start this but it takes at least a couple of months I think before they figure it out. Good luck and congrats on your new little one!!

Last edited by km7503; 06-21-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Babies are exclusive nose breathers until at around 6 months or so. They have to be in order to nurse or take a bottle and breathe at the same time. Ask your pediatrician what to do about the stuffiness.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

That's very interesting, Kittyroo.. I never heard of that before!
My nephew had major issues with this as well, and my sister was told to use a nasal spray to loosen the mucus so his nose would run. I think it was just a saline nasal spray, but it was intended for infants (I believe). So you might want to look into that, but if you get the chance, definitely talk to you ped about it. Congrats!

Whiskers

Old 06-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

I remember my newborns being that way after birth from all the excess mucus. I would try the nasal aspirator. It never got in the way of breastfeeding, their passages always opened up when they started nursing.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
(female)

dianneom HB User

Sometimes when a baby has reflux the milk backs up into the nose. I've had this happen to me with my 18th newborn foster baby. She had a very hard time breathing. This is when I learned newborns only breath from the mouth. I guess I was lucky with all the other babys. Anyway, at the hospital I was told to drop some saline into the babys nose and then use an aspirator to pull out the dried milk. Worked great, the babys breathing was so much better and I think she like me doing it for her.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User

my son had this the first few weeks after he was born. it clears i wouldnt worry about it, my sons nose it clear as can be now lol i think its just the liquids from the womb

Closed Thread