So our little guy just had his chicken pox vacine - and it has been a wonderful week of dealing with a small outbreak and hubby who now has chicken pox. Don't know who is really the baby our 12mo old or my 40 year old hubby...
At any rate...during our Drs visit, they wanted to give him the combo MMR vacine. I have a few concerns and would love to get input
1) I requested to wait until 16-18mos - just to see if our little one may have autism or signs of autism? I am I being a crazy first time mom?
2) The combo MMR vacination has made a ton of press - the potential link to autism...does anyone have insight on this combo vacine or any suggestions?
Since our little one was adopted from Korea and has some biological family medical info...I think I maybe getting caught up in the 1st mommy stuff.
It's ultimately your decision to wait on this. There's no real clear cut yes or no answer, so I'm sorry that I cannot help you out. It's one of the stickiest debates you will ever have with both yourself and others.
Personally, I have chosen to give my 11 month old daughter every vaccine thus far. However, I am chosing to opt out of the MMR for her 12 month visit for now. I know that mercury has been removed; however, the combination of all three at once just makes me too nervous. I'm just going to wait. I figure waiting will not hurt her.
Good luck with your decision, and make sure you do your research. I hope your husband is feeling better soon!
I will be breaking up the MMR into 3 shots, sometime after my DS is a year or two. Measles first, then mumps later and so forth. Not all peeds will do this for you, but if you feel strongly about it, you will find one that will.
I agree with LauraLu- trust your gut, do your research, and decide for yourself what is best for your little one. Do what you feel comfortable with. I have a very personal connection to autism, I believe that there is a genetic component (in addition to other agents) because I have multiple family members with autism my husband and I have decided to place my 11month DD on a delayed vaccine schedule (therefore she will not be ready for her MMR at 12months). She is getting her shots, only on a different schedule than most kids. I think shots are important and life-saving, however, I also believe there are just "too many too soon" for SOME kids. Some kids get all the shots on time and have no ill-effects, but I do believe that in SOME kids there are ill-effects (I'm not saying they cause autism, I'm just saying some kids have a harder time processing all the agents in vaccines...so please nobody yell at me, I'm not trying to start a debate here, only giving my opinion).
In the past doctors have had the opportunity to split up the MMR (i.e. give the measels shot at one visit then the mumps shot at another and the ruebella at another), however this practice was discontinued by most doctors a few years ago. A friend of mine said that she thought her ped did it, but I have been unable to find one in my area that does it...all of them say it is no longer a possibility.
Autism is a scary things these days...and the vaccine controversy has hit the media hard the last few years now that several "stars" have begun to take action in the "green our vaccines" campaign.
The best advice I have is to READ READ READ the research...and decide for yourself, but become educated on both sides of the debate to make an educated decision.
I recently struggled with the same decision. My daugther is 15 weeks and is currently on a delayed vaccination schedule. She has had her first round and is now due for her second. After much research, I have decided to give her all of the scheduled shots, except the MMR. I dont plan on putting her in dayscare until around 3, so I will reconsider (possible breaking it into 3 shots) at that time.
Good luck with your decision.
Enjoying every second with our little love, Taylor Peyton!!
Just do make sure that the facts you base your decision on are verifiable ones, as there are plenty of strange rumors on the internet.
DPT, HiB, and rotavirus should not be delayed because those are intended to protect the baby during vulnerable infancy, the others, doing a little later than recommended is probably not a big deal. Probably wise to get them in before you start school/daycare however, because there have been measles outbreaks in recent years.
Last edited by janewhite1; 06-21-2008 at 07:46 PM.